PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying What have your hermits discovered?

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-22, 03:39 PM
I did this thread 2 years ago.

What discoveries have you, the DM, given your hermit backgrounds?

What discoveries have you, the player, gotten as part of your hermit background?

Last time out, I got this:
-The location of a buried Mind Flayer starship from Spelljammer. Millennia old.
-Though they're no longer in the campaign, my group's hermit discovered an ancient dragon deep in the forest... in a world where no dragons older than adult have been seen in decades
- Location of wellspring of Holy water
- Mead of Poetry receipt
- Name and location of ancient wise dragon
- Means to travel 10,000 years into the future
- The place where the root of Yggdrassil emerges at the surface
- That there is a constant power struggle between Moon and Land druid circles
- The when and where the new messiah is born
- That the head of holy order is actually a Bronze Dragon in disguise
- What actually happened in Forgotten Realms during the Dawn Cataclysm
- How to train your dragon
- Theory of solipsism
-That there existed something on the other side of the cellar door after all.
-location of stable portal to sigil
-a magic ritual to permanently seal away magic from a place, item, or even person
-secret alchemical beer recipes that can get anyone; even a God; drunk for all eternity
-A method for unlocking, or closing, the way to the Far Realm performable only from the deepest Ocean depths
-secret, often dangerous, routes through the fey realms and shadow plane that connect wild places through the world
-that one star in the sky is really a crystal sphere containing a whole other inhabited plane
-Mine discovered an heretofore unknown herb which cures blindness and causes hunger.
-That Ramses, the famed golden luchador who took over the Orc monastery where my character was trained, is actually a Dragonborn
-discovered by accident the process for creating dragonsteel
-What happens if you take both the blue and red pill at the same time
-How to extract piumo from the buds of the piumo poppies

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-22, 04:28 PM
That the moon is actually an artificial prism, yearning to be destroyed. Plot Twist: The world is also artificial, and the Moon is a manufactured shardmind creation that keeps the world's artificial weather system in check.
That the entire world was built over the top of a technologically advanced one. Drow and Dwarves in the Underdark are aware of this, but they keep this information very secret.
The secret of gnomish technology. It uses the same source as bardic magic as a form of short-lived, unstable energy. But where Bards can use it to bend luck, gnomish technology turns it into unbridled chaos, which is why gnomish technology never makes much sense and can't really be taught.
That the hostility of orcs comes from their divine connection to their deity, and that connection can be severed.

Tetrasodium
2019-05-22, 05:04 PM
"I know how Ravenloft itself works thanks to The Six & will use that knowledge to restore them their rightful due here" <-- Grave Ceric replacement character in a game midway.

Sigreid
2019-05-22, 05:40 PM
Secret pathways between planes that though risky can allow people to visit other planes even if they don't have the magic to make the trip.

8wGremlin
2019-05-22, 05:43 PM
A form of blade singing that is teachable to anyone

GM_3826
2019-05-22, 05:46 PM
Secret pathways between planes that though risky can allow people to visit other planes even if they don't have the magic to make the trip.

So your character discovered planar portals? Cool.

Sigreid
2019-05-22, 05:48 PM
So your character discovered planar portals? Cool.

Yep, basically.

Segev
2019-05-23, 12:26 AM
That Ubtao and Mystral were lovers, and she was pregnant with their child who died with her at Karsus’s Folly.

Lord Vukodlak
2019-05-23, 02:24 AM
It was not five heroes who killed the dread Cthulhu and stopped the summoning of Azathoth, but six. The Gods erased the peoples memory of the sixth hero.

KyleG
2019-05-23, 02:50 AM
Lord Vukodlak is that signature an Oathbringer reference?

Lord Vukodlak
2019-05-23, 03:16 AM
Lord Vukodlak is that signature an Oathbringer reference?

Its several references actually, Stargate, South Park, Magnum PI, The Song "Dust in The Wind", "Vampire the Masqurade", "Death of Wolverine: Deadpool & Captain America Vol 1" and probably things I myself have forgotten. I've never read Oathbringer so its not among them. Mainly its a reference to Monty Python's "This Parrot is no more" sketch.

Back when Nale died several people... weren't initially accepting he was dead for good despite the great lengths Rich went to demonstrate he was dead for good.

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-23, 08:05 AM
Its several references actually, Stargate, South Park, Magnum PI, The Song "Dust in The Wind", "Vampire the Masqurade", "Death of Wolverine: Deadpool & Captain America Vol 1" and probably things I myself have forgotten. I've never read Oathbringer so its not among them. Mainly its a reference to Monty Python's "This Parrot is no more" sketch.

Back when Nale died several people... weren't initially accepting he was dead for good despite the great lengths Rich went to demonstrate he was dead for good.

Perhaps you could mix in "...dead as a door. Nale..."

Chronos
2019-05-23, 03:14 PM
My GOOlock was a hermit. The secret he discovered was his patron's existence (and imminent arrival in the planes of reality, there to destroy all conscious thought).

Anderlith
2019-05-23, 04:31 PM
My hermit learned that the bloodline of the king was connected to aboleth machinations