PDA

View Full Version : What Lives In Limbo?

Sparky McDibben
2019-05-23, 05:53 PM
Hey guys,

Aside from githzerai and slaad, what lives in Limbo? Planning an adventure there to grab a piece of the Law Stone, and I'd like to have more options than just those two.

Beechgnome
2019-05-23, 06:29 PM
In the old 2e books there were creatures called Chaos Imps that could live inside your equipment and them transform them, so you'd pull out your shield and find it had been transformed into a banana, for example.

You had to dispel/banish them out and I think magic items got a save against the effect. You could reskin Mephits for a stat block.

Other than that I'd use the residents of Limbo's neighbours as likely accidental arrivals: demons, howlers and vargouille from the lower planes, fey, giants, elves and celestials from the upper planes and maybe some elementals too. If you have the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica those Izzit Weirds could be reskinned as elemental oddities.

On a lighter note, I recall in the lore there was also a halfling run 'hotel' - basically a tree, its roots and burrows attached - that floated through Limbo. It is called Barnstable. Look it up it might provide inspiration.

Rukelnikov
2019-05-23, 06:41 PM
Neraphs are natives of Limbo.

The 3.x manual of the planes or planar handbook probably have more.

I'll try to check when I get home

Naanomi
2019-05-23, 06:44 PM
Everything lives in limbo, the chaos can manifest anything... most of it just doesn’t stick around long

Sparky McDibben
2019-05-23, 08:17 PM
Everything lives in limbo, the chaos can manifest anything... most of it just doesn’t stick around long

Thanks - I was looking for a non-combat encounter that would give the PCs something to care about. You've all made some excellent recommendations. I could have someone from another plane get stranded in Limbo, or leverage the floating inn idea. Thanks, all!!!

Brookshw
2019-05-23, 08:29 PM
Hey guys,

Aside from githzerai and slaad, what lives in Limbo? Planning an adventure there to grab a piece of the Law Stone, and I'd like to have more options than just those two.

Native Limbo inhabitants,..
Various gods depends on your pantheon and their respective servants (to the extent they're "natives" anywhere)
Boggle
Chaos Beast
Dark weaver
Doppleganger
Elemental Tempests
Gibberlings
Gremlins
Hakeashar
Chaos Imps
Khaasta
Lillend
Mimics (why? Don't ask)
Minion of Chaos
Peltast
Phileet
Raggamoffyn
Petitioners
Anarchic Creatures
Limbo Stalker
Krackadoon
maugway
zhisto

Non-native inhabitants that might be interesting:
unraveler
Mercane
Anarchs/Chaosmen/Xaositect (faction)
The normal things you'd expect on the find on the material (humans, elves, dwarves, goblins, trolls, orcs, etc)

Not to mention you're on a plane that can't decide what it is. One minute you're standing on a patch of earth, the next you're drowning in water? Tired of being wet? No worries, now you're in the middle of a raging inferno. Any any of the paraelementals while we're at it. Ice? Sure. Steam? Why not. You might want to think about the environmental challenges the party can face dealing with the plane itself and not just on who they might encounter.

Millstone85
2019-05-24, 06:00 AM
Everything lives in limbo, the chaos can manifest anything... most of it just doesn’t stick around longI suspect Limbo to be a Last-Thursdayist nightmare. An entire kingdom could appear, complete with memories of a rich history. Three days later, all of it would turn into vanilla-scented bubbles. :smalleek:

QuickLyRaiNbow
2019-05-24, 08:22 AM
Well, there's the giant-frog slaad, but if you're using the older lore there are also 'true' slaad, created directly from the pure chaos of the plane rather than through implanted eggs or by the Spawning Stone. The Stone was altered by Ygorl (or the other one, whose name escapes me at the moment) to fix new slaad in their froggie forms, preventing the plane from randomly generating a new slaad which could surpass the lords (which is why death slaad are a regular thing when none of the other exemplar races have a whole class of no-longer-aligned souls. The Spawning Stone prevents them from going any further, so they turn to evil in an attempt to bypass those restrictions). I don't know that anyone has described those 'true' slaad.

Naanomi
2019-05-24, 08:33 AM
Before the spawning stone, Slaad could literally be anything... there was no reason or pattern to how they manifested

Note that the stone is not perfect, there still have been a few true Slaad since it was made... Chaos cannot be fully contained

The known Slaad lords are Ssendam, Ygorl, Rennbuu, Chourst, and Wartle; but of those only Ssendam and Ygorl don’t resemble the ‘froggy-slaad’

Sparky McDibben
2019-05-24, 08:38 AM
This thread is why I ****ing love this whole community.

Rafaelfras
2019-05-24, 10:05 AM
Before the spawning stone, Slaad could literally be anything... there was no reason or pattern to how they manifested

Note that the stone is not perfect, there still have been a few true Slaad since it was made... Chaos cannot be fully contained

The known Slaad lords are Ssendam, Ygorl, Rennbuu, Chourst, and Wartle; but of those only Ssendam and Ygorl don’t resemble the ‘froggy-slaad’

I need to ask: Whats up with Ygorl change in aparence (yeah, i know, lord of Chaos he can look like whatever)?
He is described as a winged skeleton with a Scythe, but looking for it i found the image of a grey man with strange hair

https://www.deviantart.com/art-calavera/art/Ygorl-the-lord-of-Entropy-203105228

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/42/71/23/42712394cc705e14aa4df0a49d6829b0.jpg

Brookshw
2019-05-24, 10:14 AM
I need to ask: Whats up with Ygorl change in aparence (yeah, i know, lord of Chaos he can look like whatever)?
He is described as a winged skeleton with a Scythe, but looking for it i found the image of a grey man with strange hair

https://www.deviantart.com/art-calavera/art/Ygorl-the-lord-of-Entropy-203105228

That's never been one of his recognized forms, he's either the Scythe Wielder, or a Golden Slaad. Call it "artistic license"

Here's an interesting article (http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2015/07/dungeons-dragons-guide-to-slaad.html) on how the Slaad have changed over the editions if you're interested.

Rafaelfras
2019-05-24, 10:22 AM
That's never been one of his recognized forms, he's either the Scythe Wielder, or a Golden Slaad. Call it "artistic license"

Here's an interesting article (http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2015/07/dungeons-dragons-guide-to-slaad.html) on how the Slaad have changed over the editions if you're interested.

Yeah, the art style looks very 3rd ed to me, but who knows, its even in the Wiki page for him, even if the description of his apearence still is "winged skeleton with a scythe". So i was curious about where it came from.

Thx for the article

Brookshw
2019-05-24, 10:39 AM
Yeah, the art style looks very 3rd ed to me, but who knows, its even in the Wiki page for him, even if the description of his apearence still is "winged skeleton with a scythe". So i was curious about where it came from.

Thx for the article

Which Wikipedia page? This one? (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ygorl), cause it also sources that picture back to the 1e FF which it definitely is not from (the 1e FF picture of Ygorl is the first pic of him in that article I linked).

Rafaelfras
2019-05-24, 10:54 AM
Which Wikipedia page? This one? (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ygorl), cause it also sources that picture back to the 1e FF which it definitely is not from (the 1e FF picture of Ygorl is the first pic of him in that article I linked).

Exactly!
The style is from 3rd ed foward, but i realy dont know. Maybe is just a missplaced image, but it does show up on google image results for Ygorl along the skeletal one

No brains
2019-05-24, 11:45 AM
You could probably find elves or eladrin out there. In their mythic history, elves were formless chaos beings, so maybe some elves went to limbo to try to change back.

It's sort of funny how elves and slaad were shapeshifters who were fixed into a form out of spite. If they could chill out and not attack each other, they could probably form an alliance.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2019-05-24, 11:55 AM
You could probably find elves or eladrin out there. In their mythic history, elves were formless chaos beings, so maybe some elves went to limbo to try to change back.

It's sort of funny how elves and slaad were shapeshifters who were fixed into a form out of spite. If they could chill out and not attack each other, they could probably form an alliance.

They did once, a long, long time ago.

Yora
2019-05-24, 12:01 PM

That's his appearance in the PS2 game Demon Stone. They probably didn't feel like trying to make a high detail 3D model of a winged skeleton.

Naanomi
2019-05-24, 12:30 PM
They did once, a long, long time ago.
Indeed, all on the same side in the War of Law and Chaos (outsider Eladrin anyways, elves themselves didn’t exist until well into that conflict)

Rafaelfras
2019-05-24, 12:53 PM
That's his appearance in the PS2 game Demon Stone. They probably didn't feel like trying to make a high detail 3D model of a winged skeleton.

Thank you very much, mystery solved

QuickLyRaiNbow
2019-05-24, 12:59 PM
Indeed, all on the same side in the War of Law and Chaos (outsider Eladrin anyways, elves themselves didn’t exist until well into that conflict)

grumble grumble stupid eladrin change grumble grumble

Beleriphon
2019-05-24, 02:29 PM

Actually, the info is sourced to FF 1E, the picture has a separate citation.

Brookshw
2019-05-24, 02:50 PM
Actually, the info is sourced to FF 1E, the picture has a separate citation.

You mean "Concept Art"? That's not a citation, or at least not a meaningful or correct one. Generally, visual elements and feature boxes carry their citation(s) underneath (though the actual practice in the world of publishing vary title by title).

Yora
2019-05-24, 02:57 PM
Slaads first appeared in the Fiend Folio. It has red, blue, green, gray, and death, and Ssendam and Ygorl, They are already introduces as living in Limbo, together with the githzerai.

Tvtyrant
2019-05-24, 03:01 PM
I imagine a lot of mages from various races move to Limbo. It fulfills the goals of a high int, highly determined person. They can literally make the world into whatever they want as long as they concentrate hard enough; like a more pure form of magic. I would fill the place with wizard towers set in every shifting gardens, the strongest of them on planets of the Wizard's making.

Think Ego from GotGII, but there are tons of them of various power levels floating around.

No brains
2019-05-24, 03:01 PM

Regardless of appearance hiccups, (irrelevant to a shapeshifter?) it's now canon that he sounds like Michael Clarke Duncan. :smallbiggrin:

Naanomi
2019-05-24, 07:07 PM
grumble grumble stupid eladrin change grumble grumble
I mean... sure... but I swallow it better than arbitrary yugoloth fluff changes myself