PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts of Salt Marsh - Sea Elf Bladesinger build

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-05-17, 04:40 PM
Starting a Ghosts of Salt Marsh campaign when it gets released. I realize that it's more coastal than deep sea voyaging, but a lot of us are going thematic for it anyway, so I figured a Sea shanty singing, swashbuckler-esque Wizard would be fun.

Anyway, we're starting at level 2 with a free feat and I'm curious what would get me the most mileage. It's 27-point buy, so what I'm currently thinking for stats is: 8, 17, 14, 15, 8, 12 after racials. I realize that Cha would be better to dump than Wis, but my last few characters dumped Cha and I want to be a little smarmy and likeable this time.

I'm unsure what would work best for a level 1 feat. I know Mobile is highly rated. War Caster could also work, but Bladesinging and positioning should help with concentration. I could also grab Keen Mind/Observant to even out Int, then get Elven Accuracy at level 4 to even out Dex. If I was to grab a non half feat at level 1, I'd take a split ASI for +1 Dex, +1 Int at level 4.

Any advice? No UA, Ravnica, MtoF, or WGtE for this game.

djreynolds
2019-05-17, 09:57 PM
Starting a Ghosts of Salt Marsh campaign when it gets released. I realize that it's more coastal than deep sea voyaging, but a lot of us are going thematic for it anyway, so I figured a Sea shanty singing, swashbuckler-esque Wizard would be fun.

Anyway, we're starting at level 2 with a free feat and I'm curious what would get me the most mileage. It's 27-point buy, so what I'm currently thinking for stats is: 8, 17, 14, 15, 8, 12 after racials. I realize that Cha would be better to dump than Wis, but my last few characters dumped Cha and I want to be a little smarmy and likeable this time.

I'm unsure what would work best for a level 1 feat. I know Mobile is highly rated. War Caster could also work, but Bladesinging and positioning should help with concentration. I could also grab Keen Mind/Observant to even out Int, then get Elven Accuracy at level 4 to even out Dex. If I was to grab a non half feat at level 1, I'd take a split ASI for +1 Dex, +1 Int at level 4.

Any advice? No UA, Ravnica, MtoF, or WGtE for this game.

Mobile is nice, but IMO with your high AC, let them swing at you and miss and waste their reaction attacks... its a thought.

Keen mind might work with this new sea campaign actually.

But I would grab war caster at 1st level, getting in a reaction strike with a spell is nice.

I'm not to sold on elven accuracy, why not just even out dex and int.

Good luck

Callak_Remier
2019-05-18, 12:03 AM
Dont forget that sweet sweet net proficiency.

hymer
2019-05-18, 03:20 AM
Warcaster is more interesting if you intend to dual-wield. It lets you cast spells without needing to worry about putting your off-hand away.
Personally, I'd go with Resilient (Dex). You've got your AC taken care of between high dex, bladesong, shield, and light armour. This makes it more interesting to target you with save attack spells, where Con and Dex are the most common. Since your Con is an even score, I'd go with Dex there.

beargryllz
2019-05-19, 01:31 PM
Warcaster or improved initiative for the free feat

Vogie
2019-05-20, 09:03 AM
I usually don't encourage Observant, but with a -1 in Wisdom it'd probably be worth it so you aren't just stepping on rakes the entire campaign.

Sexyshoeless
2019-05-20, 09:32 AM
If you plan to do any sort of melee with this wizard (and even if you don't) do not underestimate the raw power of stats. More spells prepped, more AC. The power of the bladesinger is in the absolutely bonkers AC you can put out. So max your int and dex ASAP to really squeeze as much as you can out of the subclass.

Up to you but I have had great success forgoing offensive cantrips entirely and relying on weapons/racial longbow proficiency for my non spell damage.

With a free warcaster feat you can dual wield without worries, maximizing your melee DPS even when things like shadowblade come online. I definitely wouldn't invest in elven accuracy- even if you crit you won't get that much out of it for a feat investment and pumping dex or int will get similar results in raising your accuracy. You're better off just taking the ASI if DM will let you or taking war caster and then using ASIs to even out two stats at once.