PDA

View Full Version : DM game me a custom feat, now to make it work.

Misterwhisper
2019-05-20, 11:17 AM
First off, just want to say that the custom feat was not my idea, the DM just gave it to me to start a new character with.

CUSTOM FEAT:

Master of Slings:

+1 Dexterity

If you are wielding an unloaded sling you may use at as a melee weapon with the properties of reach and finesse that does 1d4 slashing damage.
If you make a ranged attack using a sling as part of your attack action, you may use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the unloaded sling.

(essentially I can use an unloaded sling as if it was a whip and get a bonus action attack if I both range and melee with it in one turn)

Now comes the question of what to do with it.

Slings but not light, so no TWF, not that I need to.
Slings have ammunition but not loading so nothing is stopping me from using a shield in my other hand if I have proficiency.

Swashbuckler would be good, bonus action attack, ranged weapon and melee weapon all in one hand, but no shield proficiency.
Weak whip/sling damage can be shored up by sneak attack.

Fighter of whatever type is not bad. Could take dueling or archery style.

Could probably make a ranger work just as good as a fighter.

Lots of possibilities but nothing just jumps out at me.

JNAProductions
2019-05-20, 11:20 AM
Rogue is probably best-they like having an extra attack the most.

Overall, though, anyone that likes weapon use should be fine with this. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-20, 11:50 AM
Rogue is probably best-they like having an extra attack the most.

Overall, though, anyone that likes weapon use should be fine with this. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I agree.

The Sling still does really low damage. The best way of getting more value out of it is by increasing the base damage of your attacks somehow.

Rogue's Sneak Attack is a valid choice, but so is a Ranger with Hunter's Mark (so long as you're an Archetype that attacks and doesn't rely on your Bonus Action).

Because of the short range of the Sling and the special attack, I'd recommend the Scout.

Misterwhisper
2019-05-20, 12:07 PM
I agree.

The Sling still does really low damage. The best way of getting more value out of it is by increasing the base damage of your attacks somehow.

Rogue's Sneak Attack is a valid choice, but so is a Ranger with Hunter's Mark (so long as you're an Archetype that attacks and doesn't rely on your Bonus Action).

Because of the short range of the Sling and the special attack, I'd recommend the Scout.

Scout does seem pretty neat.

Maybe a more primitive minded tabaxi scout.

I have always been a fan of any race with a climb speed and they get great skills.

Don't really want to be charisma guy but that +1 does not matter much.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-20, 01:05 PM
Lots of possibilities but nothing just jumps out at me.
Yeah, it's... honestly not helping that much. Slings aren't that great, whips aren't that great, and having one weapon work as doesn't do much to mitigate their weaknesses. There really isn't any support for switch-hitting, either. I'd see if the DM will let you take the Close Quarters Fighting Style from the Underdark UA, which will make you a little bit better at the kind of point-blank skirmishing this pushes you into. Rogue is probably your best bet, just because they care the least about weapon damage dice. Either that or a Sharpshooter Fighter.

(My version of a sling feat, for comparison, is:
War Slinger
When wielding a sling, you gain the following benefits:

Increase the sling's damage die to 1d8
You may load and fire a sling without needing a free hand.
After successfully striking a target with your sling, you may cause the stone to ricochet. Make a second attack against a target within 10ft of the original; on a hit, you deal damage equal to your Dexterity modifier.
)

Slings have ammunition but not loading so nothing is stopping me from using a shield in my other hand if I have proficiency.
Ruined by errata, unfortunately:

Ammunition (p. 146). The following text has been added to the end of the third sentence: “... (you need a free hand to load a one-handed weapon).”
The only way to make it work would be to dip into Artificer for the Repeating Shot infusion. (You can also pick up Arcane Weapon for +1d6/hit)

8wGremlin
2019-05-20, 01:16 PM
What about monk?
Slings are a monk weapon, as they level up you’d be using the martial arts dice.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-20, 01:21 PM
What about monk?
Slings are a monk weapon, as they level up you’d be using the martial arts dice.

That's...actually not a bad idea.

You'd probably want to avoid anything that:

Requires you to use unarmed strikes (Drunken Master, Open Hand).
Requires you to be adjacent to the target (Long Death).
Provides its own attacks (Sun Soul).
Regularly uses a Bonus Action (Kensei).

Which leaves you with Shadow and Four Elements.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-20, 01:47 PM
Requires you to use unarmed strikes (Drunken Master, Open Hand).
Eh. You either use your bonus action to sling-whip, or to Flurry. Goes fine with those two.

8wGremlin
2019-05-20, 02:48 PM
You can also use
You have mastered ranged weapons and can make shots that others find impossible. You gain the following benefits:
Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.
Your ranged weapon attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.
Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a - 5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack’s damage.

Misterwhisper
2019-05-20, 03:20 PM
You can also use

If I go fighter I will take it at some point, like level 8 or so