PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next School of Galvimancy - Wizard subclass based on M:tG's Ral Zarek (PEACH)

Vogie
2019-05-23, 12:48 PM
As I'm reading the War of the Spark novel based on block of the same name, the Infinity-Wars-esque story cap in the Magic: the Gathering universe, I'm restarting my series of subclasses based on Planeswalkers.

Wizard Archetype - The School of Galvimancy

http://media.wizards.com/2015/images/daily/cardart_RalZarek.png

Brilliant, unpredictable, and daring, Galvimancers are always testing boundaries of elemental magic. Their bright, fearless skill made them natural at harnessing the chaotic power of lightning and storms. A blend of ingenuity and madness is required.

Storm Conduit (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=461138)
When you choose this school at 2nd level, you learn the Shocking Grasp cantrip. If you already know this cantrip, you learn a different wizard cantrip of your choice. The cantrip doesn't count against your number of cantrips known. For you, the range of Shocking Grasp is 10 feet, rather than touch.

Once per turn, if a creature takes lightning damage from your spell, that creature takes additional lightning damage equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Staticaster (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=253638)
Starting at 6th level, when you deal lightning damage to a creature using a spell of 1st level or higher, choose one of the following options

You can push that creature up to 10 feet away from you.
Up to two other creatures of your choice within 10 feet of you each take lightning damage equal to half your wizard level.
You can infuse a melee weapon within 10 feet of you. For one minute, when that weapon hits a creature with a weapon attack, you can use a reaction to cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 lightning damage to the target.

Caller of Storms (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=455605)
When you reach 10th level, you learn the Call Lightning spell. It counts as a wizard spell for you, and you always have it prepared, but it doesn't count against your spells prepared each day. While concentrating on Call Lightning, you gain a flying speed equal to your land speed as long as you stay within the radius of the summoned storm cloud.

Blast of Genius (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=456793)
Starting at 14th level, you can store magical energy within yourself, with a maximum number of power surges equal to your Intelligence modifier at the end of your last long rest. Whenever you finish a long rest, your power surges reset to zero. Whenever you roll the max value on two or more of your damage die in a single spell, you gain a power surge.

Your Intelligence score and maximum is increased by one for each power surge you have, to a maximum of 4
Once per turn when you deal damage to a creature or object with a wizard spell, you can spend one power surge to reroll a number of the damage dice up to your Intelligence modifier. You must use the new rolls.

Storm Conduit is based on the curse mechanic of the UA Sea Sorcerer is more elegant based on Nick's feedback.
Staticaster is a blend of the features of the Tempest Cleric & UA Pyromancer.
Caller of Storms is a nod to the fact that all but one most of the lightning-based spells are on the Wizard spell list (it's a druid spell). I added the ability that the Galvimancer can fly inside the storm of their creation, which is a pretty cool ribbon. The other two, Lightning Arrow and Storm of Devastation don't fit the concept.
Blast of Genius is a reworked and buffed version of the War Magic feature. The blast part is essentially the Empowered Spell metamagic, while the Genius is that it allows a wizard to temporarily have an intelligence of 24. You do have the ability to use the power surges to reroll the die... although the resulting rerolls may also trigger a power surge, which is a fun nod to the character's occasional random flair (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=369031).
While in the MtG multiverse Ral is an artificer, he doesn't rely on artifacts for his magic, thus I felt wizard would be a better subclass for him. However, I can see the allure, and maybe once I'm comfortable with the Artificer class, I'll port him over.

Let me know what you think!

The Ghost Slayer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?588598-Ghost-Slayer-Roguish-Archetype-Based-on-M-tG-s-Kaya-PEACH&p=23926058#post23926058), a rogue subclass based on Kaya
Oath of the Hieromancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?572015-Oath-of-the-Hieromancer-Paladin-Oath-based-on-M-tG-s-Gideon-Jura), a paladin subclass based on Gideon Jura
Circle of Awakening (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?572085-Circle-of-Awakening-Druid-Subclass-based-on-M-tG-s-Nissa-Revane) a druid subclass based on Nissa Revane,
The Soulless (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?572227-The-Soulless-Patron-Necromancer-Warlock-Subclass-based-on-M-tG-s-Liliana-Vess), a warlock patron based on Liliana Vess.
The College of Mentalism (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23470389&postcount=1)- Telepathic/Illusion-based Bard Subclass based on Jace Beleren
M:tG Keywords ideas for Ravnica encounter & monster creation (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?574896-M-tG-Keywords-ideas-for-Ravnica-encounter-amp-monster-creation-(PEACH))

nickl_2000
2019-05-24, 07:42 AM
Storm Conduit - I like the concept here, but I think it is underpowered. There just aren't enough direct damage lightning spells out there to make this the base of the class. I personally don't see an issue with making it so all the time you do lightning damage you add your intelligence modifier to the damage. When throwing a lightning bolt out there, you are already dealing 8d6 damage, adding an extra 3-5 is basically adding an extra die (good, but not broken in my opinion). Also, with a PC like this you have no real worthwhile armor so lightning lure and shocking grasp aren't exactly the safest spells.

Staticaster - I think the last option bullet needs a little bit of clarification. Is the extra damage a one time thing, or every time you use your reaction during the next minute? I'm not sure why you would need the last sentence (Only a weapon wielded by yourself or an ally can be infused in this way), why would you do this to an enemy? And if you can find a way to take advantage of doing this to an enemy what is the problem with that? I just can't see the abuse potential.

Caller of Storms - Storm from the X-Men anyone? :biggrin:

Blast of Genius - "Your Intelligence score (not modifier)..." I don't see the point in this at all. Everything keys off of your modifier, spell attacks, DCs, etc. So, you can boost your intelligence, what does it really buy you? What's the actual point other than being able to point at a higher number? Or is it that you can boost your Int by 4 total, which increases the modifier by 2? If that is the case, then I get it. However, it needs to be clarified better since your current phrasing confused me and made me think that it didn't change the modifier at all.

I don't know why, but I feel like this subclass should have a new option for a familiar. Something that is a dancing spark. Maybe a re-fluffed Sprite or low CR Mephit.

Also, as a note there are a few missing spells that do lightning damage. They are also missing Lightning Arrow and Storm of Vengeance (not that this subclass needs them, but just a note).

Vogie
2019-05-24, 08:44 AM
Storm Conduit - I like the concept here, but I think it is underpowered. There just aren't enough direct damage lightning spells out there to make this the base of the class. I personally don't see an issue with making it so all the time you do lightning damage you add your intelligence modifier to the damage. When throwing a lightning bolt out there, you are already dealing 8d6 damage, adding an extra 3-5 is basically adding an extra die (good, but not broken in my opinion). Also, with a PC like this you have no real worthwhile armor so lightning lure and shocking grasp aren't exactly the safest spells.

The idea was any damage by any cantrip will instill the spark that fuels lightning, including fire bolt.

However, you're not wrong, so I added a bonus cantrip to the level 2 feature, giving the Galvimancer Shocking Grasp, with a range of 10 ft rather than touch. I also reworded it so you can get +Int to damage from your Call Lightning activations.

Chromatic Orb also (can) deal 3d8 lightning damage, and is available at 1st level.

Staticaster - I think the last option bullet needs a little bit of clarification. Is the extra damage a one time thing, or every time you use your reaction during the next minute? I'm not sure why you would need the last sentence (Only a weapon wielded by yourself or an ally can be infused in this way), why would you do this to an enemy? And if you can find a way to take advantage of doing this to an enemy what is the problem with that? I just can't see the abuse potential.

Confusion removed

Blast of Genius - "Your Intelligence score (not modifier)..." I don't see the point in this at all. Everything keys off of your modifier, spell attacks, DCs, etc. So, you can boost your intelligence, what does it really buy you? What's the actual point other than being able to point at a higher number? Or is it that you can boost your Int by 4 total, which increases the modifier by 2? If that is the case, then I get it. However, it needs to be clarified better since your current phrasing confused me and made me think that it didn't change the modifier at all.

I've re-worded it. The idea was that you'd be able to get your Int to 24, thus turning your Int Mod from +5 to +7

I don't know why, but I feel like this subclass should have a new option for a familiar. Something that is a dancing spark. Maybe a re-fluffed Sprite or low CR Mephit.

That's brilliant... I'll have to hunt around for something like that. The Steam Mephit is a decent idea.

nickl_2000
2019-05-24, 10:04 AM
The idea was any damage by any cantrip will instill the spark that fuels lightning, including fire bolt.

However, you're not wrong, so I added a bonus cantrip to the level 2 feature, giving the Galvimancer Shocking Grasp, with a range of 10 ft rather than touch. I also reworded it so you can get +Int to damage from your Call Lightning activations.

Oddly I was thinking about something exactly like this for shocking grasp. Or possibly taking Acid Splash and making it do lightning damage instead.

That's brilliant... I'll have to hunt around for something like that. The Steam Mephit is a decent idea.

So, here is my initial thought. Take the owl base (with some small mods). Remove darkvision, Keen Hearing/Sight, and Stealth bonus. Add illumination 10/10 per dancing lights, add 1d4 damage lightning when someone strikes it, add investigation +3. Ending with

Lightning Bug or Spark
Tiny Beast/Elemental, Unaligned
AC: 12
HP: 1 (1d4-1)
Speed: 5ft, Fly 60ft
Str 3, Dex 14, Con 8, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills Investigation +3

Flyby. The lightning bug/spark doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy’s reach.
Illumination. The lightning bug/spark sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 ft..
Lightning Form. The lightning bug/spark deals 1d4 damage to an attacking creature when it is struck. If it is struck by a metal weapon, that damage is maximized.

Actions
Touch. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 (1d4 - 1) lightning damage.

I believe I am still within the CR 0 range for a creature, but someone else may need to check this.

Vogie
2019-05-24, 11:17 AM
So, here is my initial thought. Take the owl base (with some small mods). Remove darkvision, Keen Hearing/Sight, and Stealth bonus. Add illumination 10/10 per dancing lights, add 1d4 damage lightning when someone strikes it, add investigation +3. Ending with

Lightning Bug or Spark
Tiny Beast/Elemental, Unaligned
HP: 1 (1d4-1)
Speed: 5ft, Fly 60ft
Str 3, Dex 14, Con 8, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills Investigation +3

Flyby. The lightning bug/spark doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy’s reach.
Illumination. The lightning bug/spark sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 ft..
Lightning Form. The lightning bug/spark deals 1d4 damage to an attacking creature when it is struck. If it is struck by a metal weapon, that damage is maximized.

Actions
Touch. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 (1d4 - 1) lightning damage.

I believe I am still within the CR 0 range for a creature, but someone else may need to check this.

I don't want to make it a super-owl... so I redid it with the Cat as a base. I'd probably not include this in the Galvimancer text itself, but in a sidebar variant.

Spark Weird
Tiny Elemental, Unaligned
HP: 2 (1d4)
Speed: 40 ft., climb 30 ft
Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills Investigation +3

Conduit. The Spark Weird doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks when it runs out of an enemy’s reach if they're wearing metal armor or wielding a weapon or object containing metal
Illumination. The Spark Weird sheds bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 ft..
Lightning Form. The Spark Weird deals 1d4 damage to an attacking creature when it is struck. If it is struck by a metal weapon, that damage is maximized.

Actions
Shock. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 (1d4-1) lightning damage

http://www.johnavonart.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1bb2cc093fde63bdc450bb6bdd1d7134/1/0/1000_Spark_Elemental.jpg