PDA

View Full Version : Abjuration wizard and keeping ward up

Shuruke
2019-05-19, 09:41 AM
So I'm playing an a.l game to play a barbarian wizard mix.

I'm deciding to work toward abjuration school but I've noticed that their aren't a lot of Abjuration spells

First level has quite a few
Absorb element
Shield
Protection from evil and good

But second level spells seems like arcane lock?

With the wording of arcane ward it states
"While ward has 0 hitppints it can't absorb damage, but the magic remains. Whenever you cast an Abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, the ward regains a number of hitpoints equal to twice the level of the spell."

What I'm confused about is it doesn't say twice the level of the spell slot.
Does that mean an up cast 1st level spell in second would still only give 2 hitpoints to ward?

Meaning the only way to gain 4 would be to cast arcane lock?

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong and instead should just see the ward as a bonus rather than something to try to always keep up

At first level with a +2 int it has 4 hp

By third level (when you get 2nd level slots) it'll have 8
At that time all have 4 first level spells and 2 second

If I always use a first level spell to trigger it than it makes the first level spell worth the full 8

However after that each first level spell will only be worth 2 (a max bonus of 6 if I don't use sleep or burning hands)

And the way it sounds is in order to get 4 from second level I need to use second level Spells not just spell slots
Meaning id have to use arcane lock? Which I'm sure I could find use for, locking a door to an enemies exit before attacking etc

So that'll make a maximium of 24 hitpoints to the ward or 20 and 2 false life's

Is this how its meant to work or can I just up cast absorb element (which is only first level wizard abjuration spell with scaling when up cast)

If its not based off of spell slot
Then that means using Abjuration rituals will grant hitpoints?

Tanarii
2019-05-19, 01:15 PM
Casting a Spell at a Higher Level
When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting.
First page of the PHB spell casting chapter.

And yes, ritual casting counts for Arcane Ward, albeit at the normal casting level since it doesn't use slots. Alarm is your friend if you have the time to ritual cast it repeatedly.

beargryllz
2019-05-19, 01:42 PM
Alarm the doors as you work through a dungeon, while your melee take short rests, etc. 2 points for every 10 minutes. Cheesy, minor, but worth doing for more than just the arcane ward refill

Otherwise, counterspell immediately refills 6 points even if it fails

Dispel magic refills it as well

Mage armor again if you've been adventuring for 8 hours

strangebloke
2019-05-19, 05:07 PM
Alarm the doors as you work through a dungeon, while your melee take short rests, etc. 2 points for every 10 minutes. Cheesy, minor, but worth doing for more than just the arcane ward refill

Otherwise, counterspell immediately refills 6 points even if it fails

Dispel magic refills it as well

Mage armor again if you've been adventuring for 8 hours

Always take the last watch of the night. The last watch doesn't count for a long rest, so cast alarm twenty times.

Skylivedk
2019-05-19, 05:32 PM
True cheese is using either the gnome racial feat for non-detection or warlock invocation for infinite Mage Armour

Talionis
2019-05-19, 09:39 PM
I think it’s assumed in down time you can ritual with alarm to refill the ward. It’s not cheese it’s how this archetype plays out mechanically within the rules. Wizards are smart characters they would figure out how to keep it recharged without draining resources.

Barbarian is a hard pairing since most abjuration wizards cast a lot of Shield spells. Rage just keeps that play style from working.

Counterspell and Dispelled Magic are both abjuration at level three spells.

Ganryu
2019-05-19, 11:04 PM
Pick Svirfneblin, grab Svirfneblin magic. You get nondetection at will, which will trigger arcane ward.

Shield's a strong option too as a reaction.