PDA

View Full Version : needing help with choosing spells

Mr White
2007-10-05, 03:32 AM
This is actually an icewind dale II game I’m playing but as my question is about the tactical side and the game uses the 3e edition DnD rules. I thought I’d post it on this forum.

I control a party of six containing a fighter, a barbarian, a rogue, a bard, a cleric and a sorceress. The problem I’ve encountered is that none of my spell casters can learn spells. I got some flexibility with my cleric but with my bard and sorceress I have to choose some spells and I’m than stuck with them.

This is my first time with an RPG that follows DnD so closely. So I’m not entirely sure which spells I should take and which are not worth to bother with. And as I can’t really test them (or a certain combination) out before I make my choice …

These are the spells my party uses:

Bard (7th level): charm person, grease, chromatic orb, identify mirror image (the one with the multiple images), cure moderate wounds, cat’s grace, confusion, sphere of protect from evil (what creatures are this exactly?)

Sorceress (5th level): magic missile, sleep, colour spray, burning hands, scorching ray, snow ball (or something like that affecting an area with cold damage)
+
Fearie fire (special ability)

Cleric (6th level): bless, doom, cure light wounds, summon monster II, chant, dispel magic, bull’s strength, summon undead.
+
(domain spells)) protection from environment (protection from heat and cold), aid, cure serious wounds
+
Turn undead, finger of pain (special ability)

What spells, or effects should I be looking for to be able to face most threats? Should I change my cleric spells?

Thanks in advance.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-05, 03:37 AM
You can look up the spell effects on this site: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm

Mr White
2007-10-05, 04:31 AM
You can look up the spell effects on this site: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm

I'm actually more looking for advice on which spells to take and maybe some combinations between the cleric, bard sorceress so that they form a resilient casting team.

TheSteelRat
2007-10-05, 05:41 AM
I'm actually more looking for advice on which spells to take and maybe some combinations between the cleric, bard sorceress so that they form a resilient casting team.

Well, they each need a role, since you've got a bit of variety, you can afford for each of them to specialize. I'm not familiar with 3.0's rules, since I started D&D with a bunch of 3.5 players basically.

What level are these characters, by the way?

For the Sorcerer, check out the "Batman" guide - http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19085. I'd focus on Battlefield Control and "Save or Lose/Suck." Don't miss out on vital transport utility spells though (dimension door, teleport, fly, etc.)

For the Bard, I don't know much of the Bard spells, but many of them probably reappear in the Sorcerer's guide above, so they're good to take if the Sorcerer doesn't have them. Remember that you can switch spells at higher level if necessary. Check out this link too: http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-140225

For the ClericZilla, just focus on buffing.

Mr White
2007-10-05, 09:32 AM
I'm really new at this, so I'm learning as I go along.

Are there some more universal priciples regarding spells? For instance: my sorceress seems to have a majority of fire spells, should I actively try to pick spells in order to have all kinds of damage in my repertoire or doesn't it matter as long as I have some spells that do other kinds of damage?

TheSteelRat
2007-10-05, 09:55 AM
You do want to diversify your damage type typically. Different creatures have different resistances or vulnerabilities. It's not just energy type though. Using only Mind Affecting abilities gives you problem against Undead & Constructs, for example. Diversification allows you to take out a larger number of foes. For Sorcerers, the Energy Substitution feat also helps, so your Scorching Ray can become an Acid Ray.

kamikasei
2007-10-05, 10:19 AM
Try to diversify in save types, too. Many spells have a save that can reduce or negate the damage, or some other useful effect, that they deal. Fireball, for example, is a Reflex save for half, so it's a bad idea to throw one at enemies with good Reflex saves. Better to use something with a Fortitude save, for example. As with energy types, try to have a selection so you can use what the situation calls for - Will on a Fighter, Reflex or Fortitude on a Wizard, and so on.

Solo
2007-10-05, 10:28 AM
All you need as a sorcerer is one good Fort. save or X, Ref. save or X, and Will save or X in botht he single tartet and crowd control categories, and the metamagic feat Heighten Spell.

So I hear.

Chronos
2007-10-05, 07:12 PM
With a fighter, a barbarian, and a rogue, you've already got three characters good at doing damage. The most effective use of your spellcasters will be to do things the non-casters can't do, which means you probably shouldn't bother with damage spells at all (or maybe just take one or two damage spells, if they're good ones).