PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Domain: Spark of the Primordial

PwrHngryTortois
2019-05-20, 01:35 PM
I thought the Tempest Cleric was cool but was missing a little something, and also thought there should be a Primordial based cleric since the gods already have like 13 subclasses. In theory there should be subclasses for each elemental type, but I decided to start out with lightning because it seemed the most fun. I'm also just generally a fan of any spellsword that actually has a reason to swing their sword, so I tried to give this one a reason to stay close quarters seeing as all of the vanilla ones are just better off staying back and slinging spells. Let me know what you think/any suggestions you have!

Spark of the Primordial

Spark Clerics do not worship a God and instead find themselves favored by a Primordial. They are compelled to quest and test their power, as well as cary out the Primordial's will on the Material Plane. They also bare an innate distrust of fey and distain for all true dragons, as dragons have nearly taken over the Primordial plane and the fey are made by the Gods. Elves and Gnomes are rarely picked to be Spark Clerics by Primordials due to their fey ancestry, and most Spark Clerics tend to be Dragonborn as they already have a connection to the Primordial plane.

Spell List:

1st
Thunderwave
Absorb Elements

3rd
Enhance Ability
Shatter

5th
Call Lightning
Thunderstep

7th
Elemental Bane
Conjure Minor Elementals

9th
Destructive Wave
Contact Other Plane

Bonus Proficiency
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain proficiency with heavy armor and martial weapons.

Unburdened Spark
From 1st level, you command the speed and dexterity of the lighting magic you control. When you make the attack action on your turn, you may cast the cantrip Shocking Grasp as a bonus action, then move up to 10 feet.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Channel Divinity: Shocking Strike
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to enhance the impact of lightning damage you cause.

When you hit a creature or a group of creatures with lightning damage, you can use your Channel Divinity to attempt to stun your foes. Each creature that takes damage from your attack must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, until the end of your next turn, an affected creature can't take reactions, has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws, and that creature’s movement speed becomes zero.

Storm Conduit
At 6th level, you gain resistance to lightning damage. In addition, whenever you cast a spell of 1st level or higher that deals lightning damage and targets you or an area you occupy, creatures other than yourself have disadvantage on that spell’s saving throw.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with electric power. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 lightning damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

More than a Spark
At 17th level, the Spark inside you magnifies and modifies your body:

• You gain immunity to lightning damage.

• Your walking speed increases by 20ft
• Your jump distance becomes equal to your walking speed.
• You may move as if under the effects of the spell Spider Climb.

sleepyhead
2019-05-20, 06:18 PM
Bonus Proficiency
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain proficiency with heavy armor and martial weapons.

Nothing wrong here

Unburdened Spark
From 1st level, you command the speed and dexterity of the lighting magic you control. When you make the attack action on your turn, you may cast the cantrip Shocking Grasp as a bonus action, then move up to 10 feet.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Seems to me to be a direct upgrade (this doing about 2d8b+1d8L) to the war clerics ability (allowing an extra attack of about 1d8b+2/3) and the Tempest domain (only doing a 2d8L/t on a reaction to being hit). So I would recommend dropping the Shocking Grasp bit and just allowing the movement, not to exciting but more balanced. Or to limit the OPness you could have this just be an action and just drop the "When you make the attack action on your turn" and bonus action stuff, so it's just the shocking grasp (1d8b+1d8L). Still more powerful then war cleric but up to you.

Channel Divinity: Shocking Strike
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to enhance the impact of lightning damage you cause.

When you hit a creature or a group of creatures with lightning damage, you can use your Channel Divinity to attempt to stun your foes. Each creature that takes damage from your attack must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, until the end of your next turn, an affected creature can't take reactions, has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws, and that creature’s movement speed becomes zero.

This seems fine to me. Is it suppose to help you get away from people?

Storm Conduit
At 6th level, you gain resistance to lightning damage. In addition, whenever you cast a spell of 1st level or higher that deals lightning damage and targets you or an area you occupy, creatures other than yourself have disadvantage on that spell’s saving throw.

Resistance to lightning is fine. Assuming your using Call lightning on your self to use this you'll still be taking damage and that's not to good considering that it's a concentration spell. Still a fun ability, just not the most practical.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with electric power. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 lightning damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Really powerful mixed with Unburdened Strike (dealing an extra 4d8L damage) but other then that seems like a reasonable feature.

More than a Spark
At 17th level, the Spark inside you magnifies and modifies your body:

• You gain immunity to lightning damage.

• Your walking speed increases by 20ft
• Your jump distance becomes equal to your walking speed.
• You may move as if under the effects of the spell Spider Climb.

First add on is legit. Additional speed seems kind of rushed, would recommend have +10ft at an earlier level(6th). Jump distance kind of comes out of nowhere and is extremely far (50ft.) I would recommend doing half of movement for jump. Are you just becoming Flash at this point? Last one might be a little much. Why do you need Spider Climb if you could just jump where you need to go? Also your wizard could probably just cast fly on you at this point.