PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Conflicting Transmutations

SpikeFightwicky
2019-05-22, 09:52 AM
Howdy folks,

I have a question:
What happens when a polymorphed creature (transformed via Animal Shapes) gets targeted by Polymorph. Does the new spell override the old one? Does the creature revert to the Animal Shapes form if his Polymorph form is killed? Does Animal Shapes override it because it's a higher level spell?

Context:
An archdruid (desert biome) cast wild shape on some converts (from a barbarian tribe) to change them into giant scorpions, which were sent after the PCs who (unbeknownst to them... though they did scoff when they were informed that the ruins were cursed) were desecrating an ancient place of significance to the local populace to find the entrance to a ruined temple. Polymorph was cast, making one of the scorpions a sloth, and another scorpion, savvy in the ways of shape changing, went over and attacked it. Not sure whether Animal Shapes was still active, I spot ruled that the sloth turned back into a scorpion (last in, first out). Fortunately, the part was so confused when the scorpions turned into angry barbarians on death, they didn't think to question what was going on. I'm looking for any official ruling if it happens again, though.

nickl_2000
2019-05-22, 09:58 AM
So the official word I remember hearing from JC on one of the dragontalk podcasts is

Spell 1 Animal Shapes
Spell 2 Polymorph

At this point spell 1 and 2 are both active (since they are not the same spell). However, polymorph is more recent and therefore currently is taking precedence.
PC smacks creature knocking them out of Polymorph. Now spell 2 has ended, but spell 1 is still active putting them back into the form from spell 1.

SpikeFightwicky
2019-05-22, 10:41 AM
Oh cool! Thanks for the information :smallsmile:

All is well from a rules perspective.