PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Circle of Sand: Melee/Gish Druid (PEACH)

gloryblaze
2019-05-23, 07:02 PM
PDF Link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NfSbBTWaVBlE4SRmy4bYxeoWvp_6CMZ5/view?usp=sharing)

Circle of Sand
Most people rarely think about sand, or even dislike it---after all, it's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere. Druids of the Circle of Sand, however, are not most people. These druids see sand as the ultimate symbol of the inevitability of time. The sand that falls through an hourglass may have once been a mountain or boulder that was ground into dust by crashing waves and whipping wind. The sand of the sea floor swallows up shipwrecks and buried treasures, while the shifting sands of a desert can bury entire civilizations. Druids of the Circle of Sand seek to embody the power of sand, combining earth and time magic with martial prowess to scour their foes like sand scours canyons into solid rock.

Circle Spells:
Your connection to the sands of time grants you the ability to cast certain spells. At 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level you gain access to the spells listed for that level in the Circle of Sand Spells table.

Once you gain access to one of these spells, you always have it prepared, and it doesn't count against the number of spells you can prepare each day. If you gain access to a spell that doesn't appear on the druid spell list, the spell is nonetheless a druid spell for you.

Circle of Sand Spells

Druid Level
Spell

3rd
blur, Maximilian's earthen grasp

5th
haste, slow

7th
divination, stoneskin

9th
steel wind strike, transmute rock

Bonus Proficiencies:
When you choose this circle at 2nd level, you gain proficiency with simple and martial weapons.

Scouring Sands:
At 2nd level, you gain the ability to infuse yourself with the force of a raging sandstorm. As an action, you can expend a use of your Wild Shape feature to cause wind and sand to whirl around you, rather than transforming into a beast form, and you gain 4 temporary hit points for each level you have in this class. While this feature is active, you gain the following benefits:

• You are lightly obscured.
• The area in a 10-foot radius around you is difficult terrain for creatures other than you.
• Your melee weapon attacks deal an extra 1d6 slashing damage to any target they hit.

These benefits last for 10 minutes, until you lose all these temporary hit points, or until you use Wild Shape again.

Extra Attack:
Starting at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Time on My Side:
Starting at 10th level, when you ae subjected to an effect that allows you to make a saving throw at the end of your turn, such as the frightful presence of an ancient dragon or a hold person spell, you can choose to make that saving throw at the beginning of your turn instead.

Sudden Sandstorm:
At 14th level, you can activate your Scouring Sands as a bonus action, rather than as an action.

Working on a druid equivalent to the Bladesinger / Swords Bard, a full caster gish with Extra Attack. This also draws heavily from the Circle of Spores, with the primary 2nd level feature essentially being a reskin of the Spores 2nd level feature. Also it kind of bothered me that druids get access to all of the "earth" spells - mold earth, earth tremor, earthbind, erupting earth, bones of the earth, move earth, and earthquake - except for Maximilian's earthen grasp. And since bones of the earth is druid exclusive, and subclasses generally don't grant access to spells of 6th level or higher, clearly a druid subclass with Maximilian's earthen grasp needs to be made for players looking to make a comprehensive geomancer! Druids also get the only "rock" spell, transmute rock, and every "stone" spell except flesh to stone (investiture of stone, magic stone, meld into stone, stone shape, stoneskin, and wall of stone) for even better theming. Looking for thoughts on balance and flavor tweaks - thanks in advance for your time!

JNAProductions
2019-05-23, 07:22 PM
Time On My Side is not something I've seen before.

It also, unfortunately, doesn't fir thematically with the whole thing.

Overall, though, looks fine to me. If anything, a tad underpowered.

gloryblaze
2019-05-23, 07:56 PM
Time On My Side is not something I've seen before.

It also, unfortunately, doesn't fir thematically with the whole thing.

Overall, though, looks fine to me. If anything, a tad underpowered.

A tad underpowered is (in my opinion) the right spot to be for homebrew, so that's good!

As for Time on My Side, I was going for a slight chronomancy undertone with the flavor text, divination, haste, and slow - do you think the time subtheme isn't coming through, or do you just think the time and sand themes don't mesh well?

JNAProductions
2019-05-23, 07:59 PM
They don’t mesh super well.

gloryblaze
2019-05-23, 08:12 PM
They don’t mesh super well.

Ah, that’s too bad. I could switch it for maybe fire resistance for a more “desert”-y vibe, and put erupting earth, create food and water, and blight in place of the chronomancy options in the circle spells - crib from the Land Druid’s desert spells a little.

JNAProductions
2019-05-23, 08:23 PM
Ah, that’s too bad. I could switch it for maybe fire resistance for a more “desert”-y vibe, and put erupting earth, create food and water, and blight in place of the chrominance options in the circle spells - crib from the Land Druid’s desert spells a little.

I think that'd be the best idea.

Overall, though, good work.

gloryblaze
2019-05-23, 08:49 PM
I think that'd be the best idea.

Overall, though, good work.

Thanks for the help!