PDA

View Full Version : Player Help My “It will never survive” Rock Gnome Wizard in AL now almost 4th

ZorroGames
2019-05-21, 11:32 AM
BLUF using down time and GP what * spells - see below - should I scribe into my book?

S 8 D 10 Co 16 IN 16 W 10 CH 14 stats. Enchanter School

Pulled from my archive of characters of “run it once just for kicks.” Ended up running in four games, three in Waterdeep.

Actually did quite well using cover as much as possible in his adventuring.

Thinking of putting him back in play. Hence the above question.

Note: It has been suggested I switch my Dexterity and my CH since he has a Criminal background. He did choose school of Enchantment though. Thinking, “Thanks but no...”. Comments on that?

Has been recipient of 2 enemy spell books * Early on!

Cantrips

Friends
Firebolt
Mage Hand

First Level

Charm Person
Sleep
Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Shield
Disguise Self
Find Familiar
++++++++++
* Burning Hands
* Unseen Servant
* Witch Bolt
++++++++++
*Comprehend Languages
* Expeditious Retreat
* Feather Fall
* Ray of Sickness
++++++++++

Second Level

Hold Person
Suggestion
++++++++
* Invisibility
* See Invisibility

Duplicate spells in found books not shown.

Gracias in advance.

JNAProductions
2019-05-21, 11:34 AM
Why wouldn't he survive?

ZorroGames
2019-05-21, 12:46 PM
Why wouldn't he survive?

First played with people who had only seen my Mountain Dwarf Martial characters.

They saw AC 10, DE 10, Wizard, Gnome, no MA or Shield on my readied list, and the cry went up, “It will never Survive!”

Four door jambs, three sets of barrels and/wooden boxes later plus once Cantrip then move through and behind 6 other characters alley fight I was declared “Lucky” because my shoot and scoot tactics were not considered a tactical play. The fact that I never repeated my actions in the same fight each round was ignored.

The DM found it easier to focus on the other 6 players with potentially “weaker” saves after my advantage on saves plus half/three-quarter cover (total when I could get it) came into play repeatedly. The natural 20 on the first Dex save plus decent HP for a Wizard I think also affected his play. Most of the characters were ranged focused but one melee capable Fighter and a Barbarian certainly were factors too.

Took another adventure where I did the same style fighting plus my “Roof Top Sniper” play in the second game to make the comments more of a reflex from the melee/Missile focused martial players and become less vehement when they were spoken.

Yes if I stood in the open I would have died horribly. Yes I usually play the melee Dwarf mindset with my MD characters. But now I am two AP away from Fourth level. And I have downtime and gold to improve my Spellbook though I have not done badly so far in my casting.

ZorroGames
2019-05-21, 12:52 PM
I am thinking some set of these candidates at least:

First Level

*Comprehend Languages
* Expeditious Retreat
* Feather Fall

Second Level

* Invisibility

Better ideas?

Keravath
2019-05-21, 01:17 PM
I'm just trying to figure out how you are only almost 4th :)

Most AL these days is 1ACP/hour. Four adventures would usually be somewhere between 3-5 ACP each depending on how long your local game store runs. When I did Waterdeep we actually ran some 5 hour sessions resulting in 5ACP/5TCP. 4th level only needs 12 ACP so it could be one 2 hour and 3 x 3 hour adventures?

However, if you are only 3rd level at the moment, then the real constraint is the limited funds available. You only have 150gp to spend which significantly limits your choices.

Anyway from the ones you have listed with a star ...
1) Comprehend Languages - extremely useful ritual in many cases especially in AL where situations will come up which are much easier if you can understand the clues
2) Feather Fall - situational I know but extremely useful in the right circumstances where plummeting can mean a character death - the problem with this one is that if you have it in your spell book you are probably going to want to prepare it and prepared spells are limited
3) Unseen Servant - useful ritual
4) Invisibility - good utility spell for being sneaky - less useful if you didn't take proficiency in stealth - since you can't attack/cast a spell and remain invisible it tends to be a movement/stealth application

Finally, in terms of your stats, wizards can often manage to hide at the back of a group. However, as you face more intelligent opponents in your AL adventures, they may very well choose not to leave the caster alone in the back because they know very well the threat they represent. In addition, there will be many situations where cover is not readily available though that may depend on whether the DM allows you to use other party members as cover due to your size. Swapping dex and charisma increases your dex saving throw by 2, increases your AC by 2 and increases your initiative by 2. Unless your character has taken proficiency in some of the charisma based skills and these are an important aspect of your character then swapping dex and cha makes sense in terms of trying to keep your character alive longer since the tactics you have been using so far won't always work and you won't be able to rely on good rolls in every combat.

That said, play what you like, once the character hits tier 2 you may find them less fun to play if they mostly fail DC 15-17 dex saves and only have an AC13 and end up getting hit frequently. On the other hand, you might be able to keep up the hiding at the back tactics (I know others who have used this very effectively) and that may be sufficient.

P.S. Expeditious retreat could be useful given your planned play style but it will conflict with anything else you use that might require concentration. It also takes up a prepared spell slot.

ZorroGames
2019-05-21, 03:42 PM
Multiple 2 hour adventures? I have it recorded on my log sheets.

ZorroGames
2019-05-21, 03:43 PM
I spend a lot of time hiding behind humans, Elves, Dragonborn and Tieflings .

Particle_Man
2019-05-21, 09:54 PM
Criminal background could be con artist which is chr friendly.

opaopajr
2019-05-22, 06:33 AM
I am thinking some set of these candidates at least:

First Level

*Comprehend Languages
* Expeditious Retreat
* Feather Fall

Second Level

* Invisibility

Better ideas?

I actually would have the similar priorities myself. :smallsmile: In fact, it would be learned in this order:

Feather Fall
Comprehend Languages
Unseen Servant
Invisibility

Expeditious Retreat is also nice for survival, but I prefer Unseen Servant for more exploration power projection (while staying mostly safe). That and Find Familiar should open all the switches and levers! :smallbiggrin:

Feather Fall can save a party a world of hurt outright. Comprehend Languages works like hand in glove with Disguise Self (and you have Friends!). And Invisibility is for solo scouting.

As for swapping DEX with CHA becuase Criminal background? Nah. Too often DEX is upped -- and it makes sense here, too -- but this seems like a fun challenge. You're an Enchanter, you're a Criminal who focuses on the Deception, not the Stealth. :smalltongue: Besides, CHA 14 with Deception is not wasteful for an Enchanter with Charm Person, Friends, etc. It's safety through redundancy. :smallcool: That's how you do your regular work while saving your aces up your sleeves. :smallwink:

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-22, 07:31 AM
Might be worth grabbing Mirror Image; that's a great defensive spell that fits with the evasive enchanter schtick.