PDA

View Full Version : Modules involving gods - slaying, becoming, etc

Quertus
2019-05-19, 11:45 PM
So, crazy question of the day: I'm looking for any modules that feature direct interaction with the gods. System doesn't matter. Initially, I was looking for any modules that gave the PCs the opportunity to ascend to godhood, but I felt that was too narrow a search. So, ideally, opportunities to ascend to godhood, or modules where you are intended to slay a deity, but any direct interaction with the gods will qualify.

Arbane
2019-05-20, 01:12 AM
Not modules, but the these games are all about gods and possibly becoming them:

Exalted - Part of the PCs' divinely-ordained duties is forcing unruly or corrupt minor deities to do their jobs properly.
Nobilis - you're the living being who embodies one of the fundamental concepts of Creation, such as Death, Happiness, or Pizza. Your boss might be a god.
Mythender - Kill the Gods. Try not to become one in the process.
Godbound - God is dead because Humanity killed Him, and you might be His replacements.

For D&D, the most obvious one is AD&D's Queen of the Demonweb Pits - go into the Abyss and kill Lolth, Demon Queen of Spiders, goddess of the drow. For levels 10-14.

DrKerosene
2019-05-20, 01:46 AM
Isn’t there a temple in Galorian, where a guy ascended to godhood while blackout drunk? I don’t recall any official modules, but it is used in this DnDGreenText http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/21445029/

In 3.5e days there was an Elder Evil named Pandorym that had a loosely scetched out adventure arc. It could be that a side-effect of Pandorym killing all the gods is that your Party (and any other competent NPCs) can snatch up bits of divinity for themselves.

IIRC both Die Vecna Die and The Modron March may qualify too.

The Dragon Magazine Githyanki invasion arc has stats for the Gith city that is built on the body of a dead god.

I believe that the monsters known as Morkoth live on islands that were once the corpse of a dead god of greed.

I’ve purposefully ignored the official DnD settings lore about Mask, Bane, Mystara, etc, and all the deaths and semi-deaths.

I believe there is a third-party book called The Apocalypse Stone that has an in-universe self-destruct button, and I’d say you can probably fudge that adventure enough to have “ascend as the new gods” be something that happens. I don’t recall if it actually kills the gods though.

Do you want killing the avatars of gods to be included? Because The Red Hand Of Doom may qualify.

NichG
2019-05-20, 04:06 AM
Harbinger House in Planescape is one that centers around an attempt at ascension.

Khedrac
2019-05-20, 05:42 AM
BECMI D&D modules IM1 to IM3 probably count as it is for Immortal characters who are the equivalent of gods (though IM3 forgets that).

Firest Kathon
2019-05-20, 06:38 AM
The Pathfinder adventure path Iron Gods (https://paizo.com/store/pathfinder/adventures/adventurePath/ironGods) includes the slaying of several AIs which ascended to godhood.

Isn’t there a temple in Galorian, where a guy ascended to godhood while blackout drunk? I don’t recall any official modules, but it is used in this DnDGreenText http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/21445029/
The Golarion god Cayden Cailean (https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Cayden_Cailean) completed the Test of the Starstone, which is a way to ascend to godhood. Most stories claim that he was quite drunk while doing it.

Florian
2019-05-20, 06:43 AM
That Lloth-thingie? Queen of the Demonweb Pits? Beyond that, Planescape features a tiny fraction there, with Harbinger House and that campaign centered on Orcus. Else, I don't know any, really and I think I know most of the published modules and campaigns for D&D and PF.

Iron Gods has you help ascent a minor deity, but those are... not overly spectacular in PF, models that have you go up against demon lords and such don't really count, even while they grant divine spells, as at least in PF, that's a far cry from true divinity.

Vogie
2019-05-20, 08:23 AM
The third party Godsfall worldbook is based on the PCs acting as various Godlings in a world where the Gods had all fallen and were being reborn

Quarian Rex
2019-05-21, 07:56 AM
Have a look at The Primal Order (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/118293/The-Primal-Order&affiliate_id=295633&src=RPChronicle). It's a book that WotC released before they even had MtG, designed as a means of god creation/use that can be applied to any system, and it is actually successful. If you want to make gods tangible, interact-able beings in your world then this is the book for you. It is a treasure trove of crunchy goodness and even has conversion notes for a crapton of systems/settings (though not for any form of D&D due to a Palladium lawsuit, but there are enough similar systems to make a 3.P conversion simple enough).

Check it out.

Willie the Duck
2019-05-21, 08:11 AM
I’ve purposefully ignored the official DnD settings lore about Mask, Bane, Mystara, etc, and all the deaths and semi-deaths.

But for the OP's benefits, the Forgotten Realms 'Time of Troubles' modules are here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowdale_(module)), here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantras_(module)), and here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterdeep_(module)).

Quertus
2019-05-21, 07:38 PM
So we've got the old one(kill), the Time of Trouble one (kill?), and the Pathfinder one (ascend?). I thought that there was a new one (is red hand of doom (interact) new?), and a Spelljamming / Planescape one, too (or does that "orcus thing" involve interacting with gods directly?). Plus a really old "interacting with immortals" - as immortals? Is there an "ascension" phase in there somewhere?

Then we've got whole systems dedicated to gods, and even a meta system that could be applied to any system.

Did I miss anything?

Are there any modules that aren't D&D, and aren't in systems exclusively about deities, that involve direct interactions with deities?

Kyutaru
2019-05-21, 08:02 PM
Also of note is that the old Lloth slaying adventure was meant for what at the time were basically epic level characters. Level 10-14 in 1st edition meant you were basically demigods. Modern day heroes would be like level 30.

There's also the newer 5th edition Rise of Tiamat where you can fight the goddess Tiamat.

BWR
2019-05-22, 01:32 AM
BECMI modules:
M1 "Into the Maelstrom" You interact with a couple Immortals (gods), some of which are more like Gold Box Immortals, others of which are more like "Wrath of the Immortals" ones.
M5 "Talons of the Night", you end up fighting the Night Spider, a weak Immortal - since the rules used for her don't gel with the proper rules presented in "Wrath of the Immortals", I assume she's been severely nerfed.

Planescape "Dead Gods", though this is more a weak undead god rather than a full-powered one.

The RPG Tribe 8: the Fatima who run society are avatars of Goddess, if that counts.

Kult: set in our world, all humans are actually gods tricked into enslaving themselves into this world of crude flesh. The game is about waking up and regaining your divinity....though mostly it's about horror. As horror goes it's at the other end of the spectrum than CoC, being mostly body horror and where the powerful beings of the multiverse really do have a direct and vested in your suffering.

Khedrac
2019-05-22, 02:49 AM
For brief interaction you also get:

AD&D T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil.
As written, there is a point where Iuz turns up to kill the part for messing up his plans. There's a 75% chance St Cuthbert notices and turns up to stop him (in which case they leave to 'discuss' their differences somewhere without moral witnesses); if he doesn't it's adventure over.

3.5 D&D Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk
Iuz turns up to monologue at the party, if they interrupt he "uses enough power attack to reduce the character to 1-4 hit points" - so it's a 1st Ed harm spell - but doesn't really do anything to the party other than that.
Zuoken also turns up (to thank the party) before leaving.

Kol Korran
2019-05-22, 05:31 AM
In Wrath of The Rigtheous AP for Pathfinder, in the 4th, 5th and 6th module there are interactions with 3 demon lords (including fighting and killing two) and one god. Also due to using Mythic Rules, the PCs cannpotentislly becom3 deities, though this isn't covered in the AP:
- In the 4th (The Midnight Isles) you get to talk with Nocticula. Also, possibly (A ling shot) fight and kill Baphomet (though he gets better).
- The 5th module (Heraldnof the Ivory Labyrinth) starts with the PCs being summoned to Iomedae's personal realm. The interaction is a conversation, and also some tests. (Mostly answering questions). Later in the module, The PCs have another chance killing Baphomet.
- At the end of the 6th module (City of locusts), the PCs fight and kill Deskari. Also there may be further interactions with Nocticula. (Though minor ones).
- In the Mythic rules of PF, in the universal path, exist 3 escalating abilities of basically becoming a deity. That is not part of the AP however.

A small (yet potentially important) note: In my opinion, the interactions with the demon lords and gods in the AP... are bad, really bad, and a missed chance at something far more impressing. In my run of the game, though we've stopped near th3 end if the 4th module, I changed these considerably. If you're interested, check my campaign log, in my extended sig. The session dealing with Nocticula was one of the most memorable gaming experiences we've had!

Lapak
2019-05-23, 06:41 AM
It's after the adventure, not part of the adventure, but the 2e AD&D Spelljammer module 'Under the Dark Fist' does give the PCs direct access to the gods at the end, in that the surprise goal of the adventure is to free the gods of the antagonist's Crystal Sphere from imprisonment imprisonment, and the party members get a face-to-face and a super-Wish as a reward if they do.