PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Question regarding Natural weapons, Magic Fang, and the Necklace of Natural Weapons

TheGreatMars
2019-05-22, 07:26 PM
So, I just wrote up an Anthropomorphic Giant Squid using the rules in Savage Species, he has 8 tentacle natural attacks.
I had a question regarding some equipment I'm purchasing for him. First off, I'm paying for Greater Magic Fang and Permanency to be cast on him. Would that apply to all of his Tentacle attacks since they're a set (When the Giant Squid attacks with them they appear to all be it's primary attack), or do they each need to be enchanted individually?

Also, I'm grabbing a Necklace of Natural Weapons(Savage Species):
"The enhancement bonuses on this necklace are applied to attack and damage rolls involving one or more of the wearer’s natural weapons. In addition, any weapon special quality may be applied to this necklace, and the quality then applies to those natural weapons as well. For instance, a +1 throwing returning necklace of natural weapons would apply its enhancement bonus and the throwing and returning special abilities to one or more of the wearer’s natural weapons. Caster Level: 3rd; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Market Price: 600 gp, plus the cost of the enhancement bonuses, multiplied by the number of natural weapons affected. A +1 necklace of natural weapons that affects one natural weapon costs 2,600 gp; if the same necklace affects six natural weapons, it costs 15,600 gp."

If I wanted to get this amulet at +3 and have it apply to all my tentacles, would I be paying 18600gp or would I be paying 148800gp to have it apply to each individual tentacle?

RaiKirah
2019-05-23, 03:42 PM
Greater Magic Fang would need to be applied to each tentacle. Likewise with the necklace you pay for each natural weapon. This is one of the situations that an Amulet of Mighty Fists is actually economical (cost balances at three natural weapons), though of course it doesn't come with the option of weapon enchantments.

Bronk
2019-05-23, 03:51 PM
So, I just wrote up an Anthropomorphic Giant Squid using the rules in Savage Species, he has 8 tentacle natural attacks.
I had a question regarding some equipment I'm purchasing for him. First off, I'm paying for Greater Magic Fang and Permanency to be cast on him. Would that apply to all of his Tentacle attacks since they're a set (When the Giant Squid attacks with them they appear to all be it's primary attack), or do they each need to be enchanted individually?

Also, I'm grabbing a Necklace of Natural Weapons(Savage Species):
"The enhancement bonuses on this necklace are applied to attack and damage rolls involving one or more of the wearer’s natural weapons. In addition, any weapon special quality may be applied to this necklace, and the quality then applies to those natural weapons as well. For instance, a +1 throwing returning necklace of natural weapons would apply its enhancement bonus and the throwing and returning special abilities to one or more of the wearer’s natural weapons. Caster Level: 3rd; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Market Price: 600 gp, plus the cost of the enhancement bonuses, multiplied by the number of natural weapons affected. A +1 necklace of natural weapons that affects one natural weapon costs 2,600 gp; if the same necklace affects six natural weapons, it costs 15,600 gp."

If I wanted to get this amulet at +3 and have it apply to all my tentacles, would I be paying 18600gp or would I be paying 148800gp to have it apply to each individual tentacle?

I run it as one enchantment affecting all instances of one weapon type, based on the precedent set by the Improved Natural Attack feat, which equates natural weapons, natural attacks, and natural attack forms.

Benefit
Choose one of the creature’s natural attack forms. The damage for this natural weapon increases by one step, as if the creature’s size had increased by one category.

Special
You can take this feat multiple times, but each time it applies to a different natural attack.

RaiKirah
2019-05-23, 05:38 PM
I run it as one enchantment affecting all instances of one weapon type, based on the precedent set by the Improved Natural Attack feat, which equates natural weapons, natural attacks, and natural attack forms.

Improved Natural Attack specifies 'natural attack form' as the target, whereas the necklace applies to each natural weapon (note that claws are always called out as a pair of natural weapons, and Rapidstrike works similarly).

It's a perfectly reasonable house rule, but it would be a house rule. Otherwise a +10 equivalent necklace would enchant all 8 tentacles for 200K, saving you 1400K of weapon enchantments.

Bronk
2019-05-23, 07:56 PM
Greater Magic Fang would need to be applied to each tentacle. Likewise with the necklace you pay for each natural weapon. This is one of the situations that an Amulet of Mighty Fists is actually economical (cost balances at three natural weapons), though of course it doesn't come with the option of weapon enchantments.

You're thinking of regular Magic Fang, which has it's own particular wording. Greater Magic Fang does apply to all attack forms.

Improved Natural Attack specifies 'natural attack form' as the target, whereas the necklace applies to each natural weapon (note that claws are always called out as a pair of natural weapons, and Rapidstrike works similarly).

You have to read the entire feat, not just the first sentence.

It's a perfectly reasonable house rule, but it would be a house rule. Otherwise a +10 equivalent necklace would enchant all 8 tentacles for 200K, saving you 1400K of weapon enchantments.

It is indeed a nice magic item, and the Amulet of Might Fists would work similarly, just without additional weapon enhancements, and for all natural attack forms. As for it being a house rule...I don't think so, because it's a solid interpretation that I can back up. 3.5 is badly worded, and this is one of those things that benefits from that.

RaiKirah
2019-05-23, 10:17 PM
You're thinking of regular Magic Fang, which has it's own particular wording. Greater Magic Fang does apply to all attack forms.

I think we're probably going to have to disagree about the item, but Greater Magic Fang either gives a single natural weapon +1/4CL Enhancement Bonus (like the lesser spell targets a single natural weapon), or it gives all natural weapons a +1 Enhancement Bonus, but not both.

Bronk
2019-05-24, 09:46 AM
I think we're probably going to have to disagree about the item, but Greater Magic Fang either gives a single natural weapon +1/4CL Enhancement Bonus (like the lesser spell targets a single natural weapon), or it gives all natural weapons a +1 Enhancement Bonus, but not both.

I do know about that. I agree, we're disagreeing about the item, and I want to than you for a nice discussion!

For the OP, you're going to need to ask your DM about this, and be prepared to just use the Amulet of Mighty Fists instead.