PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best Weight Lifter in D&D 3.5

Dyslexic
2019-05-19, 09:21 AM
I want build a PC with the maximum Carrying Capacity. I need help, I want lift the Earth!

- no cheat
- no infinite loop
- lvl 20, WBL standard

With Str 400 a medium character without feat, magic, object or other tricks can lift the planet (if I'm not wrong). Ok, it's a lot, but maybe we can reduce it with some feature.

So far, I have build an Archivist with draconic polymorpf in a titan, consumptive field (with the bonus str limited like the caster level bonus), giant size, and a belt of the wide earth (and other some little tricks). But is not enought.

Other ideas? Thank you very much.

Saintheart
2019-05-19, 09:26 AM
I read the title of this thread as 'Best Wight Lifter in D&D 3.5', so though I have nothing to add to this thread, I would also like stats on this as well.

Zaq
2019-05-19, 09:35 AM
It might be a drop in the bucket, but I seem to recall a feat in Planar Handbook (I think it had “Earth” in the name? AFB) that increases your carrying capacity.

Being quadrupedal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#biggerandSmallerCreatures) helps, too:

Quadrupeds can carry heavier loads than characters can. Instead of the multipliers given above, multiply the value corresponding to the creature’s Strength score from Table: Carrying Capacity by the appropriate modifier, as follows: Fine ×¼, Diminutive ×½, Tiny ×¾, Small ×1, Medium ×1½, Large ×3, Huge ×6, Gargantuan ×12, Colossal ×24.

I also feel like there’s a graft that helps, but I may be totally misremembering that one.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-05-19, 09:51 AM
Powerful build to count as a size larger (maybe), combined with the tauric template to add a Large lower body (and with powerful build, counts as Huge), and depending on the second body added, this might make you count as a quadruped. You might need Human Heritage or something to make this combo work, since creatures with powerful build tend to be giants.

The Stuff of Legends feat (from Planescape: Skills & Feats -- official 3.5 content despite being 2nd/3rd party) adds your Con mod to your Str for carrying capacity.

The bearer's yoke (from the Dark Sun 3.5 Campaign Setting, also official in the same vein as above) adds +10 to your effective Str score for carrying capacity.

Muleback cords (PF) adds +8 to your effective Str score.

Improved Encumbrance (DrMag #372) adds +4 to your effective Str score.

The Pack Mule feat (PF) adds +4 to your effective Str score.

The hauling back graft (Fiend Folio) makes you count as a quadruped for carrying capacity, though you can't use your arms for much else.

Burdenless armor (PF) increases your carrying capacity by 1.5x.

The belt of the wide earth (MIC) doubles your carrying capacity. (And since weights are real-world values, they stack properly with things like burdenless armor.)

The Natural Heavyweight feat (Planar Handbook) also doubles carrying capacity (and stacks with other multipliers).

The Well-Equipped feat (d20 Modern, Future Player's Companion, Tomorrow's Foundation) doubles your carrying capacity and reduces speed penalties from being overencumbered.

The ant haul spell (PF) triples your carrying capacity.

The skate power multiplies your ability to push/drag an object by 10x. Casting grease or manifesting psionic grease/ectoplasmic sheen (or using plain oil) might increase this amount significantly. Maybe.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-05-19, 09:54 AM
Just look up any of the old Hulking Hurler threads, they're all based around optimized carrying capacity.

Biggus
2019-05-19, 10:11 AM
With Str 400 a medium character without feat, magic, object or other tricks can lift the planet (if I'm not wrong).

Just checked your maths, you look about right to me, I make it Str 384 to lift it or 389 to carry it.

Dyslexic
2019-05-19, 10:13 AM
Just look up any of the old Hulking Hurler threads, they're all based around optimized carrying capacity.

Maybe can you link me some of this threads?
I haven't find no one about carryin capacity.

Thank you all for others suggestions.

Piggy Knowles
2019-05-19, 10:29 AM
War hulk is probably a good choice as well, for the +20 Strength it provides. Progress it with legacy champion and uncanny trickster if you don't want to stick with 0 BAB for 10 levels.

JNAProductions
2019-05-19, 10:33 AM
War hulk is probably a good choice as well, for the +20 Strength it provides. Progress it with legacy champion and uncanny trickster if you don't want to stick with 0 BAB for 10 levels.

You don't need BAB for carrying capacity!

Powerful build to count as a size larger (maybe), combined with the tauric template to add a Large lower body (and with powerful build, counts as Huge), and depending on the second body added, this might make you count as a quadruped. You might need Human Heritage or something to make this combo work, since creatures with powerful build tend to be giants.

The Stuff of Legends feat (from Planescape: Skills & Feats -- official 3.5 content despite being 2nd/3rd party) adds your Con mod to your Str for carrying capacity.

The bearer's yoke (from the Dark Sun 3.5 Campaign Setting, also official in the same vein as above) adds +10 to your effective Str score for carrying capacity.

Muleback cords (PF) adds +8 to your effective Str score.

Improved Encumbrance (DrMag #372) adds +4 to your effective Str score.

The Pack Mule feat (PF) adds +4 to your effective Str score.

The hauling back graft (Fiend Folio) makes you count as a quadruped for carrying capacity, though you can't use your arms for much else.

Burdenless armor (PF) increases your carrying capacity by 1.5x.

The belt of the wide earth (MIC) doubles your carrying capacity. (And since weights are real-world values, they stack properly with things like burdenless armor.)

The Natural Heavyweight feat (Planar Handbook) also doubles carrying capacity (and stacks with other multipliers).

The Well-Equipped feat (d20 Modern, Future Player's Companion, Tomorrow's Foundation) doubles your carrying capacity and reduces speed penalties from being overencumbered.

The ant haul feat (PF) triples your carrying capacity.

The skate power multiplies your ability to push/drag an object by 10x. Casting grease or manifesting psionic grease/ectoplasmic sheen (or using plain oil) might increase this amount significantly. Maybe.

All told, that is...

+Con Mod to Strength for Carrying Capacity
+26 effective Strength score for Carrying Capacity
Count as a Quadruped
X36 Carrying Capacity
X10 to maximum weight if pushing/dragging

On a standard 10 Strength Commoner, all this results in...

198,720 lbs as a maximum heavy load.

Times 50 for Skate and dragging, for 9,936,000 lbs dragged.

Biggus
2019-05-19, 10:34 AM
You might find this useful:

http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=176.0

JNAProductions
2019-05-19, 10:42 AM
Earth is 1.317*1025 pounds, according to Google.

Divide by 36, and you get 3.658*1023.
You need 340+29, or 369 effective Strength to carry the Earth with all the buffs outlined by Max. This is BEFORE bonuses for size or Quadrupedal.
If we count as a Huge Quadruped (such as by being an Enlarged Goliath, or a Tauric Goliath) this drops to needing a Carrying Capacity of 6.097*1022, requiring an effective Strength of 330+28, or 358.
With +26 effective Strength, that drops to 332.

Can we hit 332 Strength, under the restrictions posited? And how early can we do it?

Kaleph
2019-05-19, 10:42 AM

I guess that the trick for a war hulk is a skillful weapon. Anyhow, as the OP just said, the BAB isn't a priority.

BTW, PAO in some huge (or bigger) giant counts? You would start with 40-50 str, which isn't bad. Plus, the increased size has a beneficial effect on your carrying capacity.

Dyslexic
2019-05-19, 11:29 AM
You might find this useful:

http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=176.0

love <3

Earth is 1.317*1025 pounds, according to Google.

Divide by 36, and you get 3.658*1023.
You need 340+29, or 369 effective Strength to carry the Earth with all the buffs outlined by Max. This is BEFORE bonuses for size or Quadrupedal.
If we count as a Huge Quadruped (such as by being an Enlarged Goliath, or a Tauric Goliath) this drops to needing a Carrying Capacity of 6.097*1022, requiring an effective Strength of 330+28, or 358.
With +26 effective Strength, that drops to 332.

Can we hit 332 Strength, under the restrictions posited? And how early can we do it?

Why only huge? I want use Giant Size to get the colossal size ;)

A giant is ok, but the ECL must be 20 or lower.

Kaleph
2019-05-19, 11:32 AM
love <3

Why only huge? I want use Giant Size to get the colossal size ;)

A giant is ok, but the ECL must be 20 or lower.

You would pay a wizard to cast, say, polymorph and the polymorph any object. The effect is permanent, but brings no LA.

Mike Miller
2019-05-19, 01:06 PM
I am surprised no one said Cancer Mage yet. Contract Festering Anger and let time pass...

Kaleph
2019-05-19, 01:10 PM
I am surprised no one said Cancer Mage yet. Contract Festering Anger and let time pass...

I guess the OP discouraged it. Or at least everyone thought that, since this trick is common knowledge, if someone asks for a carrying capacity build, it means that cancer mage isn't on the table.

ShurikVch
2019-05-19, 02:06 PM
The "Best Weight Lifter in D&D 3.5" is an Incorporeal creature with the Ghostly Grasp feat (Libris Mortis): whatever item they grasps turn incorporeal too; incorporeal objects are have no weight - thus, manual transportation of planets (or even neutron stars :smallcool:) is completely possible...

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-05-19, 02:38 PM
The "Best Weight Lifter in D&D 3.5" is an Incorporeal creature with the Ghostly Grasp feat (Libris Mortis): whatever item they grasps turn incorporeal too; incorporeal objects are have no weight - thus, manual transportation of planets (or even neutron stars :smallcool:) is completely possible...Ghostly Grasp allows you to handle corporeal objects as though you weren't incorporeal. Unfortunately, incorporeal creatures have Str: 0, so handling objects as though you were corporeal means you still can't move them, even motes of dust.

ShurikVch
2019-05-19, 02:43 PM
Ghostly Grasp allows you to handle corporeal objects as though you weren't incorporeal. Unfortunately, incorporeal creatures have Str: 0, so handling objects as though you were corporeal means you still can't move them, even motes of dust.But incorporeal objects are all have no weight
Can you lift corporeal item which weighs 0 lbs.?
Yes, you can.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-05-19, 02:46 PM
But incorporeal objects are all have no weight
Can you lift corporeal item which weighs 0 lbs.?
Yes, you can.Except it doesn't turn things you touch incorporeal. It simply allows you to handle them as though you were corporeal. That Str score of 0 kinda screws you over, there, making the feat completely useless unless you somehow have a Str score above 0 while incorporeal. [edit] Or can sub out something else for a Str score. Is there any way to get tactile telekinesis and use your Cha score, or something?

ShurikVch
2019-05-19, 02:59 PM
Except it doesn't turn things you touch incorporeal.But it does:
Equipment worn or carried by an incorporeal creature is also incorporeal as long as that equipment remains in the creature's possession. An object the creature relinquishes loses its incorporeal quality, and the creature loses the ability to manipulate that object. Magic items possessed by an incorporeal creature work normally with respect to their effects on the creature or on another target. Similarly, spells cast by an incorporeal creature affect corporeal creatures normally.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-05-19, 03:05 PM
But it does:Ehhhh. If you react with corporeal stuff as if you too are corporeal, that wouldn't apply.

ShurikVch
2019-05-19, 04:38 PM
Ehhhh. If you react with corporeal stuff as if you too are corporeal, that wouldn't apply.Did you read the "Special" for the feat?
Special: Without this feat, an incorporeal creature can only wear or wield items that have the ghost touch special ability.Thus, if creature able to wield ghost touch items, it also would be able to wield any item via Ghostly Grasp feat

Sian
2019-05-19, 04:52 PM
Maybe can you link me some of this threads?
I haven't find no one about carryin capacity.

Thank you all for others suggestions.

The trick is that TO!Hulking Hurler is based around their thrown items dealing damage dependent on their weight, and that you can throw whichever item you can carry ... so the higher carrying capacity you have, the higher weight your oversized shot-put can be, the more damage it deal

Bronk
2019-05-19, 05:59 PM
Whenever I see ideas like throwing a planet around, I always wonder two things.

First, what are they picking it up from?

Then, how must that appear to an onlooker?

Best case scenario, this is just some crazy guy standing on his head, wiggling his feat around for a bit, then using his arms to fling himself up in to the air for a bit.

Worst case scenario, same, but everyone lurches around until the planet reaches the end of its thrown weapon range? Oh wait, unless it's at night, and they have the distant shot feat... then less than one round later the entire planet hits the edge of the crystal sphere, while the thrower suffocates in wildspace.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-05-19, 06:06 PM
Did you read the "Special" for the feat?Thus, if creature able to wield ghost touch items, it also would be able to wield any item via Ghostly Grasp featHow? It has no STR score, and GG doesn't say it turns equipment incorporeal.

ShurikVch
2019-05-19, 07:15 PM
How? It has no STR score, and GG doesn't say it turns equipment incorporeal.It doesn't need to say it - it must say it doesn't, or we go to the "default option"

Look at it this way: all Incorporeal creatures are have "Str -"; Ghostly Grasp allows you to handle corporeal objects; thus - either objects are turn Incorporeal too (as they should); or it, somehow, works regardless - because RAW says it does, and what's the point of the feat otherwise? (It's even CF for Ephemeral Exemplar PrC)

Mike Miller
2019-05-19, 10:51 PM
This incorporeal argument deserves its own thread.

Telonius
2019-05-20, 09:10 AM

First, what are they picking it up from? He's standing on one of the elephants that holds it up.

Then, how must that appear to an onlooker? Probably very blurry, as they're falling off the edge when it happens.

Best case scenario, this is just some crazy guy standing on his head, wiggling his feat around for a bit, then using his arms to fling himself up in to the air for a bit.

Worst case scenario, same, but everyone lurches around until the planet reaches the end of its thrown weapon range? Oh wait, unless it's at night, and they have the distant shot feat... then less than one round later the entire planet hits the edge of the crystal sphere, while the thrower suffocates in wildspace. It's possible the turtle will shift weight to compensate.

:smallbiggrin:

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-05-20, 09:13 AM

First, what are they picking it up from?

Then, how must that appear to an onlooker?He's not doing push-ups; he's lifting the planet in preparation to throw.

As shown here (12:47 (https://youtu.be/-eDSt8OHkx0?t=767)):

https://youtu.be/-eDSt8OHkx0?t=767

ShurikVch
2019-05-20, 05:08 PM

First, what are they picking it up from?I was tempted to say those who're talking about lifting a planet are failing physics forever (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArtisticLicensePhysics?from=Main.YouFailPhysicsFor ever)

But, at the second thought - if lifter is heavier than the planet then they picking it up from themselves; and creatures which aren't constrained by conventional gravity - such as Superman or creatures with Incorporeal subtype - would picking it up from the planet's orbit

Then, how must that appear to an onlooker?

Best case scenario, this is just some crazy guy standing on his head, wiggling his feat around for a bit, then using his arms to fling himself up in to the air for a bit.And the worst case scenario actually described in the myth: Svyatogor (https://slavicchronicles.com/mythology/svyatogor/) attempted to lift the Mother Earth, but the Newton's third law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion#Newton's_third_law) is unforgiving, and Svyatogor was driven into the ground which, essentially, became his grave :smallfrown:

then less than one round later the entire planet hits the edge of the crystal sphere, while the thrower suffocates in wildspace.
He's standing on one of the elephants that holds it up.
It's possible the turtle will shift weight to compensate.There are numerous clues which point to the conclusion 3E didn't run on the silly Spelljammer cosmology: Elder Evils with World Born Dead (How the heck Atropus get there if world is encircled by a crystal sphere? Also, no air envelopes!), aliens in Return to the Temple of the Frog, Elminster and Laeral Silverhand on our Earth, Mace of Cuthbert in "The City Beyond the Gate"...