PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making inkarnate maps from square grid map

whiplashomega
2019-05-22, 03:03 PM
So I've been working on my homebrew setting for a VERY long time. I've run 4 campaigns in it and the world map has gone through a couple iterations. The most recent one I actually built out a google-maps-style (technically Leaflet javascript library) browseable map. To do so I blew up the map and then cut it into square chunks at various sizes. My most recent plan to improve the map is to use Inkarnate to reproduce these squares with high quality assets rather than a cut-up hand drawn map that should allow me to edit individual squares when I fill out an area with new stuff (I typically don't fill out a particular area of the map until I need to, at least outside of major cities and big important landmarks). Digitally editing the hand-drawn version means I don't have a consistent look for my map.

Anyway the issue I have is inkarnate's default map size, specifically that rather than being square it is the totally-reasonable-for-any-other-purpose 1024 x 768. Does anyone know of a way to get a square map size in Inkarnate? I don't need big, probably 740 x 740 or something close enough that I can easily resize in something like GIMP without noticeable stretching or squeezing.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-22, 04:12 PM
Not at all familiar with Inkarnate, but couldn't you just add whitespace to the sides of the Inkarnate map and then crop it out in Gimp?

whiplashomega
2019-05-23, 08:20 AM
Not at all familiar with Inkarnate, but couldn't you just add whitespace to the sides of the Inkarnate map and then crop it out in Gimp?

The default background in Inkarnate is water, but that doesn't necessarily negate your idea. It would be a lot of work to crop out that extra white space on 256 (16 x 16) images though.

allthingslich
2019-05-23, 08:42 AM
send whatever you have done to my username at gmail.com and give me instructions as to what you'd like to have happen, and I'll make the changes. I'm pretty damn savvy with photoshop and such.