PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Storm King's Thunder Relic

CosmicOccurence
2019-05-17, 05:34 PM
So I'm running storm king's thunder and am putting together an alternate ending where they actually meet with the giant gods and restore the ordening however they want (assuming they earn the privilege). I've created a relic called the ambassador's cube (open to name changes) which one pc has at the start of the game. Each side of the cube has a rune of one specific giant type.

Basically if they earn the trust/friendship of a giant, that species rune will forever be activated, indicating a friendship with giant kind (though it won't be a free pass against giant fights or make all giants non evil). They'll need to get all sides activated to meet with the gods to show giantkind's trust in them as an impartial mediator.

SO, I want this to have magical effects as they go. And I'm hitting a bit of a wall ... It could work in a few different ways,
1) ongoing effect always active
2) ongoing effect, but only one side at a time
3) instantaneous effect 1/long rest or variable by power.

I'm leaning #3 for now, but would welcome input/advice. I'm worried option 3 may give the player who actually has it a bit too much narrative agency, but I can play with that.

Hill Giant Effect: I was thinking a hit point surge? The party is kinda squishy
Stone Giant: Tremorsense is what I'm thinking as a buff for our non darkvisioned friends so they don't always need light (and our arcane is a sorcerer, so he has better things to blow spells known on)
Cloud Giant: no idea, and this will likely be the first one they get. Maybe magic related? I don't want to show all the favor to the arcanes.
Fire Giant: Perhaps a heat metal check or a more general magic blacksmith thing? (like, can reshape a metal object )
Ice Giant: if cloud giant ends up being mage focused, this one should be martial focused, but I have no clear ideas at the moment
Storm Giant: again no idea, but this should probably be the most powerful of all of them (I already have two characters who breath underwater naturally due to racial perks.)