PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dread-Necromancer Minion-Mancy Build Advice (In need of help a bit stuck)

Nosta
2019-05-18, 05:56 PM
So I got help with doing a conjurer but I am also planning a Dread-Necromancer

This will be base on the other party members

Books allowed

Are

PHB 1 & 2
DMG 1 & 2
MM 1
Storm-Wrack
Heroes of Horror
TOB
Libris Mortis
Book of Exalted Deeds
Ebberon campaign setting

I need advice on spells to take and those to take with advance learning

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-05-18, 07:39 PM
For Advanced Learning, Kelgore's grave mist (level 2) is a fantastic delivery mechanism for metamagics like Fell Frighten or Fell Animate. It does a d6 of cold damage to living targets and fatigues them if they fail a save; the damage ignores spell resistance. A little bit of cold resistance makes your party effectively (or entirely if it's 6+) immune, and your undead minions are immune by default.

Lorddenorstrus
2019-05-18, 08:54 PM
For Advanced Learning, Kelgore's grave mist (level 2) is a fantastic delivery mechanism for metamagics like Fell Frighten or Fell Animate. It does a d6 of cold damage to living targets and fatigues them if they fail a save; the damage ignores spell resistance. A little bit of cold resistance makes your party effectively (or entirely if it's 6+) immune, and your undead minions are immune by default.

There is no saving throw for Gravemist, it's SR only. It's why it's so amazing at delivering negative levels. Auto neg levels and you can do it fairly early on. the SR is the fatigue only to, it's auto damage to any living irregardless of almost anything.

Segev
2019-05-19, 10:54 AM
How evil are you going, and how does the rest of your group feel about minionmancy and slavery (two different things)? Also, if you go heavy on numbers of minions, would they be okay with being handed clusters of them so that you break up “your” turn by giving the other players equally much to do on theirs?

Nosta
2019-05-19, 11:20 AM
How evil are you going, and how does the rest of your group feel about minionmancy and slavery (two different things)? Also, if you go heavy on numbers of minions, would they be okay with being handed clusters of them so that you break up “your” turn by giving the other players equally much to do on theirs?

Well sadly since not all the books are allowed i figure better save it for another game

but that is a good idea

Segev
2019-05-19, 07:11 PM
Well sadly since not all the books are allowed i figure better save it for another game

but that is a good idea

What books aren't being allowed that what I asked about is a problem? I wasn't suggesting any actual build mechanics yet.

If you're going super evil, the Mother Cyst feat from Libris Mortis has the tools for being a real monster. Between using command undead to maintain friendly relations with the skulking cysts you'll be creating, so they will go spread necrotic cysts for you all over towns, and the ability to kill, dominate, scry upon, and permanently enslave victims who bear said cysts, you can transform innocent hostages into bombs to blow up and infect your foes with necrotic cysts of their own, and kill them with them.

Getting slaymates (which are monsters in Libris Mortis) will help immensely in terms of your metamagic. They can be created by arranging the circumstances such that children are killed by the betrayal of their caretakers or parents; eventually one or more will rise as a slaymate you can use command undead on. Unfortunately, you don't have Complete Arcane available, so Precocious Apprentice (command undead and Chain Spell aren't available, but by the time you can cast command undead, having Extend Spell and a slaymate to make the metamagic adjustment 0 will enable you to use it to great effect to gather up a small army of mindless minions.