PDA

View Full Version : Beast Conclave

Theodoxus
2019-05-20, 12:17 PM
Here's my rebuild of the Beast Conclave, using the Artificer's Iron Defender as a prototype.

Feedback appreciated :smallbiggrin:

Beast Conclave

Many rangers are more at home in the wilds than in civilization, to the point where animals consider them kin. Rangers of the Beast Conclave develop a close bond with a spirit beast, then further strengthen that bond through the use of magic.

Spirit Animal Companion
At 3rd level, you learn to use your magic to create a powerful bond with a creature of the spirit world. During a long rest and the expenditure of 50 gp worth of rare herbs and fine food, you call forth an animal spirit from the surrounding wilderness to serve as your faithful companion. You can choose the form your companion assumes from among the following animals: a bear, boar, cat, lizard, raptor, serpent, spider, or wolf. These companions are listed at the end of the chapter.

At the end of the long rest, your spirit animal companion appears and gains all the benefits of your Companion’s Bond ability. You can have only one spirit animal companion at a time. You can use a long rest to change your spirit animal's form to another from the list.

If your spirit animal companion is ever slain, the magical bond you share allows you to return it to life. As an action and the expenditure of a spell slot, you call forth your companion’s spirit and use your magic to create a new body for it. You can return a spirit animal companion to life in this manner even if you do not possess any part of its body. You can also choose a new form at this time.

Companion’s Bond
Your spirit animal companion gains a variety of benefits while it is linked to you.
* The companion's additional hit points equal five times your level in this class + your Wisdom modifier.
* The companion obeys your commands.
* It shares your initiative, but you can have it act before or after you.
* It can move and use its reaction on its own, but the only action it takes on its turn is the Dodge action, unless you take a bonus action on your turn to command it to take one of the actions in its stat block or the Dash, Disengage, or Help action.
* When using your Natural Explorer feature, you and your companion can both move stealthily at a normal pace.
* Your companion has abilities and game statistics determined in part by your level. Your companion uses your proficiency bonus. In addition to the areas where it normally uses its proficiency bonus, a companion also adds your proficiency bonus to its defenses and its damage rolls.
* Your companion gains proficiency in two additional skills of your choice.
* Whenever you gain the Ability Score Improvement class feature, your companion’s abilities also improve.
Your companion can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or it can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, your companion can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
* Your companion shares your alignment, and has a personality trait and a flaw that you can roll for or select from the tables below. Your companion shares your ideal, and its bond is always, "The ranger who travels with me is a beloved companion for whom I would gladly give my life.”
Your animal companion gains the benefits of your Favored Enemy feature, and of your Greater Favored Enemy feature when you gain that feature at 6th level. It uses the favored enemies you selected for those features.

d6
Trait

I’m dauntless in the face of adversity.

Threaten my friends, threaten me.

I stay on alert so others can rest.

People see an animal and underestimate me. I use that to my advantage.

I have a knack for showing up in the nick of time.

I put my friends’ needs before my own in all things.

d6
Flaw

If there’s food left unattended, I’ll eat it.

I growl at strangers, and all people except my ranger are strangers to me.

Any time is a good time for a belly rub.

I’m deathly afraid of water.

My idea of hello is a flurry of licks to the face.

I jump on creatures to tell them how much I love them.

Vigilant
Starting at 5th level The companion can’t be surprised.

Defensive Pounce
Also at 5th level, as a reaction the companion can impose disadvantage on the attack roll of one creature it can see that is adjacent to it, provided the attack roll is against a creature other than the companion.

Beast’s Defense
At 7th level, while your companion can see you, it imposes disadvantage on all attacks against it.

Storm of Claws and Fangs
At 11th level, your companion can use its action to make a basic melee attack against each creature of its choice within burst 1, with a separate attack roll for each target.

Superior Beast’s Defense
At 15th level, whenever an attacker that your companion can see hits it with an attack, it can use its reaction to halve the attack’s damage against it.

Spirit Animal Companions
Bear
Brown bears and similar creatures fall into this category.
Ability Scores: Strength 16, Constitution 14, Dexterity 12, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 12, Charisma 6
Size: Medium
Speed:25 feet
Defense: AC 12,
Hit Points: Base 6
Attack Bonus: Base +3
Melee Basic Attack: Claw; vs. AC; 1d12 + Strength modifier
Trained Skills: Athletics, Survival

Boar
Boars are tough, resilient, and ferocious companions.
Ability Scores: Strength 16, Constitution 16, Dexterity 14, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 12, Charisma 6
Speed: 30 feet, 40 feet when charging
Defense: AC 14
Hit Points: Base 4
Melee Basic Attack: Gore; vs. AC; 1d8 + Strength modifier
Charge: When charging, a boar gains a +2 bonus to its damage roll.
Trained Skill: Survival

Cat
Cats include lions, tigers, cougars, and similar predators.
Ability Scores: Strength 14, Constitution 12, Dexterity 16, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 14, Charisma 6
Speed: 35 feet
Melee Basic Attack: Claw; vs. AC; 1d8 + Dexterity modifier
Trained Skills: Athletics, Stealth

Lizard
The lizard category includes crocodiles and drakes.
Ability Scores: Strength 16, Constitution 14, Dexterity 16, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 12, Charisma 6
Speed: 30 feet
Defense: AC 15
Melee Basic Attack: Bite or claw; vs. AC; 1d8 + Strength modifier
Opportunity Attacks: A lizard gains a +2 bonus to the attack roll when making an opportunity attack.

Raptor
The raptor category includes eagles, falcons, hawks.
Ability Scores: Strength 12, Constitution 12, Dexterity 18, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 12, Charisma 6
Size: Small
Speed: 10 feet, fly 35 feet (hover)
Hit Points: Base 2
Attack Bonus: Base +4
Melee Basic Attack: Claw; vs. AC; 1d6 + Dexterity modifier
Trained Skill: Perception

Serpent
The serpent category includes non-venomous snakes.
Ability Scores: Strength 14, Constitution 14, Dexterity 16, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 12, Charisma 6
Speed: 25 feet, swim 25 feet
Melee Basic Attack: Bite; vs. AC; 1d8 + Dexterity modifier
Opportunity Attacks: A serpent gains a bonus to opportunity attack damage rolls equal to its Strength modifier.
Trained Skill: Stealth

Spider
Found in the Underdark and in primeval forests.
Ability Scores: Strength 14, Constitution 12, Dexterity 16, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 12, Charisma 6
Speed: 30 feet, climb 30 feet (spider climb)
Melee Basic Attack: Bite; vs. AC; 1d8 + Dexterity modifier

Wolf
The wolf category includes predatory canines.
Ability Scores: Strength 14, Constitution 14, Dexterity 14, Intelligence 6, Wisdom 14, Charisma 6
Speed: 35 feet
Attack Bonus: Base +2
Melee Basic Attack: Bite; vs. AC; 1d8 + Strength modifier
Special: When a wolf has advantage against a target, the wolf gains a bonus to damage rolls against the target equal to the wolf’s Wisdom modifier.
Trained Skills:Perception, Survival

Rukelnikov
2019-05-20, 12:54 PM
Feels like a nerf honestly, having to spend the BA to choose from a limited set of choices, instead of having it be an independent creature.

Reviving it with just one slot would be very strong though.

Theodoxus
2019-05-20, 01:32 PM
As opposed to using your action?

Rukelnikov
2019-05-20, 02:05 PM
As opposed to using your action?

Beast Conclave is the Revised Ranger version, is spends nothing, like a familiar. The PHB version is Beast Master, if you mean to replace that one its ok... but I'd just use the Revised one.