PDA

View Full Version : Need some Ornithomancy (well, Bird Visions)

Karnitis
2019-05-21, 05:22 PM
I gave my players a Silver Raven and told them they could choose the bird's name/summoning word. After a close second of 'Jim,' they settled on 'Thattso.' I'm rather ashamed if I need to explain either name choice.

In any case, they asked if the bird could get visions. I said sure, but only on a successful Religion check and they would all be bird-related. So I want some of the most ridiculous bird visions you can think of. Bonus points if they're bird-related but could also double as vague foreshadowing.

Ex:
"The raven smells old eggs and feasts on juicy white berries." (Dead bodies smell like rotten eggs, juicy white berries are a person's eyes)

"A veil of darkness falls over all the land, and only whispers can be heard" (The raven is put in a cage, it is covered in a sheet, and the person goes to sleep)

I don't think they'll honestly remember to use it much, and I plan on making the DC difficult (18-20), but ideally I want at least 10, maybe 20 for either a percentile roll or a d20.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-21, 05:38 PM
"They move quickly. I move faster. Victory tastes sweet, and feels warm". The raven hunts a rabbit in the wilderness.

"I awaken to the sound of human metal, and human shouting. A loud race". The raven wakens to the sound of a blacksmith and his apprentice, starting their chores early in the morning.

"I hear prey under moonlight. The prey must be far too small or too fast to be seen". The raven detects sounds of an invisible creature, stalking the party in their camp. Potentially an invisible Phasebeast or something similar.

Karnitis
2019-05-22, 12:27 PM
"They move quickly. I move faster. Victory tastes sweet, and feels warm". The raven hunts a rabbit in the wilderness.

"I awaken to the sound of human metal, and human shouting. A loud race". The raven wakens to the sound of a blacksmith and his apprentice, starting their chores early in the morning.

"I hear prey under moonlight. The prey must be far too small or too fast to be seen". The raven detects sounds of an invisible creature, stalking the party in their camp. Potentially an invisible Phasebeast or something similar.

Love these! If I specify the third as a full moon, it should hopefully be a big enough hint to the players to set up a guard. Sneaky.

Cicciograna
2019-05-22, 12:36 PM
I'm rather ashamed if I need to explain either name choice.

I don't get either of them.

Karnitis
2019-05-22, 12:43 PM
I don't get either of them.

That's So Raven was a TV show on Disney about a teenage girl who could get visions of the future. Teenage girl tries to thwart visions, hilarity ensues. Thus, why my players would ask for Thattso Raven to get visions.

Jim the Raven = Jim Crow, a racially charged cartoon character from America's past. References policies made in the South specifically targeting African-Americans.

Cicciograna
2019-05-22, 12:54 PM
That's So Raven was a TV show on Disney about a teenage girl who could get visions of the future. Teenage girl tries to thwart visions, hilarity ensues. Thus, why my players would ask for Thattso Raven to get visions.

Jim the Raven = Jim Crow, a racially charged cartoon character from America's past. References policies made in the South specifically targeting African-Americans.

Thanks. Being a non-American it would have been almost impossible for me to get those two references.

The "Thatsso" one made me chuckle more than it would be sane to admit.

Misterwhisper
2019-05-22, 02:49 PM
“I was the first person there but not a single worm to be found. Those people were liars.”

Aspheric
2019-05-23, 05:44 PM
First, this is a cool idea, and I really hope it works well! I don't have much in the way of actual suggestions, though I would point out that ravens are not predatory birds like owls, falcons, or eagles, but they are scavengers and omnivorous opportunists. They do hunt small prey (mice, fledgling birds, and the like), but are just as happy with

Ravens have the reputation for mischief, so it might be interesting to change the raven's responses depending on the result your party gets in communing with it. So if the party asks "Is the way ahead guarded?" A successful roll might be "Footsteps and voices. Watching eyes, and sharp metal glints." A less successful roll instead might be "The trees rustle. Little steps, big steps, paws or feet, hmm..." A failed roll could be met with silence, or a complete tangent. "Dark and wonderful night! Now, those red berries... where were they?" If you really want to get into the ravenness of it, you could have some failed rolls result in the raven mimicking their voice. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFXU7o0fYII) Of course, this assumes your players are into it. I would only put as much thought into this as your players do, since there's no point coming up with a lot of cool lines if your players never ask the raven questions.

Finback
2019-05-23, 08:41 PM
"Somewhere deep below, the heart of the world pulses..."

"What did your raven see?"
"Iunno, all he's saying is CAW CAW."

*t-dum tisss*

Ventruenox
2019-05-23, 09:02 PM
"The law of gravity isn't as indiscriminate as people often think." WOB to Arthur Dent, HG2tG: The Original Radio Scripts