PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying How much edge is too much edge?f

Marywn
2019-05-19, 01:44 AM
I've always played characters with at least realistic and relative personalities, so I'm trying to step into the edgier side of things. I always worry when roleplaying characters with a general edgy feel to them that they might get too edgy, any thoughts on how i should handle this?

Bohandas
2019-05-19, 03:21 AM
It really depends on your group

ProsecutorGodot
2019-05-19, 03:41 AM
Naming your Vengeance Paladin Slaydra Gon. He's an orc with a burning vengeance towards... not dragons. A chaotic good quester who would kill before asking questions. Except if he likes you, because he's random like that.

Or perhaps you could play a blood red tiefling Hexblade Warlock with an obsidian blade inscribed with blood red glyphs. You have a dark and mysterious past that no one knows about because you inexplicably decided you wanted to tutor under Halaster Blackcloak and left your friends whom you owned a tavern with. You said a grand total of about 15 words in the 5 months we knew you.

My answer to your question: If you've left me with a memory of your character that sounds like the plot of a movie that you'd put on the same list as "The Room" you probably made them too edgy. Avoid silly names that imply you are violent and have nothing to do with your backstory and don't use red and black in your character motif unless you plan to be associated with dark magic or demons.

If you can't stand side by side a righteous paladin without looking like his prisoner, you are too edgy.

Jokes aside, most of the signs are pretty obvious. It will vary by group on what is acceptable levels and what isn't.

Spore
2019-05-19, 03:53 AM
In real life, humans are as varied as it can get. Basically if there is an idea, no matter how outlandish, there is a person that CELEBRATES, LIVES that idea. I am pretty okay with any amount of edge. The problem is not the character, but how they work with others.

Good edge: Take Matt/Yamato from Digimon for example. Basically the stereotypical 'lone wolf' guy from Anime. He likes to do things his way, he sometimes advocates the more direct violent approach but ultimatively he is - while not necessarily a team player - always there for his friends. (Yesyes, his special power is literally friendship)

Bad edge: Take the Batman archetype. While he had a few sidekicks, ultimatively Batman works alone. He solves problems alone, and I feel he even stands out like a sore thumb in Justice League endeavors. the character might be cool, and his struggle with the Joker and other villains might be iconic and well done but his character is simply terrible in groups imho.

So I propose you make your character as gloomy and edgy as you want as long as he does work in a group environment and his concept doesn't get on the nerves of your fellow players.

e: May god have mercy on my soul for slandering Batman in a public nerdy forum!

Laserlight
2019-05-19, 05:26 AM
If you can't function as part of a group, it's too edgy.

Greywander
2019-05-19, 05:35 AM
I think edge is only a problem when the player expects other people to take their character seriously. If you're good at RP, then they'll take you seriously, but if you're not good at RP and you lay on too much edge, then you'll be playing a caricature, not a character.

I mean, I think this applies to just about any character, it's just that edgy characters in particular seem to be expected to be taken seriously. You have to go into it knowing no one else cares about your dark and tortured past, and that you have to work to get them invested in your character and their backstory.

Yeah, I guess the other problem with edgy characters is that they tend to be lone wolf types, which just doesn't work in a group setting, and they can be melodramatic spotlight hogs. Ultimately, it's not about you, it's about "us", the party.

Clistenes
2019-05-19, 06:06 AM
If you throw your edginess at others, they won't take you seriously. Keep it toned down...

If your character is aloof, a loner, distrustful, has an ugly past, goes for violence more often than others... that is okay. If he is "Oh, look at me! I am soooo anguished and so dark and troubled! You normies can't possibly understand me!" ... he will be laughed at...

Basically, when the other characters interact with him, they should notice the aloofness and grumpiness, but not the edginess; not unless they bother trying to dig into his past themselves...

Also: No matter how well you do it, they probably won't care about it... you are doing it for yourself, not for them.

Try to make your character as competent as possible... edginess without competence makes the character even more laughable. Batman needs to be the best at everything and truly scary in order to make other people forget that he is an adult man disguised as a giant flying mouse trying to be intimidating...

Zhorn
2019-05-19, 06:44 AM
it's tricky to pin-point the exact level of edge which is 'too much' edge.
Generally I'd say if the edge is to first thing you think of when remembering that character, then it's too much edge.

Shadow the Hedgehog = Edgy Sonic = too much edge
Vegeta = Proud = not too much edge

Spore
2019-05-19, 07:33 AM

Seriously tho, watch a Let's Play episode of Shadow the Hedgehog (preferrably Gamegrumps because they react to it int he best way possible while also discussing where it all went wrong so badly), just a single episode. Maybe you want to write an edgy character but then it is best to have a "test audience".

Sparky McDibben
2019-05-19, 07:39 AM
Play a drow gloom stalker with the noble background. Your family guards an enormous crevasse in the Underdark, and are consequently known as "the Masters of the Precipice." But to the common people, they are simply called "the Edgelords."

Snowbluff
2019-05-19, 09:01 AM

Seriously tho, watch a Let's Play episode of Shadow the Hedgehog (preferrably Gamegrumps because they react to it int he best way possible while also discussing where it all went wrong so badly), just a single episode. Maybe you want to write an edgy character but then it is best to have a "test audience".

To be fair, Shadow is much less edgy in '06 (which sucked) and SA2.

Vegeta has his own moments of awfulness, like the Majin Buu Saga (which sucked).

In short betraying your team is where I'd say you're too edgy.

Nhorianscum
2019-05-19, 09:02 AM

Highlighting this as an example of a transition from edgelord to "Ima kareoke to distract dog god while my wife feeds dog god a cake"

The idea behind edge done right is to transition out of the edge and create a full character over time.

Zhorn
2019-05-19, 09:25 AM
Seriously tho, watch a Let's Play episode of Shadow the Hedgehog (preferrably Gamegrumps because they react to it int he best way possible while also discussing where it all went wrong so badly), just a single episode.

To be fair, Shadow is much less edgy in '06 (which sucked) and SA2.
It's a bit of a generalization, and I don't mean to pick on Shadow. I just mean at his core the design behind Shadow was "Sonic, but dark, and brooding, and hardcore, and everything is tragic and suffering". Follow the story over multiple games or the comics and you get a bit more character going on, but it always starts with "Shadow is edgy palette swapped Sonic"

Vegeta has his own moments of awfulness, like the Majin Buu Saga (which sucked).
In short betraying your team is where I'd say you're too edgy.
The Buu saga was one of the weaker arcs, and that moment your referring to was dripping with edge. But at least is was followed up in completing Vegeta's transitional arc, with his sacrifice against fighting Buu representing how much he's grown as a character. Looking forward to Lani's TFS dub of that moment if they get to it.

Highlighting this as an example of a transition from edgelord to "Ima kareoke to distract dog god while my wife feeds dog god a cake"
How dare you insult the glorious cat god Beerus!

Play a drow gloom stalker with the noble background. Your family guards an enormous crevasse in the Underdark, and are consequently known as "the Masters of the Precipice." But to the common people, they are simply called "the Edgelords."
Aaaaaaand stolen.

Marywn
2019-05-19, 09:56 PM
I should clarify, THe character is a woman who was a desert scavenger, and by temporal and magical incidents, had gained some connection to the flow of time. All traces of her physical past disappeared in a sandy remenscience and only she remembers it.

She will do anything to survive, that was taught to her by her father, but she developed limits after venturing out for so long. Does that sound decent?

ProsecutorGodot
2019-05-19, 10:08 PM
I should clarify, THe character is a woman who was a desert scavenger, and by temporal and magical incidents, had gained some connection to the flow of time. All traces of her physical past disappeared in a sandy remenscience and only she remembers it.

She will do anything to survive, that was taught to her by her father, but she developed limits after venturing out for so long. Does that sound decent?

The descriptor I would use for this kind of character is more "Mary Sue" as it seems like a lot of happen upon before you've taken up your adventuring career.

The same advice applies though. So long as this character doesn't make the adventure about them and how unique they are, it can work in a party just fine. Despite my misgivings about the idea (I've seen too many special snowflakes who have done legendary heroic deeds prior to their level 1, only to be snuffed out by a Goblin somehow) I think it's cool.

Marywn
2019-05-19, 10:25 PM
The descriptor I would use for this kind of character is more "Mary Sue" as it seems like a lot of happen upon before you've taken up your adventuring career.

The same advice applies though. So long as this character doesn't make the adventure about them and how unique they are, it can work in a party just fine. Despite my misgivings about the idea (I've seen too many special snowflakes who have done legendary heroic deeds prior to their level 1, only to be snuffed out by a Goblin somehow) I think it's cool.
Oh no, this character only has encountered that past erasing event, and that was completely by chance. THey haven't changed the past, present or future. Nor have they done anything heroic to speak of. I always make is so that a character is just starting out when I first make them, giving them room to grow and develop.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-20, 11:09 AM
Oh no, this character only has encountered that past erasing event, and that was completely by chance. THey haven't changed the past, present or future. Nor have they done anything heroic to speak of. I always make is so that a character is just starting out when I first make them, giving them room to grow and develop.

I would say Maximum Edge is fine, as long as that's not all there is to the character. Dark characters in fiction are often balanced by having warming moments, or being so much Edge that they become humorous.

Maybe your Edgelord really loves kittens, but he's also extremely allergic to them (and he doesn't care). Maybe he has a soft spot for children, and will always blush and try to play Edgelord around them, despite finding them precious.

Maybe he takes himself too seriously, and gets into really awkward positions and still attempts to Edge his way out of problems. For example, maybe he believes that he's good at everything, and attempts to seduce someone for a particular mission. His devotedness to the Edge prevents him from realizing that he's as seductive as a sack of potatoes, and so he's as persistent as he is oblivious.

It's the same problem as having a Barbarian that's too stupid to do anything but be stupid and hit things. Or Rogue who's only trait is that he just constantly tries to steal things for no explanation or interest. It doesn't matter how Edge you are, we just don't want one-dimensional characters. We want dramas, humor, and fighting against one's true nature. All that jazz. We want characters who add to the story, not some tool that's only good for one thing. Most Edgelords only focus on the Edge, not what it brings to the story or the party.

As long as you focus on that (what positives your attitude bring to the party), you can be as Edgelord dramatic as you want.

TyGuy
2019-05-20, 01:36 PM

This.

There's limitations/off limit topics that might exist for each table Beyond those, can the PC function in the cooperative table top rpg format?

Marywn
2019-05-20, 01:49 PM
Yes, I always play so the character can actually function with a group, it is based on a team after all

Lupine
2019-05-20, 02:04 PM
The big thing is what others have said. Your character must work with the group, no matter that even if he struggles and pushes against it. Right now, I have a player at my group that feels "betrayed" by another player (this is reacted to through metagame.)

Anyway, I had to create a sidequest on the fly to bring him back in, and he still didn't want to. THAT is too much edge.

But as long as your character still listens to the group, and works with them its probably fine. Just make sure that your character's edge doesn't distract from the flow of the game.

noob
2019-05-20, 02:05 PM
There is no limits provided the other players agree with maximal edginess.
You could roll up in the edgy character generator fifty times and combine all the edginess of all the characters with a compounded incoherent backstory you specify to be "because he was so depressed he interpreted everything wrong and started having hallucinations" as long as you follow the team and stab opponents it works.
The main restriction is how much edge is allowed at your table and how much starts making other players and the gm unhappy.

Sigreid
2019-05-20, 02:05 PM
Too much edge is when it's no longer amusing for the table.

FilthyLucre
2019-05-20, 02:07 PM
Any "edge" is too much. Because "edgy" characters are not at all edgy.

noob
2019-05-20, 02:11 PM
Any "edge" is too much. Because "edgy" characters are not at all edgy.

So someone who lost his family and then is depressed and then decides to go fight the people responsible for the death of his family is not edgy?

Willie the Duck
2019-05-20, 02:20 PM

This is really the only limit. I am a little outspoken on this issue, but I feel that the terms edgelord and snowflake are the kind of things you are supposed to be too adult to use after some point. I mean, we're playing a game about elven and dragonborn paladins and wizards (in a game system that has specifically moved towards character customization) -- what exactly is the transgression happening? I wonder if it is really a fear of someone else being a limelight hog, which is a real, but separate, concern.

Mind you, it has to match the rest of the group and game's feel, or else you have a group that includes Bob #3, Tom Smith, Thok the orc, and Blackthorne Wistrand Wrathholme III all in one party. :smalltongue:

Sigreid
2019-05-20, 02:25 PM
This is really the only limit. I am a little outspoken on this issue, but I feel that the terms edgelord and snowflake are the kind of things you are supposed to be too adult to use after some point. I mean, we're playing a game about elven and dragonborn paladins and wizards (in a game system that has specifically moved towards character customization) -- what exactly is the transgression happening? I wonder if it is really a fear of someone else being a limelight hog, which is a real, but separate, concern.

Mind you, it has to match the rest of the group and game's feel, or else you have a group that includes Bob #3, Tom Smith, Thok the orc, and Blackthorne Wistrand Wrathholme III all in one party. :smalltongue:

Eh, when I played Star Wars Galaxies there was a place to type in your character's biography for others to read. It got really ridiculously funny all the stories about being orphaned by the Empire or Rebel Alliance. It was just over done. Edge lord in D&D may fill that same headspace for some people.

Willie the Duck
2019-05-20, 02:52 PM
Eh, when I played Star Wars Galaxies there was a place to type in your character's biography for others to read. It got really ridiculously funny all the stories about being orphaned by the Empire or Rebel Alliance. It was just over done. Edge lord in D&D may fill that same headspace for some people.

Overdone is a qualitative term, and just one of many ways that a character write-up can be unimpressive. I'm certainly not going to say someone's drama-filled backstory is immune to criticism of not being good. Most people's write-ups are going to be bad, Sturgeon's Law and such. What I dispute is that the broad concept of wanting to make an interesting character backstory is somehow in and of itself doing something wrong. This is a game (often colloquially referred to as an 'elfgame') about playing Conan, Legolas, Merlin, etc. analogs. Likewise, it has been slowly moving more and more towards character customization. It seems like complaining about people doing exactly what the game advertises itself as, and incentivizes people to do.

qube
2019-05-20, 03:10 PM
Slight nuance (as I've been in RPG (though non-D&D to be fair) games where it's the intent you play a disfunctional as a group with conflicting goals):

If you, as player, can't function as part of a group (hogging too much spotlight, annoying other players or the DM, ... ), it's too edgy

Waterdeep Merch
2019-05-20, 03:29 PM
If you make a character that is reasonably likable by the players at the table and doesn't detract from their gameplay (hogging the spotlight/DM, stealing/betraying/murdering the party, stealing/betraying/murdering important NPC's they like/need), then you have made a good character. They could be Darkblood Edgemoon the Demon, Stabber of Hearts, dead to all feelings. It doesn't matter.

The problems arise when you start making edgy player decisions, like those listed above. Not how edgy the character is.

Marywn
2019-05-20, 10:46 PM

Fair, but is this group set up really actually accurate to most campaigns?

Kane0
2019-05-20, 10:49 PM
Two parts horror to one part comedy.

2D8HP
2019-05-20, 11:17 PM

With hundreds of thousands (more?) playing D&D again "most" is far too broad a category to guess, so the real answer to "Too much edge?" is individual table dependent, but that answer just isn't fun, where's the sport in that?

I suggest relying on these old posts the wisdom of the ancients to make a QUALITY player-character named:

Mournblade Stormwind
(or Darkfire Steelheart, or Dagger Coldedge, Grim McAngsty, Steeldark Darksteel, or whatever)

Name:

Edgy name generator! Roll 3d20!

d20
First name
Last name (1st half)
Last name (2nd half)

Agony
Beast
Arrow

Dagger
Black
Blade

Ghost
Blood
Blood

Ghoul
Cold
Bone

Gloom
Dark
Crow

Misery
Despair
Dark

Mist
Doom
Demon

Moon
Ever
Death

Pain
Fright
Eye

Raven
Fury
Flame

[Refuses to state first name]
Grim
Heart

Shadow
Hate
Ice

Shudder
Never
Mark

Spider
Pain
Martyr

Talon
Poison
Scar

Twilight
Razor
Shackle

Venom
Steel
Skin

Wander
Storm
Skull

Whisper
True
Snow

Wolf
Vengeance
Sword

A few try-outs:

Talon Despairmartyr
Dagger Razorflame
Twilight Poisonice
Venom Darkcrow
Misery Whisperdeath

Working as intended, it seems.

Class, Race, and Tragic Events:

Well, here is an edgy character generator I made for 5th edition D&D. Use with the name generator. Enjoy!

1d6
Race

Human

Half-orc

Drow

Half-drow

Tiefling

Ghostwise Halfling

1d10
Class

Fiend Warlock

Shadow Sorcerer

Assassin Rogue

Undying Warlock

Death Cleric

War Cleric

Berserker Barbarian

Hunter Ranger

Vengance Paladin

Shadow Monk

1d8
Backstory p1
1d8
Backstory p2

I was abused by
Family member(s).

I hate
Dragon(s).

My family was killed by
Orc(s).

I am a transformed
Demon(s).

I am in love with a
Devil(s).

I killed a
Drow

I have the soul of a
Ghost(s).

I work for
Assassin(s).

Alignment:

I'll add some stuff to the class table.

Alignments that are edgy? I would say CG, CN, TN, LN, LE, NE. Gives us a nice 6 alignments.

1d6
Alignment

Chaotic good, Probably racist.

Chaotic neutral, 'classic' edgy character.

True neutral. Pragmatic to the core.

Lawful neutral. Probably serves an evil higher power.

Lawful evil. Lives by her own code.

Neutral evil. Like chaotic good, but probably racist towards more people.

Edit: The characters that are being ended up with are awesome. My tables do have a lot of bugs (killing an orc isn't much), but with the working for your family, what if your family is evil?

Fashion accessories:
(Sadly requires some actual creativity, but fortunately not much)

Grimblade Mourncloud rued birth into this world of pain and especially wearing spiked bracelets and skull epaulets to the mall that matched those adorning Darkfire Stormwind who's tragic deal and awesomicity had no match. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
Verily if Darkfire Stormwind had any tears left to shed, surely they would turn to steam upon release due to the bitter fires that rage inside one such as Darkfire Stormwind! Just a gaze from Darkfire Stormwind steel colored eyes (which were set off well by the spiked bracelets, and skull epaulets) was enough to turn one such as Grimblade Mourncloud into a mere tepid stain at the mall!
Darkfire Stormwind tragic deal and awesomicity were such that Darkfire Stormwind only spoke of Darkfire Stormwind in the third person. Darkfire Stormwind just liked to say Darkfire Stormwind!

This personality is good for any campaign!

Well, hold on, I think we're missing one of the most important parts of the proper edgelord here.

He's got to be misunderstood! His misanthropic nature is simply the outward manifestation of a deep-seated insecurity, resulting from the internalization of the notion that he is apart from others and always will be, that he somehow stands alone, and that no one will ever truly understand the incredible, titanic struggle within himself, nor will he ever truly be able to relate this to another person, no matter how close they become.

Darkedge Shadowblade's behavior and affectations are, in large part, due to this deep-seated need for understanding and acceptance. And yet, as a half-tiefling, half-aasimar assassin, given incredible gifts in the art of death that, in truth, are more of a burden than a boon, who can truly claim to understand or know him? Of course, he does what he must do to survive, and so he will tell himself, as his black-edged knife cuts the throat of one more unsuspecting nobleman, fatted on the wealth of the nation that he's enslaved with his unjust regime; but there will always be that shadow of self-doubt.* The kind that can usually only be expressed during brooding internal monologues while Darkedge Shadowblade crouches, hunched and ready to leap at a moment's notice, on the silent gargoyles of the largest church in the city -- itself an impossibly large symbol of greed and lust for power given form in unfeeling stone -- as the rain pours down his hooded and implacable face.

You gotta' have the rain. That makes the whole scene.

:eek:

Heed the wisdom!

Wander Vengeancearrow, a Tiefling Assassin Rogue is a transformed family member. Ehrm....okay?

Don't forget the gloomy motif tables:

Color:

Dark Red
Black
White
Dark gray
Deep Purple
Roll twice and combine

Motif/design:

Wolf
Bear
Eagle
Dragon
Demon
Leaves
Stripes
Random gashes
Reroll, if 1-5 make it crying
Reroll, if 1-5 make snarling
Reroll, if wearing armor add spikes, if wearing a cloak or robe add frayed ribbony tassels to ends (like a Mistcloak)
Roll twice and combine

EDIT: leaf includes any plant motif, and the reason design 11 only includes armor and cloaks is because if you are wearing anything else you aren't edgy enough:smallbiggrin:

Yea, but try it with the dead family member, eyes, and motif/color, then you get:

Pain Painskin the True Neutral Human Outlander Hunter Ranger who works for his family, had an identical twin brother who died, has deep violet eyes, and wears deep purple armor/a deep purple cloak with the helmet/hood (which he always wears up) fashioned like the head of a snarling bear. Plus, all of this introduction is happening while he is standing on a precarious rocky ledge during a thunderstorm, so you can only see him when lightning flashes. When you do see him, it is difficult to tell if the water on his face is just rain, or the brave tears of a tragic hero, and if the latter, is he truly a hero, or just a monster, lying to himself about his evil ways...

See, edgy

Don't forget "mismatched: roll once per eye"!

Why isn't there an option for Half-Aasimar Half-Tiefling? One wing black as the night that I realized my uniqueness was suffering, and the other as white as the innocence that was stolen from me by this uncaring world? Forever tormented by my own superior specialness -- about which I'm totally humble because to me it's just another source of pain -- and outcast from three worlds, or maybe more if the cosmology can be expanded to include more background reasons to support why I'm unique and special.

That so reminds me of that one PBP I once ran where a player submitted a half-fey half-fiend vampire half-something else I forgot. I mean, I said multiple templates was okay, but i had assumed that that would be fluffed as "I'm a dark spirit of nature" or something like that, not "I had a parent who was a demon and a parent who was a fairy and then I was bitten by a vampire."

If you roll two 8s, you have horizontal slit pupils like a goat.

If you roll three 8s, you have one horizontal pupil and one vertical pupil, and also people refuse to make eye contact with you because it makes them sorta dizzy.

If you roll four 8s, you're from a bizarre cave-dwelling subspecies that doesn't have functioning eyes, but you can see through the pain you feel when the light hits your highly attractive hideous mutant face. No one will ever understand what it means to see the world as shades of pain.

If you roll five 8s, your must stay blindfolded at all times because your eyes are Dark Portals Into The Hideous Terror Dimension, and they will spew forth blood demons to feast upon the world if they are ever freed from their angelic prison (did I mention the blindfold is made from angel-skin leather?). Death, too, will release the evils locked within you, but only you know this, so in order to protect the world you must constantly kill the righteous men and women who hunt you for being the abomination you know you are. Also you cry blood.

If you roll six 8s, instead of eyes you just have knives jutting out of your face. At your option, the hilt or the blade may be protruding.

If you roll seven 8s, you are a construct made out of an animate Robe of Eyes and the soul of a forsaken child, and to conceal your hideous eye-covered (but totally ripped and vaguely sexy) form you have to wrap your entire body in bandages like a mummy. This hurts a ton because you have no eyelids. Also, because you're an artificial human, you're only ever capable of the shadow of real emotion, and this makes you extremely angsty but in like a totally unemotional way. To control the homicidal rages your stolen soul drives you to, you must hunt down and kill serial killers who only kill other serial killers and eat their eyes, which makes you cry viscuous black slime that seeps out from your bandages.

If you roll eight or more 8s, all of the above.

Referring back to 2D8's other thread on how to tell if evil:* these angsty characters may or many not be. But the players who made them sure are. :smalltongue:

https://orig00.deviantart.net/223e/f/2008/045/e/c/knife_eye_attack_by_eternityhero.jpg

Also if you roll eight 8s, you get mind-control spider eyes and the undying love of the Game Master.

Man, my edgy character, Levi, just has a regular name.* Still, with his tragic past (Orphan adopted by evil wizard to go and do evil deed in his name!), class (Hexblade warlock), and character design (ordinary human but with dark clothes, white hair, and a curved black sword), I think he qualifies for edgelord.

(I miss when those threads were ongoing)

Zhorn
2019-05-21, 07:17 AM
...I suggest relying on these old posts the wisdom of the ancients to make a QUALITY player-character named:

*rolls 3d20*: 8, 3, 3

dang it! Who invited Moon Blood-Blood!

Willie the Duck
2019-05-21, 07:24 AM

???
No... it was an extreme example to highlight the issue.
I'm sorry, I'm not understanding your point.

darknite
2019-05-21, 07:26 AM
Playing with an edge is cool until it starts to cramp the other players' style too often. If your group constantly has to deal with your edgy issues game in and game out, then it's too darn much. Follow Wheaton's Law.

KorvinStarmast
2019-05-21, 07:29 AM
Play a drow gloom stalker with the noble background. Your family guards an enormous crevasse in the Underdark, and are consequently known as "the Masters of the Precipice." But to the common people, they are simply called "the Edgelords." *applause*

Any "edge" is too much. Because "edgy" characters are not at all edgy. Indeed. If you have to ask how much the gas costs for the car, you can't afford it. :smallcool:

Mind you, it has to match the rest of the group and game's feel, or else you have a group that includes Bob #3, Tom Smith, Thok the orc, and Blackthorne Wistrand Wrathholme III all in one party. :smalltongue: You forgot the Pirate, Blowmi Downz.

If you, as player, can't function as part of a group (hogging too much spotlight, annoying other players or the DM, ... ), it's too edgy Or, this is a person with abominable social skills aka a toxic player.

Grim McAngsty ... of Clan McAngsty.

The name of my next annoying NPC. That you, old friend. :)

Zuras
2019-05-21, 11:22 AM
It can be hard to play an edgy character without becoming a parody of an edgy character.

If you don’t mind taking the risk, as has been said, the limit is don’t let your “edge” spoil the party’s fun by randomly killing or torturing people, and that sort of thing.

I have a player with an edgy warlock at one of my tables, but nobody takes it too seriously. Sometimes the other players sing the Batman song from the LEGO movie about him.

“DARKNESS! No parents! Continued DARKNESS! The opposite of light!”

It’s fun, but not actually edgy...

Marywn
2019-05-21, 01:26 PM
I was trying to joke, but that phrasing wasn't really good.. though these tips are really helpful.

GlenSmash!
2019-05-21, 02:54 PM
At my table you can show up with a half Aasimar, half Tiefling, orphan, child of divine/infernal prophecy who is a self professed loner and hates their destiny as long as you understand it's a team game and everyone gets equal spotlight. Everyone would make fun of you but we'd play with you.

Hell I read all the Elric of Melnibone stories, I can work with edge.

I can't work with somebody who doesn't understand that D&D is collaborative though.

Witty Username
2019-05-25, 08:33 PM
1. No half-elf edge on the race table?
2. Dagger Razorflame is a great name.

When your voice goes out trying to act out the character, I would say that is too much.

djreynolds
2019-05-26, 05:25 AM

Well, think of Rey from Star Wars, she's not edgy.

IMO to truly play a character.... they must grow or de-evolve. Your choice

After the party fighter takes a couple whacks in the face for you.... you may warm up to them.

You can't forever remain edgy. Something must change or your party members are just underlings to you.

Allow something in game, to perhaps change you. It could be something you question, or a young child of any race in a similar dilemma you had in the past.

Not to steal something from Star Wars, but Rey is taken aback when she sees the surface of a green planet. This could open you up or harden you.

Not to bring up a "Mary Sue", but Drizzt has a moment in a short story where a kindly goblin is killed by a community and it angers him.

An act of bravery or an act of injustice or an act of sacrifice... allow it to affect your PC

noob
2019-05-26, 01:31 PM
Well, think of Rey from Star Wars, she's not edgy.

IMO to truly play a character.... they must grow or de-evolve. Your choice

After the party fighter takes a couple whacks in the face for you.... you may warm up to them.

You can't forever remain edgy. Something must change or your party members are just underlings to you.

Allow something in game, to perhaps change you. It could be something you question, or a young child of any race in a similar dilemma you had in the past.

Not to steal something from Star Wars, but Rey is taken aback when she sees the surface of a green planet. This could open you up or harden you.

Not to bring up a "Mary Sue", but Drizzt has a moment in a short story where a kindly goblin is killed by a community and it angers him.

An act of bravery or an act of injustice or an act of sacrifice... allow it to affect your PC
Rey is maximally marie sue: each time rey is at a place rey solves the problem in front of here no matter what happens(which can involve rey throwing force miracles as fast as a level 21 cleric with multisquickenedpell 10 times).
the only flaw rey have is to not be everywhere at once and it is hardly a flaw.
(maries sues are not a bad thing in itself however)

dragoeniex
2019-05-26, 05:20 PM
The important thing, to me, is just coming in making sure you've got reasons for your character to care about and be interested in the others. Find reasons to not be completely absorbed in your own story. I love me some edge, but it has to be framed within other character traits and dynamics.

A lot of "edgy" premises really aren't if you ground them a bit. Though I'd also make sure to touch base with the DM to verify the fantastical elements fit with the world.

In response to the name generator: got a good laugh out of 11 - [refuses to state name]. That said, Talon Truemark just sounds like an amiable sniper fellow, and Twilight Neverdark sounds like a cheerful hippie sort who renamed herself to reflect her own optimism.

Tvtyrant
2019-05-26, 05:43 PM
It depends on the group. I'm a fan of Batman, 40K and sundry other edgy settings so as long as the character is campy I would be cool with it. Silly randumb characters who do stuff just for chaos I am not okay with.

Other people cringe at edgy characters and it takes them out of the game, so talking to your group is as always the best advice.

Corran
2019-05-26, 06:27 PM
If your character's background is more than 3 lines long, then that's too much edge.

I think it all comes down to how well the interactions with the other characters go. If you cannot find an entertaining (and I don't mean entertaining just to you) way for these interactions to play out, but instead you are boring or annoying the other players, then you'll know that your character is too edgy.

Lord Raziere
2019-05-26, 08:56 PM
So someone who lost his family and then is depressed and then decides to go fight the people responsible for the death of his family is not edgy?

and that is by the book, humdrum every day edge!

as an anime and fantasy fan, I am a connoisseur of functional edginess. As long as they can smile even slightly and help out their friends, they can be the edgiest most broken person in existence clinging only slightly to sanity every day of their lives and still be a viable PC. even if they think that smile is just some fake broken mask they put on to hide their inner agony and help out not out of any hope of success, but out of the belief that they should savor every happy moment they still can before everything is doomed and dies forever, they can still work as long they do those things.

@ Corran: wow, every character I've ever palyed is too edgy then. :smalltongue:

Kane0
2019-05-26, 09:13 PM

Oh, that's gold. So stolen.

The Jack
2019-05-26, 09:44 PM
Can you make a grounded character that will act realistically? If not, can you make everyone laugh?

If neither of these things works, don't do it.

Also, The Room is an excellent movie on the grounds that everyone who watches it enjoys it. It's not 'ironically good', it's just good, because you're enjoying yourself watching it. You don't need to shy away from the truth and you can't make yourself seem any greater by belittling such a master-work: If you can be The Room, you are greatness.

Tiadoppler
2019-05-26, 10:06 PM
The only way I define "too much edge" is "when it starts negatively affecting your real life relationships with the other people at the table."

If your table's doing gritty realism, play a realistic character. Past trauma should be paired with reasonable reactions to that event. Go ahead and get into the psychology of your character, but don't be melodramatic.

If your table's doing over-the-top grimdark comedy, go all out. Everybody can have fun showing up with their most amusingly dark character and trying to out-'serious' each other.

But if your table's running a casual, funny, heroic campaign with some new players, and everybody showed up with different flavors of Good and Idealistic, don't show up with the Evil stoic loner who doesn't have a reason to go on the adventure, doesn't try get along with the party and likes to attack innocents when unsupervised.

It's all about knowing the people you're playing with and their expectations for the campaign. The social aspect of D&D is the important part. If you don't pay attention to that stuff, don't be surprised when you're asked to leave the group, and your Dark and Powerful Self-Insert Character gets unceremoniously written out of the campaign.

Lord Raziere
2019-05-26, 10:13 PM
Also, The Room is an excellent movie on the grounds that everyone who watches it enjoys it. It's not 'ironically good', it's just good, because you're enjoying yourself watching it. You don't need to shy away from the truth and you can't make yourself seem any greater by belittling such a master-work: If you can be The Room, you are greatness.

In that case, your post is masterpiece in farce, for I laugh every time I read it at the ridiculous sentiment it espouses!

2D8HP
2019-05-26, 10:55 PM
....You forgot the Pirate, Blowmi Downz..

Wasn't the original Elvish spelling Bl'wmi D'wnz?

... of Clan McAngsty

There can be only one!

The name of my next annoying NPC. That you, old friend. :)

You're very welcome, and that pirate belongs in Saltmarsh for sure!

Angelalex242
2019-05-27, 12:57 PM
Right amount of edge: Other Players are laughing at the character
Too much edge: Other Players are annoyed by the character.

One of these things increases fun for other players, one does not.