PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Multiple types of damage in a rite weapon

Zilen
2019-05-23, 11:56 AM
Hi everyone!
The situation is this: I´m playing a bloodhunter with rite of flame and when i tell my dm that iu want it to add poison to my weapon he ask me if i can do more than one type of damage at the same time.
I suppose i can, but just to be sure i prefer to ask here.

So can a weapon with a rite of flame cause poison damage if a poison is applied to the same weapon?

Thanks!! :D

JakOfAllTirades
2019-05-23, 12:37 PM
Rite weapons always do multiple damage types, by definition. Say you've got a short sword, and you're using Rite of the Flame. It's going to do 1d6 piercing damage, and 1d4 fire damage. Congratulations, you're doing two types of damage! There's no rule against adding a third. If you take the Profane Soul archetype at 3rd level and use the Hex spell, you're doing +1d6 necrotic as well. Multiclass into Bard, take College of Whispers and now you've got +2d6 psychic. Damage is damage; it all stacks regardless of its type.

Some DM's might rule that a flaming weapon would burn up any poison applied, either immediately or after one round. OTOH, the fire doesn't hurt the weapon itself, so why would it burn the poison? Magic is weird.

Man_Over_Game
2019-05-23, 12:40 PM
A weapon can, indeed, deal more than one damage type.

Divine Favor, for instance, adds radiant damage to all of your attacks, but the Trickery Cleric's Divine Strike feature deals Poison. Not only that, but you can go even further and use a magical Longsword that adds 1d4 Fire Damage. So you plausibly could be using a weapon that deals 1d4 Radiant damage, 1d8 Poison damage, 1d8 Slashing damage, and 1d4 Fire damage, all in the same attack.

With something like Sneak Attack, the assumption is that you choose one applicable damage type for your Sneak Attack dice to copy.

Some DM's might rule that a flaming weapon would burn up any poison applied, either immediately or after one round. OTOH, the fire doesn't hurt the weapon itself, so why would it burn the poison? Magic is weird.

Indeed. Lightning Bolt sets things on fire, but Flame Strike does not.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-05-23, 12:44 PM
Now get a Frostbrand so that you do piercing, fire, cold, and poison all at the same time!

Pick up two levels of paladin so you can add radiant on smites!

Three levels of hexblade pact of the blade and you can add force with eldritch smites!

Slay your enemies with the damage rainbow!

Witty Username
2019-05-23, 03:25 PM
"I united them, and in one moment absorbed their combined fighting power"-Mortal Kombat: Deception

But per the question, there is no rule I know of against it, as long as they are not the same effect.

Zilen
2019-05-23, 03:36 PM
Wow that was fast!

Thank you all for your answers!!

I tought initially that slashing and fire were already doing what i want it to, so i get a little bit confused by my dm when he ask me this, but i`m glad this is allowed :D

And even more, i tought about the fire damage nullifying the applied poison and now i dont have to worry about it as well! This is my lucky day jejejeje

So thank you all and thanks for the multiclassing ideas!!

Now get a Frostbrand so that you do piercing, fire, cold, and poison all at the same time!

O.O I`ll do it! I love magical swords jejejeje thanks!