PDA

View Full Version : The Witcher

Vulion
2007-10-04, 08:39 PM
I don't know about yoy guys, but I am INCREDIBLEY excited bout this game. Now I admit, I was a bit biased in my excitment at first, mostly cause I'm Polish and the game is made by a Polish company, CDproject.

Yet, as I sat at my computer and absorbed all the inforamtion I could, I became excited for another reason. It looks like an AMAZING RPG. The innovations, the butterfly effects in the storyline, the BADASS main character.

Anyway, before I have a joygasm, I would like to hear your opinions on this.

Winterwind
2007-10-04, 09:04 PM
I didn't know a game about the Witcher was being made, but in that case, it might become the first game in a long time I purchase. I mean, an RPG based on Sapkowski's fiction? That could get truly great!

Will have to tell my cousin that he shall get me a copy as soon as it is out. :smallcool:

Morty
2007-10-05, 12:36 PM
I had my doubts about it, but now it looks like the game will meet its expectations and will be first good Polish game since Painkiller.
From what I've heard, it's got good plot, dialogues, combat and Geralt is as badass as he's supposed to be. And those aren't only designers' braggings, as I've seen opinions of people who played it.
My joy is a bit diminished by the fact that there's no way it'll run on my computer, though. But I guess it's big time to change it anyway.
On a side note, Vader's "Sword of the Witcher" kicks ass.

Winterwind
2007-10-05, 12:51 PM
What are the hardware requirements going to be?
Good thing I was going to get a new computer sometime soon anyway...

I just hope it will be enough of a success to warrant more Polish games coming out. If the company sinks a lot of money into it, yet fails to make profit, this could be bad for the entire industry. It's a bit worrying that on these rather active forums only three people have posted in this thread so far, all three of them Polish.

Morty
2007-10-05, 12:54 PM
What are the hardware requirements going to be?
Good thing I was going to get a new computer sometime soon anyway...

I don't know exactly; it was sufficent sufficent to know that it's not going to run on my computer, so I never checked for details. They ought to be somewhere though.

I just hope it will be enough of a success to warrant more Polish games coming out. If the company sinks a lot of money into it, yet fails to make profit, this could be bad for the entire industry. It's a bit worrying that on these rather active forums only three people have posted in this thread so far, all three of them Polish.

Worrying maybe, but not all that strange. I guess that for people who didn't read Sapkowski's books -that aren't well known west of Poland- it's just another action RPG.

Winterwind
2007-10-05, 01:03 PM
I don't know exactly; it was sufficent sufficent to know that it's not going to run on my computer, so I never checked for details. They ought to be somewhere though.I'll look into what they have done so far sometime, then.

Worrying maybe, but not all that strange. I guess that for people who didn't read Sapkowski's books -that aren't well known west of Poland- it's just another action RPG.Admittedly I haven't read nearly as many of his books as I would like to have either. Whenever I am in Poland I always return with a huge load of books, but for some reason the Witcher books have not been amongst them, yet.

My main contact with his works was the collection of Fantastyka magazines from the 80ies my mother gave me, including short stories such as Droga z której się nie wraca and some other, set in the Witcher's world.

warty goblin
2007-10-05, 01:29 PM
I know of the game (havn't read the books) it looks interesting, though whether or not I'll be able squeeze it into the fall's game purchases is doubtful, between games like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Neverwinter expansion, I still wanna get my hands on Shivering Isles, maybe Gears for PC, the new Dawn of War expansion... There's just so much coming out this fall, and I have so little money...

Bottom line: I'm waiting until I've read some reviews.

Ranis
2007-10-05, 01:36 PM
I've never heard of this before, can someone link me?

Morty
2007-10-05, 01:40 PM
I've never heard of this before, can someone link me?

Here's (http://www.thewitcher.com/) the official website. I think there should be some basic info on the game.

Ranis
2007-10-05, 02:11 PM
I look at this website, and it screams, "potential." It looks like this isn't really being different from a lot of other "RPG"s being produced these days; just very, very pretty. As much of what we're learning today is that graphics aren't going to get much better, so we can stop comparing games by how good they look or what flavor they're in, but on whether or not the gameplay will match up with what people are expecting-free flowing gameplay, choice, storyline, and character depth.

Right now, this game immediately screams "Van Helsing in emo world." We'll see how it comes out, though.

Morty
2007-10-05, 02:13 PM
Right now, this game immediately screams "Van Helsing in emo world." We'll see how it comes out, though.

If they interpreted Sapkowski's world even halfway properly, it won't be emo. And from what I've seen -I've read the review of almost-done version- they did. I had my fears that it's going to be Oblivion-like RPG wannabe, but it seems they were futile. They have loads of potential here, as they're basing of great series of books and novels, I hope they indeed used it to the full.

Winterwind
2007-10-05, 02:26 PM
"Świat w który wkraczasz to nie miejsce dla mięczaków, trzeba sobie jakoś radzić."
Polish mentality in a nutshell. :smallbiggrin:

No, it is not emo, most definitely not. Quite the opposite, actually.

Prustan
2007-10-05, 03:25 PM
Didn't know about it until I saw the 'Pre-order the Collector's Edition now!' sign at my local gaming store, and was intrigued by the stuff that it was coming with. Looked good, so I checked it out.
Interested, but I can't play it until I get my new computer.