PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Names and Backstories for Good Planars?

Cheesegear
2019-05-23, 04:19 AM
So the Demon Lords and Lords of the Nine Hells are pretty well defined, with names, hierarchy and feuds all written up fairly nicely.

What's the comparison for the Good Planar creatures? I can't seem to find much.
Is that 'cause there's not much to find?

Constructman
2019-05-23, 04:33 AM
Not 5e, but from older lore, you have the Hebdomad, seven Archons who rule the layers of Mount Celestia; and Queen Morwel, an Eladrin who rules a demiplane in Arborea called the Court of Stars.

EDIT: there is also Talisid and the Five Companions, six Guardinals who adventure in the plane of Elysium. The Hebdomad, the Companions, and Morwel and her two consorts are collectively known as the Celestial Paragons, the Celestial equivalents to Archdevils and Demon Lords.

Pronounceable
2019-05-23, 04:40 AM
not much to find
DnD has always been too goddamn focused on Abyss and Hells. But if you look real long and hard in old Planescape stuff, you're still not gonna find jack **** about even other low places. A few names like Hebdomad or Talisid is all you're ever gonna get out of "official DnD lore" about upper planars.

Cheesegear
2019-05-23, 08:26 PM
Not 5e, but from older lore, you have the Hebdomad, seven Archons who rule the layers of Mount Celestia; and Queen Morwel, an Eladrin who rules a demiplane in Arborea called the Court of Stars.

EDIT: there is also Talisid and the Five Companions, six Guardinals who adventure in the plane of Elysium. The Hebdomad, the Companions, and Morwel and her two consorts are collectively known as the Celestial Paragons, the Celestial equivalents to Archdevils and Demon Lords.

That's pretty helpful. At least, it's a start. Thanks.

I'm more looking for named Solars or similar tier. But that's still good.

DnD has always been too goddamn focused on Abyss and Hells. But if you look real long and hard in old Planescape stuff...

The only thing I have is the 3.5 Planar Handbook...Which tells me nothing.

Brookshw
2019-05-23, 09:06 PM
So the Demon Lords and Lords of the Nine Hells are pretty well defined, with names, hierarchy and feuds all written up fairly nicely.

What's the comparison for the Good Planar creatures? I can't seem to find much.
Is that 'cause there's not much to find?

Depends how far back you want to go. Warriors of Heaven and On Hallowed Ground would be good starting points.

In addition to those named earlier, and depending on what you want to use them for there's also:
The Celestial Tribunal
Proxies
Ellacarzel, Lady of the Clouds
Melevon, the Winged Advisor
The Tulani
The Animal Lords (might not be what you're looking for)

Here's a link (https://d20npcs.fandom.com/wiki/D%26D_Named_Celestial_Project) to an outdated list of all named Celestials, including some Solars (it's missing some, the Solar in the Worlds Largest Dungeon off hand).

Naanomi
2019-05-23, 10:19 PM
Book of Exalted deeds has a decent Upper-Planes casting call (but the book in general is not great)

Cheesegear
2019-05-24, 01:08 AM
Here's a link (https://d20npcs.fandom.com/wiki/D%26D_Named_Celestial_Project) to an outdated list of all named Celestials, including some Solars (it's missing some, the Solar in the Worlds Largest Dungeon off hand).

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
...I'm hoping looking at the sources reveals plot hooks. :smallwink:

Time to track down Book of Exalted Deeds.

Brookshw
2019-05-24, 07:44 AM
That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
...I'm hoping looking at the sources reveals plot hooks. :smallwink:

Happy hunting! 2e was usually good for dangling plot hooks. If you're having a hard time locating any of the older sources give me a shout, I still have a number of them kicking around and don't mind pulling up details.