PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Could you please rate my miniboss Wardancer build?

Aidamis
2019-05-17, 11:59 AM
Thinking about adding some Warhammer flavor to my campaign. For now it’s just an NPC.
Wardancers are basically Wood Elf forest guardians, lightly armored warriors who wield two blades and move in small shock infantry groups. They have traits of soldiers, dancers, monks and storytellers. They’re worshippers of the Trickster God.

For the context, I’m thinking about making him an exile, allegedly for his madness, though he’s actually possessed by an evil spirit. The party will be tasked with eliminating the Elf. Therefore it’s a miniboss character the party can choose to kill, or try to spare.

I’ll likely have a party of four Level 2 players, so this boss’ Level should probably be around 6 since I don’t want to make the encounter too hard.

For the class, I was thinking Kensei Monk since wardancers have little in the armor department but use two shortswords. Stat distribution should be 8 14 14 10 15 10 before racial bonuses, afterwards this should become 8 16 14 10 16 10. The level 4 feat is Alert.
The character will have 16 AC and 35 HP, deal three attacks per turn (including the offhand weapon) and benefit from all the Kensei rules up to 6th level.

So, what do you think of this?

Thank you for your feedback!

JackPhoenix
2019-05-17, 12:59 PM
Don't make it as a PC.

35 hp for "boss" is riddiculous, it'll be dead in one round. Adding all PC abilities is pointless.

Swashbuckler from VGtM fits your needs about perfectly, IMO... CR3, so not very hard for the party, 66 hp, AC 17, 3 attacks, mobile and lightly armored. Just refluff things, switch rapier and dagger for 2 short swords or scimitars and add whatever ability you feel is absolutely necessary for the concept to have.

Unoriginal
2019-05-17, 02:50 PM
Don't make it as a PC.

35 hp for "boss" is riddiculous, it'll be dead in one round. Adding all PC abilities is pointless.

Swashbuckler from VGtM fits your needs about perfectly, IMO... CR3, so not very hard for the party, 66 hp, AC 17, 3 attacks, mobile and lightly armored. Just refluff things, switch rapier and dagger for 2 short swords or scimitars and add whatever ability you feel is absolutely necessary for the concept to have.

This, 100%. Or you could use the Martial Artist statblock and swap some of the Monk's stuff for dance-based techniques.

I suppose looking at the Rakdos NPCs from the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica could give you what you want, too.