PDA

View Full Version : Sketchy dealings. Advice?

Darken Rahl
2007-10-05, 09:03 AM
So I've been trying to sell my plotter (36" B&W plotter) and a guy seems interested, but he's giving me a bit of the willies. He's a state and a half away, and doesn't type very precise English. He may not be a native speaker, which is fine, but it makes me wary initially.

He also says that a 36" B&W Plotter is a gift for a loved one, then, later, says it is for business. When I ask about the discrepancy, he maintains it is for his secretary.

I have since asked for cash, which he countered with a check suggestion. I told him I wouldn't ship unless the check cleared, and he said fine. I also told him he was in charge of shipping.

What am I missing? I sent him my (work) address to send the check to.

Am I being had?

Azrael
2007-10-05, 09:23 AM
Although things like Cashier's checks, postal money orders and Paypal came into existence for good reasons, provided that his check clears, you should be fine.

But I'd suggest boxing the plotter and finding out the exact cost of shipping and requiring the buyer to add that to the purchase amount ahead of time.

Darken Rahl
2007-10-05, 09:27 AM
He initially said "my shipper will be coming to pick it up from your place.does this suite you??"

So I'm not going to do any kind of work for this sale. I just wanna get this thing off my hands, and if he wants me to do any boxing / shipping, he's gonna have to ask, and then I'll consider it. There's been a couple other local offers and they were planning on trucking it without boxes. This thing is seriously like 12 pounds. It won't be cheap, so I assume, if he knows what he's buying (I included photos) he's gonna have a buddy with a truck.

Can I get in trouble if I cash the check and then he tries t pull a stunt like "You have my item and haven't shipped it yet"?

FdL
2007-10-05, 10:55 AM
I don't really think you'll have any trouble if you arrange the means of payment and delivery properly ahead of time.

I wanted to ask you why the fact that he doesn't seem to be a native speaker makes you wary.

Darken Rahl
2007-10-05, 11:48 AM
Many scams originate out of country, such as the 419 scam. That is the sole reason it made me wary.

Crow
2007-10-05, 02:34 PM
If he can write you a check, he can make you a cashier's check. Accept no substitutes.

When the stolen check clears and then promptly gets caught after you've already shipped the merchandise (it can take up to a few weeks), you'll end up owing the bank the money (or possibly under investigation for fraud), and he'll have gotten the merchandise for free.

Darken Rahl
2007-10-05, 02:48 PM
I'm not going to allow him to have the goods until the check clears. If it bounces, he won't get anything. I told him so, and I'm sticking to it.

Crow
2007-10-05, 02:52 PM
The problem is that it will clear.

Then they will catch it a few weeks down the road. So you've already spent the money, and the bank comes asking for it back. Then there is the unpleasant part where they will investigate you to make sure you're not the one who stole the checks!

Azrael
2007-10-05, 02:56 PM
I'm not going to allow him to have the goods until the check clears. If it bounces, he won't get anything. I told him so, and I'm sticking to it.

Fraudulent checks can still clear, only to be caught later, leaving the payee (you) owing money to the defrauded bank. Again, this is exactly why things like cashier's checks (Actually bank/treasurer checks are better, they're made out to you and can only be cashed by you. A cashier's check is like cash), postal money orders and PayPal exist.

Also -- if he seems that sketchy, don't give him your address or let his "shippers" (seriously, what does that mean?) come to your house.

Darken Rahl
2007-10-05, 03:17 PM
I already gave him my work address, and I am about to specify cashier's check in a new email. :)

Thanks for your advice, guys.

I'm being paranoid because craigslist told me to be.

RandomNPC
2007-10-10, 04:06 PM
this is a bit late but does your workplace have a security force? he's sending shippers, whatever that means, who says they're nice?

this is why i don't buy or sell things unless i'm in person or on some page like eBay, they have options for that kind of thing, third party doesn't ship or pay untill they get both, if one half doesn't show up the other half goes back home.