PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Passing myself Off as Someone Else

blackjack50
2019-05-17, 04:12 PM
So at low level (like 4-5) I have a backup character idea. He is going to be a liar. Constantly pass himself off as someone else. Never introduce myself by the same name to different groups of people. Basically? I’d be Janitor from “Scrubs.” What classes and roles would be good for constantly being deceitful about who I am?

Aett_Thorn
2019-05-17, 04:15 PM
Sounds like a Mastermind Rogue or a Whispers Bard to me.

1Pirate
2019-05-17, 04:19 PM
Warlock with Actor feat and Mask of Many Faces.

Galithar
2019-05-17, 04:41 PM

This. I have a character that does this to hide that he's Warforged. You can basically turn into whoever you want at any time and you have advantage on all rolls of somehow happens to doubt you. Though unless you're impersonating a specific person there is little reason for that to even happen.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-17, 04:54 PM

This. I have a character that does this to hide that he's Warforged. You can basically turn into whoever you want at any time and you have advantage on all rolls of somehow happens to doubt you. Though unless you're impersonating a specific person there is little reason for that to even happen.

Don't forget Prestidigitation, which makes you smell like someone, too. Or add/remove a bit of dirt and grease.

Galithar
2019-05-17, 04:56 PM
Don't forget Prestidigitation, which makes you smell like someone, too. Or add/remove a bit of dirt and grease.

I never thought of being detected via smell...

I must look into ways to use this!!

Tallytrev813
2019-05-17, 04:59 PM

This is the right answer.
I played this character in CoS - we’d kill a bad guy in Borovia and I’d just impersonate them in the town.

To be more specific - a Tiefling Warlock with Actor who goes Pact of the Tomb

In addition to high Cha skills with +Adv, you also get Thumaturgy, Prestidig, AND minor Illusion.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-17, 05:02 PM
I never thought of being detected via smell...

I must look into ways to use this!!

While we're at it, you could enchant stones with Nystul's Magic Aura, and then cover them in lead for when you don't want them to be detected. One for each alignment, one for each planar creature type, and now you can be "detected" as anything you want.

Galithar
2019-05-17, 05:07 PM
While we're at it, you could enchant stones with Nystul's Magic Aura, and then cover them in lead for when you don't want them to be detected. One for each alignment, one for each planar creature type, and now you can be "detected" as anything you want.

I've actually thought of that. I'd have to be a wizard to get Nystul's. I am looking into finding a Wizard that I can get on retainer to make himself available to cast it when needed though! Or at least make contracts with him to get it permanenced on items/myself.

Lunali
2019-05-17, 06:28 PM

Planar creature type yes, but ones for alignment will almost certainly be wasted effort, there are very few things that are based on alignment at all and the majority of them won't care about the aura.

dragoeniex
2019-05-17, 07:45 PM
Warlock with Mask of Many Faces has become the default answer.

However, if your DM allows it, I'd say a Changeling of any class would be perfectly appropriate. Even better if there's the possibility of you earning some glamoured studded leather. If you're really wanting features to throw on top, pick up proficiency with a forgery kit to give your identities their own proper paperwork.

Why lie about being a thousand people when you really can be?

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-17, 07:51 PM
Warlock with Mask of Many Faces has become the default answer.

However, if your DM allows it, I'd say a Changeling of any class would be perfectly appropriate. Even better if there's the possibility of you earning some glamoured studded leather. If you're really wanting features to throw on top, pick up proficiency with a forgery kit to give your identities their own proper paperwork.

Why lie about being a thousand people when you really can be?
Agreed. Class-wise, go with a generalist like a Swords or Valor Bard so you can pretend to have any sort of skill that comes up.

Unoriginal
2019-05-18, 05:35 AM
So at low level (like 4-5) I have a backup character idea. He is going to be a liar. Constantly pass himself off as someone else. Never introduce myself by the same name to different groups of people. Basically? I’d be Janitor from “Scrubs.” What classes and roles would be good for constantly being deceitful about who I am?

It's literally what the Charlatan background is for.

Galithar
2019-05-18, 06:56 AM
It's literally what the Charlatan background is for.

Not quite. Mechanically it only gives you a 'second life' and the ability to forge documents. That's acting like 2 people. Not never acting like the same person twice.

Unoriginal
2019-05-18, 07:04 AM
Not quite. Mechanically it only gives you a 'second life' and the ability to forge documents. That's acting like 2 people. Not never acting like the same person twice.

You're right. Though forged documents, a disguise kit and a good CHA (Deception) can easily allow that.

diplomancer
2019-05-18, 09:08 AM
Disguise self has the disadvantage of not passing physical inspection. If you want to avoid that problem while still having a good chance of passing off as someone else, the combination of Shiftweave (a common magical item-from Eberron, but your DM might let you buy it anyway), a disguise kit, and the Actor feat works wonders.

Naanomi
2019-05-18, 01:36 PM
Assassin offers specific benefits for this sort of thing as well; I did a halfling Assassin charlatan who pretended to be a child of other races that was fun

Beleriphon
2019-05-18, 02:33 PM
Assassin offers specific benefits for this sort of thing as well; I did a halfling Assassin charlatan who pretended to be a child of other races that was fun

And it only gets better if you insist the character sounds like Will Arnett, Peter Dinklage, or Barry White (go with Barry White).