PDA

View Full Version : What's this group need? (Backup PC help)

jaappleton
2019-05-23, 10:39 AM
Sooooo. Here we are again.

Curse of Strahd is effin' DEADLY, folks. I've had 3 characters die so far, and we're only 4th level. Considering how deadly its been, I like to have a backup ready. I've died 15 minutes into a session, and having nothing to do for the rest of the time really sucks.

So, what's the group need, should I die?

Half Orc Totem Barbarian (Bear) - Me
Dwarf Berserker Barbarian
Warforged Dreams Druid
Xbow Sharpshooting VHuman Fighter
Changeling Divine Soul Sorc
Warforged Devotion Paladin

Now, some of those characters already have backups. But who the heck knows who will die first? Here's their backups:

XBow Fighter --> War Cleric
Divine Soul Sorc --> Scout Rogue
Dreams Druid --> Storm Sorc

Now, all that said... Should my Totem Barbarian die, what does the group need?

I don't think anyone would complain about multiple Clerics in the same party, so Cleric seems like a solid bet. Bard is a very solid option as well, from the looks of things. Another Paladin might not be too bad, as well, any Radiant damage dealer could be useful.

But I'm here for opinions.

NOTE: All UA is available (but must use the latest version), Matt Mercer's classes / archetypes, as well as Plane Shift articles (like Amonkhet, which has lots of Cleric domains here beginning on page 24: https://media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/plane-shift_amonkhet.pdf ) and even Mike Mearls's homebrew Cleric domains of Darkness and Destruction, which you can see here: https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1015753942263664640

Ventruenox
2019-05-23, 02:07 PM
I could see you enjoying a Hawk-headed Aven Sun Soul Monk.

Possibly a Kor Ghost Slayer Blood Hunter.

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-23, 02:27 PM
I'm actually curious how your DM is handling character death.

I take it they are NOT using the AL rules or you have no means for resurrection. I find the AL rules thoroughly intriguing. I also have liked the concept of the dead making a deal with the same dark powers that 'made' Strahd.

jaappleton
2019-05-23, 02:59 PM
I'm actually curious how your DM is handling character death.

I take it they are NOT using the AL rules or you have no means for resurrection. I find the AL rules thoroughly intriguing. I also have liked the concept of the dead making a deal with the same dark powers that 'made' Strahd.

Here's what's happened so far:

Putting it in spoilers because CoS is a published adventure.

First death: I blocked the doorway in the coffin maker's house as 5 vampire spawn chomped me to death. The rest of the party barricaded the house from the outside and burned it down. Not much to resurrect there.

Second death: As a Volo's Eladrin, I could cause an ally to Fey Step instead of me. So when a party member slipped and started falling 400ft (And NOBODY had Feather Fall), I dove after them and grabbed them, and had them teleport. I then had to make a Dex Save to catch myself, or fall to my doom. Rolled a 1. And while we all agree that 'MAGIC!', when I take enough damage to instantly kill me... It is what it is.

Third death: Baba Lysaga was killed due to some tricks I pulled as the controversial Lore Wizard, but her tree beat me and a few others to death and we're only level 4. And the surviving party members are in no rush to head back to that tree. :smallbiggrin: Three party members died that fight, including myself, so we're off to do some other stuff in Barovia before circling back to deal with that.

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-23, 03:42 PM
Here's what's happened so far:

Putting it in spoilers because CoS is a published adventure.

Every one of those death coulda resulted in the dark powers reforming you. Especially the last two.

The dark powers rez thing is and AL thing. It has worked for me as a DM in non-AL settings. I leave it up to the player if they want a new char or not, and if not, I given them two randomly selected choices, one from Dark Powers are Watching (d10 roll), other from Dark Powers are Listening (d6 roll).

The return of the recently dead with a new uncanny ability provides excellent RP opportunities.

Invite your DM to look it up. If they can't find it, PM me and I will reply with Google drive link with the files in it.

Your DM screwed up by letting you into Vallaki below level 4, and screwed waaaay up letting you go to Berez before level 8! Invite them to look at p.6 of CoS. It's all there. Unless they don't care.

jaappleton
2019-05-23, 05:44 PM
Every one of those death coulda resulted in the dark powers reforming you. Especially the last two.

The dark powers rez thing is and AL thing. It has worked for me as a DM in non-AL settings. I leave it up to the player if they want a new char or not, and if not, I given them two randomly selected choices, one from Dark Powers are Watching (d10 roll), other from Dark Powers are Listening (d6 roll).

The return of the recently dead with a new uncanny ability provides excellent RP opportunities.

Invite your DM to look it up. If they can't find it, PM me and I will reply with Google drive link with the files in it.

Your DM screwed up by letting you into Vallaki below level 4, and screwed waaaay up letting you go to Berez before level 8! Invite them to look at p.6 of CoS. It's all there. Unless they don't care.

He cares but he’s letting us venture where we want. It is a fairly sandbox style adventure, and to be frank, we nearly did get past Berez.

The Dark Powers thing.... I don’t think he’s aware. It sounds like awesome stuff, but I don’t mind PC death. Just an opportunity to tell a new story.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-23, 10:44 PM
Broken-ass Lore Wizard or not, props on not party wiping in Berez; that's probably one of the two or three nastiest encounters in the module, even at the recommended level.

As for your character... I don't think it really matters. Nothing jumps out as lacking in your group. Pick a fun gimmick character since you'll probably be dead soon anyway? Or something obscure-- the Zeal Domain from Amonkhet is pretty damn strong and fun.

For the record, I'd say the other contenders are the Bonegrinder if you go there when you're first in the area, the Druid ambush on Yester Hill, and that one friggin bit of the Amber Temple where an Arcanaloth and like six Flameskulls rain Fireballs on you from behind strong cover.

8wGremlin
2019-05-23, 11:23 PM
I've played COS it's hard, especially if you're allowed to walk anywhere...

Suggestion: my standard arcana cleric.
Use my standard arcana cleric build.
Human variant, Standard Array: 16 Wis, 14 Dex, 14 Con.
14 Dex is all you need for medium armour and use a shield and the whole build keys of Wis for attacks.

Cleric - Arcane domain.
Pick up Chill touch and Booming Blade (BB) as your special cleric cantrips

Feats:
1 Magic Initiate Druid (Absorb elements, Shillelagh, Thornwhip)
4 Warcaster
8 +2 wis
12 +2 wis

at 3rd level get and start using Spiritual Weapon
at 5th level get and start using Spiritual Guardians, you can use Thornwhip to pull people back into the aura.
and you can use Warcaster to use booming blade on anyone trying to get away.
at 6th level you gain a great ability in that you can now remove spells on people when you heal them (upcasting cures works wonders, as does mass cures)
at 8th level you get to add you wis mod to your damage cleric cantrips, this now includes Chill touch, and Booming blade.

Chill touch does nice things with undead, the radiant damage from the spiritual guardians is awesome vs undead.
and the spiritual weapon lasts a minute with no concentration.