PDA

View Full Version : How would you run a game with Ogres?

tedcahill2
2019-05-18, 12:49 PM
So trying to messing around with hit points and damage scaling and all that, is way too hard to do. So maybe I can try for some other advice.

I want to run a game in a setting that's been rattling around my head for a few years. I call it, Ogre Reign. In Ogre Reign their was an event that devestated the continent; a black obelisk fell from the heavens, and struck the earth. The shock wave it produced wiped out magic (as in a massive dispelling wave, though it's affect on items was permanent). The obelisk continues to periodically radiate it's antimagic wave, making the production of new magic items impossible. Finally, this wave creates undead. Basically these radiating waves are bad times for the whole continent.

Beset by the undead, and with no magic to use against them, kith cities were greatly weakened. This left an opening for the many tribes of Ogres to enslave the kith and take the strongholds for themselves.

So basically I want this game to feel hard. I want facing even a single Ogre to be deadly beyond the CR 4 they are in the monster manual. I need to rescale some bonuses that players would normally obtain through gear and magic to add in as a bonus by level, save, attack, and attribute progression will probably need to be increased. Wizard, Sorcerer and Dread Necromancer will not be playable. Beguiler, and Warmage will be playable, and I'm going to homebrew a few other fixed list casters for protection magic and divination I think. I want to nix a bunch of spells, most travel spells like fly and teleport, high level magic probably won't exist, spells will cap at maybe level 7. Cleric and Druid will both be reworked to use fixed lists.

Crake
2019-05-18, 01:02 PM
Can't you just... y'know, give them class levels? Treat the standard ogre as you would a level 1 human commoner, then design their communities based on that, granting the important ogres all class levels as if they were standard NPCs?

XionUnborn01
2019-05-18, 01:11 PM
Can't you just... y'know, give them class levels? Treat the standard ogre as you would a level 1 human commoner, then design their communities based on that, granting the important ogres all class levels as if they were standard NPCs?

This is probably the easiest. Basically have the CR4 version as a "level 1" ogre. Then add levels or even just HD. You can even add new attributes like ogres with a X amount of Monstrous Humanoid HD are like a more feral version of ogres and they dont use much equipment at all. Then you can make aristocrat type ogres, barbarians, etc. You can make a bunch of generic stat sheets to mix and match encounters.

zlefin
2019-05-18, 02:07 PM
playing an E6 game and letting the ogres also get up to 6 class levels would handle that fine.

ShurikVch
2019-05-18, 04:58 PM
Some suggestions:

CR 5
Skullcrusher Ogre (Monster Manual III) - 8 HD
Design & Development - Monster Makeover: The Ogre Mage (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060721a)
Free Ogre (Rokugan Campaign Setting) - 8 HD, Immortal (i. e. everliving and immune to all diseases), and have constant and unlimited-range Detect Ogres

Templates:
Primordial Giant (Secrets of Xen'drik)
Half-Ogre (Dragon #313)
Ogre Titan (Price of Courage) - Awe-Inspiring Presence will make them natural leaders of all ogrekin; and Necromantic Talent make them healed by Negative Energy - which may be useful in Undead-infested world
Kaiju (Dragon #289) - if you need even bigger and stronger Ogres, that's +40 HD, Colossal size, etc

Kayblis
2019-05-18, 05:35 PM
I can't help but feel that a "no magic items, limited spellcasting, most magic classes banned/altered" scenario is not really a match for D&D 3.5. You're basically trying to use a single hammer to do surgery.

If you're up to the task of remaking most of the system, the "ogres are too weak" part is the simplest of them. Just give them class levels, and if you want more feral ones give them more Giant HD. The example in MM1 of an ogre with 4 barbarian levels is a good start. Do note their Will and Reflex saves will suck no matter what.

MisterKaws
2019-05-18, 07:53 PM
Maybe give modified vows of poverty to players. That'd be fine. Just remove the useless bonus feats and instead give them the ability to choose a special effect at first and every even level afterwards, like getting a new item.

RNightstalker
2019-05-22, 06:35 PM
For what you're explaining, how about the Ogres having a monopoly on magic; healing potions and scrolls about as easy to find as artifacts.