PDA

View Full Version : MM V Monster Stat Blocks and Standard v Full Attacks

tedcahill2
2019-05-19, 10:02 AM
The monster stat blocks presented in MM1 have separate entries for Attack and Full Attack. The stat blocks in MM 5 do not, they just have Melee or Melee or Range etc.

How do I know which attacks can be used with a standard action and which need a full attack action?

Kayblis
2019-05-19, 10:24 AM
You usually can only make a single attack with a standard action. MM5 removed the unnecessary "standard attack" line because you pretty much always use your primary weapon/natural weapon in a standard action(for monsters, it's the one with the biggest to-hit modifier - all others take the Secondary Weapon penalty). If you see a mopnster with all attacks with the same modifier(as in, someone with the Improved Multiattack feat), the primary attack is the first to appear in the Full Attack line.

Edit: This doesn't mean you HAVE to make the attack with your primary weapon. A monster with a stinger as a secondary weapon can use its stinger to attack with a standard action, for example. It's just uncommon to do so.

The Viscount
2019-05-19, 12:09 PM
The reason they default to attacking with the primary in older statblocks is because it has the highest bonus, secondary attacks take a -5 penalty.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-05-19, 04:56 PM
The older stat blocks worked to communicate as much information as possible, which left them a bit bloated and ugly. The newer ones instead worked to give you a streamlined version but can end up being right pains if you are not quick at calculating the missing information on your feet because Gygax knows your players will find that one situation where the deleted information is critical. A lot.

Thurbane
2019-05-19, 07:01 PM
I've mentioned this before, but I much prefer the pre-MM4 monster stat blocks. I find them more informative and easier to read.

Also, is it just me, or do a lot of the latter entries not touch on Environment or Organization? I like to use these sections to help populate areas of my campaign worlds.

HouseRules
2019-05-19, 07:57 PM
Not the only problem. Around middle of 2006, all monster stat blocks no longer have hit dice listed.
Only hit points are listed, assuming average is rolled rounded up.
And then we thought that most things round down, unless they are real world stuff that rounds the way real world works.

I prefer seeing the hit dice listed for monsters because I could scale by party size better.
1 hit point per hit dice for solo.
2 hit points per hit dice for party of 2.
3 hit points per hit dice for party of 3.
4 hit points per hit dice for party of 4.
5 hit points per hit dice for party of 5.
6 hit points per hit dice for party of 6.
7 hit points per hit dice for party of 7, except that fey needs to increase by 1 monster per 6 monster instead.
8 hit points per hit dice for party of 8, except that fey needs to increase by 1 monster per 3 monster instead.
9 hit points per hit dice for party of 9, with many monster types need to increase quantity because 8 is the maximum for d8.
10 hit points per hit dice for party of 10, with many monster types need to increase quantity because 8 is the maximum for d8.
11 hit points per hit dice for party of 11, with many monster types need to increase quantity because 10 is the maximum for d10.
12 hit points per hit dice for party of 12, with many monster types need to increase quantity because 10 is the maximum for d10.

Larger party requires more monsters.

Crake
2019-05-19, 10:58 PM
Not the only problem. Around middle of 2006, all monster stat blocks no longer have hit dice listed.
Only hit points are listed, assuming average is rolled rounded up.
And then we thought that most things round down, unless they are real world stuff that rounds the way real world works.

I prefer seeing the hit dice listed for monsters because I could scale by party size better.
1 hit point per hit dice for solo.
2 hit points per hit dice for party of 2.
3 hit points per hit dice for party of 3.
4 hit points per hit dice for party of 4.
5 hit points per hit dice for party of 5.
6 hit points per hit dice for party of 6.
7 hit points per hit dice for party of 7, except that fey needs to increase by 1 monster per 6 monster instead.
8 hit points per hit dice for party of 8, except that fey needs to increase by 1 monster per 3 monster instead.
9 hit points per hit dice for party of 9, with many monster types need to increase quantity because 8 is the maximum for d8.
10 hit points per hit dice for party of 10, with many monster types need to increase quantity because 8 is the maximum for d8.
11 hit points per hit dice for party of 11, with many monster types need to increase quantity because 10 is the maximum for d10.
12 hit points per hit dice for party of 12, with many monster types need to increase quantity because 10 is the maximum for d10.

Larger party requires more monsters.

Uhh, I'm not sure where you get that from, but the MM4 and 5 both have HD listed right next to HP in parentheses, for example: hp 42 (6 HD)

Unless you mean the HD size? That is usually extrapolated based on class or creature type, undead d12, outsider d8, magical beast d10 etc.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-05-19, 11:15 PM
They just assume you know what they mean with some stuff and if you don't you end up doing a lot of extra research. Those blocks only work well if you have a firm grasp of the game already.