PDA

View Full Version : DCs for eating a lot of food

No brains
2019-05-20, 05:34 PM
What DCs would you set for a PC trying to eat an enormous amount of food, both numerically and number of times they would face that DC?

Like if someone wanted to eat Big Smoke's order, Bubble Bass' burger, a Taco Town 15-layer taco or some other crime against nature? Would they make an ability check or a save? Would they make it during various stages of eating? Would they need to make more to keep it down?

Does any of this matter?

Kane0
2019-05-20, 05:50 PM
Sounds like CON to me.

JNAProductions
2019-05-20, 05:51 PM
What DCs would you set for a PC trying to eat an enormous amount of food, both numerically and number of times they would face that DC?

Like if someone wanted to eat Big Smoke's order, Bubble Bass' burger, a Taco Town 15-layer taco or some other crime against nature? Would they make an ability check or a save? Would they make it during various stages of eating? Would they need to make more to keep it down?

Does any of this matter?

Probably not.

Make a quick Con check or save, narrate the results, and be done with it. What specific situation did you have in mind?

Puh Laden
2019-05-20, 05:55 PM
If it mattered, it'd probably be a lowish DC 10-12 Constitution saving throw or Constitution (Cook's Utensils) check. Failure means one level of exhaustion or, if an eating contest, losing the contest.

EDIT: on second thought, eating something like what is described / winning an eating contest is actually pretty difficult. So probably DC 15. An eating contest would either be one check or three success before three failures / before the opponents succeeded.

Sigreid
2019-05-20, 06:58 PM
If it's something like a hotdog eating contest I'd have each roll a Con ability check and highest roll wins. A more dramatic win the greater the difference between the numbers.

If they just want to make a pig of themselves for the hell of it, I'd just let them do it.

Joe the Rat
2019-05-20, 07:13 PM
I went Con checks for food. If it's open ended, I go progressive - 8, +2 per round; success means you pack it in, one fail means you get the meat sweats (disadvantage from then on), two fails you're done.

Blow it by five, you choke. Possibly literally.

For drinking, I went for Con saves, as it would favor classes with hard-drinking reputations (Barbarians, Fighters, Sorcerers, etc.).

I'm working on an adventure with a harvest festival. This is the core of the consumption games.