PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fiends.

BardicDuelist
2007-10-04, 09:17 PM
Which do you prefer: Demons, or Devils?
Also, who is your favorite archdevil and/or demon prince?

I tend to prefer devils because they are easier to roleplay and create whole intricate plots out of their personalities. Demons work great for the whole "Apocolypse coming, everyone run!" scenario though.

When it comes to archdevils: I like Mephistopheles, with Levistus in a close second. The first is because of Faust, the second because I love swashbucklers.
When it comes to demon princes: Graz'zt all the way. You can plot with him, in fact, you can create infinite plots which are occuring at once and have him get distracted by each of them. I enjoy that.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-04, 09:33 PM
Devils, all the way. The only demon that matches 'em is Succubus. Games of seduction are what sets apart a legendary campaign from a very good one.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-04, 09:36 PM
Oh, and for lords, Asmodeus and Demogorgon FTW. I once made them battle, and set them as CR 20010 enemies. The PC's didn't fight 'em, of course, they squared off. And they both lowered each other to 3 hp.

JackMage666
2007-10-04, 09:41 PM
I'm partial to Asmodeous and Grazz't, personally, though Jubilex is a fun creature too. Devils are good for long term, Demons are good for short. Jubilex is good for PCs who try to go places they shouldn't.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-10-04, 09:43 PM
Actually, I beliebe Asmodeus is only CR 40-50 ish.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-10-04, 09:59 PM
CR40-50? Then, I'd have become king of all hells looooooong ago. Nope, Asmodeus is godlike, he can't be THAT easy.

The_Snark
2007-10-04, 10:02 PM

That's the epic-level Aspect. The real Asmodeus is not statted; he's as powerful as you care to make him.

I actually have a soft spot for demons, particularly obyrinths. (For Lord Dagon!) Phobias are such fun to inflict on your characters. And demons can create intricate plots also; Grazz't is famous for it.

Not that he's my favorite; I'd have to give that to Dagon or Pale Night. Obyrinth plots are particularly fun; devils might have an edge in organization, but their plots are far more likely to be understandable. With demons, the scheme could be utterly insane, albeit workable.

Gralamin
2007-10-04, 10:02 PM

He increased their power.
Ninja has better information.

I Like devils, due to the scheming. Asmodeus, the Now-god (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20070924), is my favorite of the bunch.

Jarlax
2007-10-05, 01:59 AM
Devils, one of my favorite NPCs i even inserted in a game was a harvester devil. he tried to get the PCs to sell their souls to him, actually got one or two of them. then kept showing up from time to time to get the rest of the party and any new members to sell their souls.

liked him so much he became a BBEG, tried to get those souls he owned earlier than the PCs were planning on.

Xefas
2007-10-05, 02:23 AM
Devils, though I've always like Balors as well. Even Succubi get one-upped by their more bondagely inclined cousins, the Erinyes, in my opinion.

My favourite Archfiend has to be Dispater. Not only is he badass looking, one of the original fallen angel cohorts of Asmodeus who allied with him at the beginning of time, and the greatest turtling RTS player ever to exist, but he also spends 24 hours a day locked in a tower with a retinue of Erinyes. Presumably making with the bong chicka bow wow.

He's attained all that is my goal in life.

Amiria
2007-10-05, 02:50 AM
I prefer demons. Succubi, Vrocks, Mariliths, Balors ... I also like Alu-Fiends and Cambions and tried to make some homebrew custom half-fiend templates for them.

Pazuzu is my favorite demon prince.

"Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu !"

illathid
2007-10-05, 02:59 AM
As a traditionalist, I must say I'm a big fan of Devils, and Mephistopheles is definitely the coolest archfiend, IMO. He developed Hellfire for cryin' out loud, whats not to love about him?

AtomicKitKat
2007-10-05, 04:10 AM
Ao "smites" Amiria. *points to sig*:smallwink:

That being said, Demons all the way. Infinite variety. Devils are all talk, little action. My personal favourite would probably be Pale Night. "I'm so hot, you can't stop babbling about how hot I am, yet you can't remember what I look like!":smallbiggrin:

Sibriexes are my new favourites. Able to plant 3 Demonic Grafts each day, they really help mess up your players' perceptions(Example, planting a few extra arms on a vanilla Yuan-ti, making the players think it's a Marilith, and wondering why their Evil Outsider Bane weapon doesn't work).

AslanCross
2007-10-05, 04:12 AM
I'm partial to devils as well.
5. I like their overall gothic gargoyle look, especially the Malebranche, Cornugon, and Pit Fiend.
4. Possibly the only thing worse than meeting a quick, violent and at the hands of demons is an eternity of slavery in the Nine Hells.
3. Gotta hand it to them. They've been under a demonic siege for untold millennia, and yet the demons haven't gotten past Avernus.
2. Asmodeus bleeds continuously at the bottom of his fortress, and every blood becomes a powerful pit fiend.
1. The backstory behind the Nine Hells is pretty cool. It ends with Asmodeus telling the lawful good gods to "read the fine print."

As archfiends go, it's Asmodeus and Dispater. The freak award goes to Baalzebul, because the Fiendish Codex II art of him is really disturbing.

Devin
2007-10-05, 04:51 AM
Can I pick Glasya? I was reading on Wikipedia, and there's just something about her that made me root for her. I think it's because she's trying to get revenge for her mother.