PDA

View Full Version : How does E6 work?

Rukelnikov
2019-05-24, 05:26 PM
I know there basically a mod of DND that is based around stopping traditional lvling at 6 and then starting to earn boons or feats.

I assume there's a bit more to it than just that, could anyone explain some more of it, or direct me to where I can read a bit more?

Thx

PhoenixPhyre
2019-05-24, 05:28 PM
I know there basically a mod of DND that is based around stopping traditional lvling at 6 and then starting to earn boons or feats.

I assume there's a bit more to it than just that, could anyone explain some more of it, or direct me to where I can read a bit more?

Thx

That was a thing for 3.5e, not 5e. The whole point was that the system spirals out of control after about level 6, so if you limit it to level 6 max, it's much more sane and balanced.

5e doesn't need that same process, although some (@Yora) have suggested going to E10 since they feel that T2 is the sweet spot for 5e.

Tvtyrant
2019-05-24, 05:29 PM
Here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?206323-E6-The-Game-Inside-D-amp-D)is the original post. The author also has a bunch of home brewed classes meant specifically for E6.

Essentially the game is designed to flatten out right when casters take off, so the difference between classes doesn't become so wide. No instant no abilities, no plot altering teleports and seeing the future, etc.

Edit: A class level in 3.5 is worth about two in 5E as far as changing the relationship between character and world. A level 20 5E wizard with some updated AC figures would basically be level 10, so E6 becomes more like E12.

Rukelnikov
2019-05-24, 05:33 PM
That was a thing for 3.5e, not 5e. The whole point was that the system spirals out of control after about level 6, so if you limit it to level 6 max, it's much more sane and balanced.

5e doesn't need that same process, although some (@Yora) have suggested going to E10 since they feel that T2 is the sweet spot for 5e.

6-12 is probably the sweet spot for me. But I have a prob with DnD in general (except adnd maybe) is how fast characters lvl up, and how much they change. So even if I fix the former with milestone lvling, it sounds like changing the way of improvement from lvling to gaining ASIs or epic boons may fix the latter.

Here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?206323-E6-The-Game-Inside-D-amp-D)is the original post

Thx!

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-24, 06:31 PM
I came up with a 5e version of the rules here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?576456-Variant-Grim-and-Gritty-5e-(updated-with-new-feats)), if you're interested.

Rukelnikov
2019-05-24, 06:34 PM
I came up with a 5e version of the rules here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?576456-Variant-Grim-and-Gritty-5e-(updated-with-new-feats)), if you're interested.

Thx, checking it

Potato_Priest
2019-05-24, 06:36 PM

Yeah, I think E4 and E(somewhere in the 9-11 range) would both be good, but 6 is an awkward level in 5e and not a good stopping point.

JackPhoenix
2019-05-24, 06:40 PM
For 5e, I like E11, because 11th level is major bump for every class: fighters get 3rd attack, casters get 1 level 6 slot, rogues get reliable talent, warlocks get 3rd spell slot, paladins get improved divine strike... it feels like actual capstone, ironically unlike some actual level 20 capstones.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-05-24, 06:50 PM
For 5e, I like E11, because 11th level is major bump for every class: fighters get 3rd attack, casters get 1 level 6 slot, rogues get reliable talent, warlocks get 3rd spell slot, paladins get improved divine strike... it feels like actual capstone, ironically unlike some actual level 20 capstones.

I'm sure every Bard has been absolutely thrilled to receive the Battlemaster's 15th level feature as their capstone.

Sarcasm aside, when I run oneshots I try to stick to levels where a majority of classes gain core class features. It stands to reason that a system like that would be more appealing, so I agree wholeheartedly with 11 being a prime cut off point. 11th level is almost certainly one of the best levels for core classes, and it even doubles as a good enough multiclassing point for something like 8/3 splits.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-24, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I think E4 and E(somewhere in the 9-11 range) would both be good, but 6 is an awkward level in 5e and not a good stopping point.
On the contrary, 6 is actually a really good stopping point-- you're getting your second subclass feature as a capstone, OR you can dip into a second class while still getting your lv 5 tier upgrade, OR you can do a 3/3 split and have all the unique combos of two subclasses.

CheddarChampion
2019-05-24, 08:41 PM
I tried my hand at an E6 variant and decided to go with:

Max level in a single class is "6"
"Leveling up" past "6" either gets a feat/ASI, a level in a different class, or adds features from another subclass (one level at a time)
Leveling up past "6" doesn't increase proficiency bonus
Leveling up past "6" doesn't increase HP unless you get a higher HD from a multiclass (wizard 6 then fighter 4 gets 2d6 and 4d10)
Max spell level is 3
Max caster level for multiclass slots is "6"

You could replace "6" with any number of your choice though.

(I also fiddled with GWM and Sharpshooter given the lower HP in enemies to fight at those levels but that's besides the point)

Potato_Priest
2019-05-24, 09:02 PM
On the contrary, 6 is actually a really good stopping point-- you're getting your second subclass feature as a capstone, OR you can dip into a second class while still getting your lv 5 tier upgrade, OR you can do a 3/3 split and have all the unique combos of two subclasses.

In a single class game (what I use exclusively), it’s a lot less poetic. Half the time, those second sublass feature “capstones” are ribbons, and classes have hit tier 2, but haven’t hit it well enough to really be on their stride. Essentially, it’s like level 5 (where everyone’s just jumped into T2 and are on the same page) but some classes get great features (fighter ASI, lore bard magical secrets), while others get boned with ribbons or redundant abilities (rogue gets 2 extra expertise, totem barbs get ribbons).

Now, I know you try to fix this in your E6 rules by letting some classes get their level 7 feature instead, but the fact that this is necessary indicates that 6 is normally a rather awkward cut.