PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for assistance regarding plot hooks!

GemKnightDante
2019-05-25, 01:13 AM
For a very brief run down on the campaign's story;
A lost and forgotten peninsula that was once renowned for its natural harvests has been mysteriously cut off from the world for over four hundred years. However a hunting party has now stumbled upon a narrow, winding causeway that has given the Kingdom of Ytri access to this land once again.

An expedition of fifty-two is sent, but by the time they find lasting shelter only thirty-five remain. Now residing in a long-abandoned guard outpost, this group is now in a fight for survival against forces it has yet to truly comprehend.

Basically, the valleys that were once used to traverse between Ytri and the Fjord have been veiled by an illusion. They now appear as just another part of that treacherous mountain range. The source? A set of fonts in a cave system below each valley that has been powering the spell all that time. I have one of these dungeons ready so that they can learn they can destroy the illusion and open up the smallest of the three paths into the land to give them access to more people, supplies, and to grow their city.

Alas I just can't work out a proper hook to get them over there (its two and a half days travel) and to know the importance of said dungeon.

Any and all ideas are welcome, and I'm more than happy to answer any queries you might have.

Please and thank you!

TheYell
2019-05-25, 05:43 AM
Without knowing anything about the party or their level, I can only paint with broad strokes.

How about an attack on the party by a bunch of evil monsters? If the attack succeeds they capture one of the party and drag him to the dungeon, and the party can track him there.

If the attack fails, one of the monsters pleads for its life by telling them "the fonts are in the dungeon"

Wuzza
2019-05-25, 12:24 PM
Without knowing anything about the party or their level, I can only paint with broad strokes.

How about an attack on the party by a bunch of evil monsters? If the attack succeeds they capture one of the party and drag him to the dungeon, and the party can track him there.

If the attack fails, one of the monsters pleads for its life by telling them "the fonts are in the dungeon"

One of the expedition made it back, locals regard him/her as crazy, they will plead with anyone that will listen to venture forth and help their comrades?

Great Dragon
2019-05-25, 12:56 PM
One of the expedition made it back, locals regard him/her as crazy, they will plead with anyone that will listen to venture forth and help their comrades?

A shapechanger (I'm thinking a Hag) has learned of the fonts, wants the power from these for themselves, but doesn't know enough about them.

Directly hires the Party to go and "investigate" the font you have ready, promising great "rewards" (fame, glory, money, etc) for succeeding.

Follows behind the Party, and tries to "eliminate witnesses" when they finish the Dungeon. (Allow maybe a Short Rest, before)

Adding in some other "Friendly" NPCs (an Old Mage or Druid? Fey: Driads, Nymphs, or even Sprites or Pixies?) to give clues about the fonts, and what benefits can be gained by shutting them down.

denthor
2019-05-25, 11:20 PM
They are in a gaurd house. Straight forward they find a chain of command written in a book. Partial maps to the entrance. Former structure sitting next to it.

Book is send runner to these locations hold for reinforcements.
The locations have other forts in a chain.

For color toss in 10 magic arrows per location , training gear and a few scrolls low level of sending, magic Missile and daylight.

Segev
2019-05-26, 02:13 PM
“The expedition has sent out scouting parties to search the mountains. You Are one of them. During your explorations, you find [the entrance to the dungeon.]”