PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with making adventure characters

Deadfire182
2019-05-22, 09:59 AM
So, I've decided to run The "Cult of the Gol'Goroth" (By Nerzugal; go check out his stuff on DM's Guild, it's really great) adventure for some friends soon. We are doing it as a one shot at level 5, and since they are still fairly new at D&D, it had fallen on me to make them some characters.

This is to be a party of four, and I want some semblance of balance between the classes, so I decided to make a Tabaxi Way of the Shadow Monk. My friend is making his own character, which he has told me is a Dex-based fighter. What characters should I give to the other players to run the adventure (I was thinking Druid and Paladin)? Are there any unique builds that might suit this horror themed adventure?

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-22, 10:26 AM
So you have a mobile puncher and a Dexterity Fighter. With the Dexterity Fighter, they're a bit of a wildcard, but I'll assume they're going for versatility over specialization (at least, I hope so), so that you effectively are getting both a melee and a ranged character.

To add to the horror theme, to support the missing niches in the team, and to synergize with everything, I'd recommend an Ancestral Guardian Barbarian and a Divine Soul Sorcerer.

The Ancestral Guardian will really help nullify boss monsters by kiting behind his allies. Give him Mobile, throwing weapons, or a ranged weapon, and he'll do great. With his AG taunt effect, he effectively makes everyone but him TANKIER than him. That way, you or the Dex Fighter can afford to keep a solid melee line when dealing with bosses. The option for Strength might be relevant, and the ghosts do well to fit with the theme. Ancestral Guardians do well when their party is able to take hits on their behalf, and, thankfully, 2/3 of the rest of the team is capable of doing just that.

The Divine Soul Sorcerer is there as support and charisma checks (when they're necessary). Few support as well as a Divine Soul, but they're extremely squishy. They need a solid melee line to make sure that they can sustain those amazing Concentration spells of theirs. Thankfully, the expected team has 3 martial characters to aid with just that. Plot-wise, they're on a mission from their God to cleanse the evil from this place, which fits nicely.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-05-22, 11:48 AM
So, I've decided to run The "Cult of the Gol'Goroth" (By Nerzugal; go check out his stuff on DM's Guild, it's really great) adventure for some friends soon. We are doing it as a one shot at level 5, and since they are still fairly new at D&D, it had fallen on me to make them some characters.

This is to be a party of four, and I want some semblance of balance between the classes, so I decided to make a Tabaxi Way of the Shadow Monk. My friend is making his own character, which he has told me is a Dex-based fighter. What characters should I give to the other players to run the adventure (I was thinking Druid and Paladin)? Are there any unique builds that might suit this horror themed adventure?

Scroll down on here I found some pretty decent pregens I can just hand to ppl. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets

I think level 5 is a VERY fun time to be playing but it might be kinda confusing for first timers.

What do the other players like? I'd probably show up with four, at least one being a Cleric.

Deadfire182
2019-05-22, 12:02 PM
So you have a mobile puncher and a Dexterity Fighter. With the Dexterity Fighter, they're a bit of a wildcard, but I'll assume they're going for versatility over specialization (at least, I hope so), so that you effectively are getting both a melee and a ranged character.

To add to the horror theme, to support the missing niches in the team, and to synergize with everything, I'd recommend an Ancestral Guardian Barbarian and a Divine Soul Sorcerer.

The Ancestral Guardian will really help nullify boss monsters by kiting behind his allies. Give him Mobile, throwing weapons, or a ranged weapon, and he'll do great. With his AG taunt effect, he effectively makes everyone but him TANKIER than him. That way, you or the Dex Fighter can afford to keep a solid melee line when dealing with bosses. The option for Strength might be relevant, and the ghosts do well to fit with the theme. Ancestral Guardians do well when their party is able to take hits on their behalf, and, thankfully, 2/3 of the rest of the team is capable of doing just that.

The Divine Soul Sorcerer is there as support and charisma checks (when they're necessary). Few support as well as a Divine Soul, but they're extremely squishy. They need a solid melee line to make sure that they can sustain those amazing Concentration spells of theirs. Thankfully, the expected team has 3 martial characters to aid with just that. Plot-wise, they're on a mission from their God to cleanse the evil from this place, which fits nicely.

These are all really good ideas, and I like the implantation. I'll make the barbarian as a kobold with a Red Dragon ancestor