PDA

View Full Version : plot hooks and red herrings via newspaper headlines

JeenLeen
2019-05-24, 10:23 AM
I'm thinking up a sandbox-style game taking place in a modern city. The system is In Nomine, but that's not really related to the question.

I'm considering having something like the weekly newspaper announcing a handful of things. The PCs can choose to investigate or ignore them at their whim. I'll tell the players OOC that some of the things are related to ally or enemy movements, some are things that might be interesting for the PCs to work with (a way to further their goals or make contacts), and some are just irrelevant stuff unless the PCs get really creative in finding a way to utilize it.

I'm not sure if that sounds fun or not. Opinions? Advice?

I do plan on having some more 'plot-centric' things come up, like an allied angel asks for their help or a known demonic plot is discussed near the PCs. That is, not all the plot hooks will come this way, but it seems good for a city where the supernatural is in a fairly status quo homeostasis and hostilities between groups are mostly in a 'cold war' style.

Resileaf
2019-05-24, 10:45 AM
I find that 'plot-convenience' TV channels and newspaper can be very useful to give PCs some ideas that they can follow if they otherwise aren't sure of what should require their attention. Can also be a useful way of doing some exposition dumping without having to find the specific person they need to see.

Tinkerer
2019-05-24, 12:13 PM
I've always found those to be super effective and fun, just make sure not to make more work for yourself than it's worth (no way I have time to make them now a days). I've also used small snippets of audio news mixed in to our sessions play list as a radio broadcaster, although I find that particular avenue more useful for plot resolution and world building than for plot hooks.

It's always fun when the players hear about their group in the third person.

JeenLeen
2019-05-24, 12:20 PM
It's always fun when the players hear about their group in the third person.

That is a nice side benefit. Can work in humorous ways, too.

TV: "And police are still searching for the unknown assailants who killed a teenager on his way home two nights ago."
PC: "Good thing we kept our masks on when we killed that demon. Freakin' demons posing as kids."
PC 2: "...you did confirm it was a demon first this time, right?"

NRSASD
2019-05-24, 12:24 PM
Nothing says DM love like highly specific wanted posters, based on the players' actions

Resileaf
2019-05-24, 12:57 PM
Nothing says DM love like highly specific wanted posters, based on the players' actions

In the first game of my Starfinder campaign, the players robbed a computer repair store in broad daylight and fled before mall security arrived. Later when they turned in an unrelated bounty, they saw their faces plastered in the bounty office.

JAL_1138
2019-05-24, 08:49 PM
Newspaper headlines are the perfect opportunity to introduce the exploits of the campaign villain...FLORIDA MAN!

Beleriphon
2019-05-28, 10:02 AM
Newspaper headlines are the perfect opportunity to introduce the exploits of the campaign villain...FLORIDA MAN!

That's a good one for a superhero game. He's a body hopping demon/psychic that refuses to leave Florida for some reason.