PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [PF] Sorcerer Oracle Gestalt Optimization questions?

RickDaily12
2019-05-24, 11:46 AM
Before posting your advice, please notice the following requests here:

1. Prestige classing in this campaign is not permitted. Cross-classing is, however, I'm not too particularly fond of the idea.
2. If all you plan on doing is remarking about how sub-optimal this gestalt choice is, please don't post here.

Hey everyone. I'm currently inside of a 2-player gestalt campaign with my boyfriend, and our DM is running a third character to assist us in whatever weaknesses we would inevitably form over the course of our building.

I'm finding myself with a lot of power, but also a lot of lack of experience in knowing how to play my character in a sensible optimal way, especially when trying to plan out certain tactics and spells to take at future levels. Does anyone have any advice on the build I'm trying to make?

What I currently have:

A Neutral Good Aasimar (who doesn't know her lineage and all of her memories) Tattooed Sorcerer Dual Cursed (HAUNTED and Blackened [normal curse]) Oracle of Life 3.

The GM house ruled this spell known and spells per day progression by level for me:

SPD:

1st: 2
2nd: 3
3rd: 4/2
4th: 5/3
5th: 6/4/2
6th: 6/5/3
7th: 6/6/4/2
8th: 6/6/5/3
9th: 6/6/6/4/2
10th: 6/6/6/5/3
11th: 6/6/6/6/4/2
12th: 6/6/6/6/5/3
13th: 6/6/6/6/6/4/2
14th: 6/6/6/6/6/5/3
15th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/4/2
16th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/5/3
17th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/4/2
18th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/5/3
19th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6/4
20th: 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6

Known:

1st: 4/2
2nd: 5/2
3rd: 5/3/1
4th: 6/3/2
5th: 6/4/2/1
6th: 7/4/3/2
7th: 7/5/3/2/1
8th: 7/5/4/3/2
9th: 7/6/4/3/2/1
10th: 7/6/5/4/3/2
11th: 7/6/5/4/3/2/1
12th: 7/6/5/5/4/3/2
13th: 7/6/5/5/4/3/2/1
14th: 7/6/5/5/5/4/3/2
15th: 7/6/5/5/5/4/3/2/1
16th: 7/6/5/5/5/5/4/3/2
17th: 7/6/5/5/5/5/4/3/2/1
18th: 7/6/5/5/5/5/4/4/3/2
19th: 7/6/5/5/5/5/4/4/3/3
20th: 7/6/5/5/5/5/4/4/4/4

Traits I have (and are stuck with for the rest of campaign:

Occult Bargain (drawback)
Guiding Spirit (magic)
Sensitive Mind (campaign, Strange Aeons)
Metamagic Master (Magic Missile) (regional)

Feats (can be retrained)

1. Noble Scion of War
3. Toppling Spell

Stats and Attributes (40 point build, Character is currently middle-aged)

Str 8
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 16
Cha 21

Arcane Bloodline. Familiar was a Greentailed scorpion.

Revelations chosen were Channel and Misfortune.

Things I currently plan on doing:

My GM is allowing 3rd party content. One of the first things I was going to pick up at 5th level was Strange Revelation (allowing me to take Nature's Whispers from Nature mystery) to give a major boost to my AC as the campaign progresses. By the way, Mythic will be a feature to this campaign, though I'm not exactly sure when it's going to pop up.

My GM is also allowing me to research Bestow Grace as a 4th Level Oracle Spell. Basically by 7th level, Charisma is going to be added for all my AC, saves, and initiative checks. My hitpoints are going to be high, and I'm currently thinking about what to do about stuff like SR and my resistances.

What's getting me stuck is that, even after all this, I'm running out of feats and revelations (and when to take them) in a way I think is useful. I also find myself more primarily concerned with building the oracle side to me properly, as I find that Sorcerer is a bit more straight forward.

Do you guys have any advice for me regarding what stuff I should be taking in the future? Spells, feats, mythic paths- what would you add to this to help give her the most bang for her buck?

Krezdorim
2019-05-24, 12:15 PM
I would see if your DM allows the Half-Elf trait for having 2 favoured classes to grab more spells known.

Looking into the Psychic Bloodline might be worth considering as you can go in Armor.

For future things: Metamagic Feats are neat and for the Mystic Path? Archmage/Hierophant should work wonderful, trickster can work... I think (haven't looked into the systems for the past 2 years).

RickDaily12
2019-05-24, 12:27 PM
Sadly I did take Scion of humanity for story purposes, so I'm not sure if that one would fly. :P good idea though! More spells are always nice.

I'm thinking of persistent, quicken, empower, and swapping toppling for dazing in the future.

My GM recommended against Psychic given how fear heavy this campaign is.

Firebug
2019-05-24, 01:51 PM
Life oracle? Maybe some Selective Channeling (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Selective%20Channeling), Purifying Channel (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Purifying%20Channel), and Quick Channel (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Quick%20Channel) to give you some options. Depending on your deity, there might be some variant channeling options/feats as well. Irori, Ki Channel, 2 levels in Ninja for the Ki pool, and Tea of Transference (https://aonprd.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Tea%20of%20tran sference) is very powerful as well. Typically the "Theurge" type character has a ton of spells, but doesn't really have enough actions to do everything. Hence, Quick Channel as something to use your move action on. Though with fewer people to heal it might be less useful. Summons maybe?

Dual Cursed is really good for the Misfortune revelation. Its not enemies only either, so you can force your allies to reroll once per day too. However, your mileage will vary, because its usefulness really depends on if your GM rolls in the open or not. If they do, then the power is functional. If the GM rolls behind a screen the power is useless against enemies because by letting you know the results (ie, the monster rolled well) you've already passed the trigger for the power.

Dual Cursed also stacks with the Spirit Guide archetype. This will at least give you more options day to day (especially Lore: Arcane Enlightenment, though you are really MAD), and gives you another set of spells known depending on the spirit you select. You could also pick up another Channeling Pool by going Life/Life. Heavens:Lure of the Heavens is very thematic for a Aasimar. Lore: Benefit of Wisdom would allow you to use Cha instead of Int for all Int-based checks (and skills, add in the headband of persuasion which will also help your concentration checks). If going summons, Dark Tapestry: Alien Summons can add the simple template to one of the creatures summoned.

Consecrate Spell (metamagic) for a cheaper (+2) maximize vs evil creatures.

RickDaily12
2019-05-24, 02:47 PM
Consecrate instead of Empower? Maybe. This is a Lovecraft themed Adventure Path (my character actually worships Cthulhu's Neutral Good twin brother) so I'm sure the number of evil creatures we'll encounter will push into the range of 80-90%. Mostly undead and aberrations.

Selective Channeling is probably going to help, but the problem is my feat map. I'm already planning on dropping Toppling Spell for Dazing closer to level 13, and I'm only planning on committing to about 4 metamagic feats.

The other six I thought looked something like this:

Noble Scion
Strange Revelation (for Nature's whispers)
Quick Channel
Spell Penetration
Greater Spell Focus (normal copy is a bonus feat)
Spell Perfection

After that, I'd have potential future mythic bonus feats and path abilities, but I'm not sure that the trade of one of these is worth Selective Channeling, you know?

But I'm not sure either, how often is not having selective going to annoy me into wanting it?

What about spells? Is there anything fun a dual caster can do that wouldn't be immediately obvious if you only had one of the two classes? I'm looking at all kinds of spell guides, but I'm trying to be both a battlefield controller with a bit of blasting.

My boyfriend is a gestalted Winter Witch Warder (Dervish Defender).

Our DM gave us an NPC who is an empiricist Investigator.

Kaouse
2019-05-24, 04:31 PM
I would strongly suggest being a Shadow Oracle and picking up the Dark Secrets revelation for a bunch of free Shadow spells that can emulate a bunch of other spells. With third party content, there's even the Shadow Necromancy line of spells, too.

RickDaily12
2019-05-25, 03:23 AM
Dual Cursed also stacks with the Spirit Guide archetype. This will at least give you more options day to day (especially Lore: Arcane Enlightenment, though you are really MAD), and gives you another set of spells known depending on the spirit you select. You could also pick up another Channeling Pool by going Life/Life. Heavens:Lure of the Heavens is very thematic for a Aasimar. Lore: Benefit of Wisdom would allow you to use Cha instead of Int for all Int-based checks (and skills, add in the headband of persuasion which will also help your concentration checks). If going summons, Dark Tapestry: Alien Summons can add the simple template to one of the creatures summoned.

Is this really worth the cost of three revelations, though? Especially Life spirit, I was looking through that and sort of thought that if I launch my charisma high enough, needing another pool of Channel won't be all that necessary, certainly not the cost of two revelations. Unless there's like, something REALLY obvious that I'm missing about the feature of having a wandering spirit. The Greater and True abilities in exchange for revelations seemed kind of lame to me. Could you elaborate a bit more about the benefits of this?

I like building as SAD on Charisma as possible as this tactic seems to be really working for me so far. After all the level stat increases, mythic stat increases, inherent bonuses and magic items, I see my Charisma reaching about 47, which should be a lot of fun and could be the ideal way to build her, right? Given that it will boost all my spells, and later on my AC, my Initiative, my Saves, my party Face...

Also, I just want to iterate and make clear, my character thinks she's Human, and has no idea at all that she's Aasimar and probably won't until a much later point in the campaign. She's quite the amnesiac at the moment, it's a feature of both her storyline and our AP.

I would strongly suggest being a Shadow Oracle and picking up the Dark Secrets revelation for a bunch of free Shadow spells that can emulate a bunch of other spells. With third party content, there's even the Shadow Necromancy line of spells, too.
It's a nice idea and the shadow spells are useful, however, I think I'm pretty firm about remaining a Life Oracle as it seems to have better access to healing and I really like the features it offers me. If I'm not the healer of the party, pretty much no one else is going to fit that role when we're going to end up needing it.

RickDaily12
2019-05-25, 08:18 PM
Bumping.

Spells to consider? I was also thinking of spell focusing into Necromancy, especially since my boyfriend seems to really enjoy playing his Warder half more than his Witch half, so there hasn't been so much in the way of Magic aside from me so far.