PDA

View Full Version : Commanding conjured creatures

Samayu
2019-05-20, 10:31 PM
Conjure Elemental and Conjure Animals both state that verbal commands are given. But neither creature type generally understands languages other than their own (if any). How do you rule this?

The caster communicates through the magic force that summoned them? The spell grants telepathy between the caster and creatures? The spell grants the summoned creatures the ability to understand the language of the caster? The spell specifically conjures creatures that happen to know the language of the caster? The commands are magical and not spoken, but it is a requirement of game balance that the player states the commands in words?

hymer
2019-05-21, 02:23 AM
I rule that they do what their conjurer tells them to do, in whatever language spoken to them by the conjurer. They cannot talk back unless the conjurer understands whatever language they are endowed with in their stat block. I might allow telepathic commands in some cases, but it would/should still be clear who is doing the commanding. But telepathy would be useful in overcoming a language barrier in the other direction.

Sigreid
2019-05-21, 07:32 AM
Remember, most summoned beings aren't really the creatures but spirits that take the form of the creatures.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-21, 11:08 AM
Let's not forget that the Beast Master's Companion doesn't really understand you. It simply "obeys your commands as best as it can". But there's a spell that bridges that gap (Beast Bond).

At my tables, I just say that the creatures attempt to understand what you're trying to convey, but they generally can't take complex orders (like "Polymorph me and my friends into Dinosaurs!").

Callak_Remier
2019-05-21, 11:27 AM
A summoned creature understands the intent of the commands if not the exact words.