PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Is a Battlesmith Artificer currently the best non-fighter for weapon use?

Citadel97501
2019-05-22, 01:58 PM
Hello all, I was just wondering but it seems that currently a Battlesmith seems to be one of the best options for a lot of weapon builds, or am I missing something? This is also only factoring in single classes, as I am quite sure your damage would jump if adding a couple levels of another class such as Eldritch Knight.

My reasoning is that it seems to hit all the bases, SAD possibly with the ability to get some cheap stat boosts with infusions at 12+, has a pet/mount for mobility, solid DPR with Arcane Weapon + Repeating shot, solid AC/Saves? I am not factoring in accuracy to average damage.

Great Options with a Headband of Intellect
Polearm Mastery with a shield & Returning spear is a solid design element for this character.
-3 attacks a +9 to hit 2d6 +5 x 2, 1d4 + 1d6 + 5 = 35

Sharpshooter with Repeating Shot Bow, with Arcane Weapon & Bracers of Archery?
-2 attacks at +6 to hit for 50 average damage.
-2 attacks at +11 to hit for 30 damage.

Sharpshooter with Repeating Shot Hand Crossbow with Shield, Arcane Weapon?
-3 attacks at +4 to hit with 66 damage.
-3 attacks at +9 to hit with 36 damage.

Sharpshooter with Repeating Shot Heavy Crossbow, Arcane Weapon?
-2 attacks at +4 to hit with 48 damage.
2 attacks at +9 to hit with 24 damage.

CheddarChampion
2019-05-22, 02:28 PM
Is it the best for being able to use almost any weapon/versatility in weapon choice?
It's high on the list, more than that is hard to say.

For having a character that is powerful at using weapons?
Nah - I don't see how this outpaces a paladin's auras and smiting and a barbarians resilience and a monk's mobility and a ranger's few tricks.

Rukelnikov
2019-05-22, 03:49 PM
Well it depends a lot on your definition of weapon use, is it the best non-fighter with a bow? I seriously doubt so, Gloomstalker or Hexblade likely do better. Is it the best for polearms in general? Vengadin sounds far more damaging. Is it the best for throwing weapons? Very likely, even better than the fighter.

Wildarm
2019-05-23, 10:34 AM
Battle Smith Archer is pretty solid. I do like the option to start with a single fighter level to grab heavy armor prof, +2HP, 2nd wind and archery fighting style. That's a lot of good stuff for losing a single level of your main class progression. You can also kinda ignore intelligence with the plan of making up for it at level 13.

V Human - Sharpshooter starting Feat
Fighter 1/Battle Smith X
Archery FS
16 Dex/16 Con/13 Int/12Wis/8 Str/8 Cha
ASI into Dex at Level 5/9
+1 Repeating Hand Crossbow, Plate+1 and Shield = 21 AC
+1 Repulsion Shield @ Level 9 = 22AC
+2 Plate @ Level 13 = 23 AC

Overall very solid defense and you can comfortably let someone try and hit your AC for a while. Wear Plate and take the movement penalty. You're and your Iron Guardian are a walking wall of metal. Laugh as your IG gives disadvantage vs 21 AC.

Fix up your Intelligence at level 13 with a headband and you'll end up with all your intelligence based abilities and spells available again, not that you really need them. You're taking the Battle Smith pretty much for the Iron Guardian who is fantastic. Reaction defense for you, a nearly free to heal damage sink for the team and a source of bonus action attacks so it remains a threat.

Citadel97501
2019-05-23, 05:05 PM
Very good idea on the extreme armor & pounce, definitely pushes the idea of a mounted ID even higher up in my estimation. As that will let you keep its defensive pounce going and provide some more damage at level 14. Although unfortunately fighting style: Archery doesn't provide a bonus to spears or javelins though according to Jeremy (one of his more annoying decisions). Although Dueling still works for some bonus damage or maybe just shove AC up another point.

Rider of the Iron Pony
14 level Mounted Battlesmith Gnome with 1 level of fighter. (20 intelligence instead of Headband of Intellect)
Offense
Infused throwing Spear with Polearm Mastery & Dueling (hopefully gets your DM to not kick you in the junk, for the extreme AC.)
-3 attacks a +13 to hit 2d6 +8 x 2, 1d4 + 1d6 + 8 = 44
-ID's Reaction for 7.5 auto hit
-Opportunity Attack: +13 to hit, 2d6+8.
-Average of 68.5 in melee.

Defense
23 armor class (+2 Plate & +2 Shield, since you can make them for 1/2 cost this should be expected.)
-Infusion for Gauntlets of Ogre Strength deals with armor weight, or just wear a breastplate as its cheaper on stats/weight.
-Mounted Combatant to force attacks to redirect to you, letting you trigger Defensive Pounce.

Mounted on Iron Defender.
-Pounce: Disadvantage against you for a single melee target is likely.

Speed
40', you may even be able to convince your DM to let you put one of the magical horseshoes on it :)