PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making a Healer for a Swashbuckling game, looking for advice

Potato_Priest
2019-05-25, 10:52 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking at playing a doctor in an upcoming game set in a fairly typical "pirate" setting and using the renaissance firearm rules. However, I'm not really sure how to build it.

Specifications:

1. No Multi-classing, but feats are allowed

2. Low-level effectiveness (I don't expect this game to go past level 6 at the highest)

3. Taking the healer feat at some point before level 5 is strongly preferred, but not absolutely necessary

4. I'd really like to have some options that enhance my ability to interact with objects (Thief's fast hands, the unseen servant spell, etc) as I foresee this being very useful in ship to ship combat.

5. I would also really like to have high mobility and good abilities for surviving environmental damage such as that caused by falls

What I haven't yet decided on is a race and a class. I've considered halflings, lizardfolk, variant humans (of course), and genasi on the race side and cleric, rogue, and ranger on the class side but haven't stumbled across just the right mix yet. What do you guys suggest? Roleplaying ideas that go along with your build idea are also welcome!

LudicSavant
2019-05-25, 10:57 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking at playing a doctor in an upcoming game set in a fairly typical "pirate" setting and using the renaissance firearm rules. However, I'm not really sure how to build it.

Specifications:

1. No Multi-classing, but feats are allowed

2. Low-level effectiveness (I don't expect this game to go past level 6 at the highest)

3. Taking the healer feat at some point before level 5 is strongly preferred, but not absolutely necessary

4. I'd really like to have some options that enhance my ability to interact with objects (Thief's fast hands, the unseen servant spell, etc) as I foresee this being very useful in ship to ship combat.

5. I would also really like to have high mobility and good abilities for surviving environmental damage such as that caused by falls

What I haven't yet decided on is a race and a class. I've considered halflings, lizardfolk, variant humans (of course), and genasi on the race side and cleric, rogue, and ranger on the class side but haven't stumbled across just the right mix yet. What do you guys suggest? Roleplaying ideas that go along with your build idea are also welcome!

Thief Healer Rogue is a thing. And straight Life Clerics are as good as they've always been. I posted some roleplaying ideas for those, too. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?567353-Unusual-Life-Cleric-Character-Concepts!)

Build-wise, Thief would just be Variant Human with Healer and Dex boosts. Life Cleric would just be Res:Con and stat boosts.

Lunali
2019-05-25, 11:44 AM
If you're going to be in an ocean setting, I'd suggest something that lets you wear little to no armor in case you end up swiming. Alternately, you could go with a heavy armor wearer that can breathe under water.

Since there's such a wide variety of possible choices, a good way to narrow it down would be asking yourself what you want to be able to do outside of combat. Do you want to talk to people? sneak around in the dark? be knowledgeable about the surroundings? repair the ship?

Potato_Priest
2019-05-25, 12:00 PM
Since there's such a wide variety of possible choices, a good way to narrow it down would be asking yourself what you want to be able to do outside of combat. Do you want to talk to people? sneak around in the dark? be knowledgeable about the surroundings? repair the ship?

Repairing the ship seems like the sort of thing that nobody else will think of being able to do, and I honestly hadn’t even considered it until you pointed it out. What did you have in long for that?

Talking to people is nice, and I particularly like being able to lie effectively. I don’t expect stealth will be terribly useful, since it’s hard to sneak with a ship, so that’s probably something I’d largely ignore unless it’s convenient to take it as a skill.

Lunali
2019-05-25, 12:13 PM
Repairing the ship seems like the sort of thing that nobody else will think of being able to do, and I honestly hadn’t even considered it until you pointed it out. What did you have in long for that?

Talking to people is nice, and I particularly like being able to lie effectively. I don’t expect stealth will be terribly useful, since it’s hard to sneak with a ship, so that’s probably something I’d largely ignore unless it’s convenient to take it as a skill.

Carpenter tools proficiency would be the basic need, though if you wanted to go all in you could go warforged or changeling (if they're available) and get expertise in them. If you're going to be doing repairs, you'll probably want athletics for climbing to awkward spots, though you'll probably want that anyway for ship combat. I think thief healer is probably the best fit, but there are a lot of ways to get the skills needed.

LudicSavant
2019-05-25, 12:49 PM
If you're going to be in an ocean setting, I'd suggest something that lets you wear little to no armor in case you end up swiming. Worth noting that in 5e, you can swim in armor.

moonfly7
2019-05-25, 12:53 PM
Id suggest a rogue triton, you get cold resist, and can reach drowning and injured crewmates faster. Stick with thief to get the quick action and if you go to 13, the use of all spell scrolls. Id suggest a ranged rogue, high dex to help with armor, and ask if you can replace arrow heads with health potions to heal teammates long range. At 13 level pack mass amounts of mending scrolls. Use the fog cloud and wall of water racial spells to deal with enemy ship's. I'd suggest getting into the water and swimming a ways away, and then sniping enemies from the water while your enemies are on the boat.

Plus this is likely to be the only game I've ever seen where you get to use the triton ability to talk to fish. If the ship looses it's oars/mast, you could get whales to pull you.

Aett_Thorn
2019-05-25, 12:57 PM
I second the Triton as a good choice of race for this kind of campaign.

However, totally aside from that, I am going to suggest a Celestial Warlock. You can heal on a bonus action, freeing you up to do whatever you need to do with your action. You’ll have the charisma you need to talk and lie, and with Dex as your second highest stat, you can climb and do all of those ship acrobatics you need to.

Go Chainlock if you want a pet (though scouting is a bit less useful on the open seas), tomelock if you need the rituals, or bladelock if you want to swashbuckle and heal at the same time.

Shadhael
2019-05-25, 01:11 PM
My first thought is druid.

Healing factor is pretty clear.

Shillelagh helps you focus on wisdom and spell casting while still being effective at melee. Spell selection is flexible.

Lacks some of your desired use object interaction, but vhuman magic initiate gets you unseen servant if you are so inclined. There is also thorn whip to pull objects closer to you

Shape change gives mobility.

Just the first thing that jumped to mind, throwing it out there

Naanomi
2019-05-25, 01:29 PM
Druid... Shepard to summon fish, or moon to become one

Divine soul, chosen of an ocean God?

Celestial Pact Warlock... in classic lore there are a handful of aquatic celestials to make a pact with (noviere Eladrin, Zoveri, Asrai... a Celestial whale of some kind I forget their name of); pick up the water breathing/swimming invocation later

Wuzza
2019-05-25, 01:40 PM
Catch phrase HAS to be "It's worse than that, he's dead (insert player name)….. :smallsmile:

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-25, 01:48 PM
I mean, Thief Rogue + Healer is a pretty solid choice. A Ranger actually works surprisingly well as a low-level healer too-- dumping your spell slots into Goodberry gives you a good sized pool of out-of-combat healing, especially since the berries are still good even after a long rest.

With UA on the table, Alchemist (UA: Feats) and Medic (UA: Skill Feats) can also both help a mundane healer like a Thief. And if your DM will let you pull from my Guide to Greatness, I've got a Surgeon archetype for the Rogue that's dedicated to mundane healing-- you can use Healer's Kits to let people spend hit dice, and you get (Int Mod) uses/day of an ability to either heal (Sneak Attack dmg + Int) or emulate a Lesser Restoration spell.

Keravath
2019-05-25, 05:17 PM
Variant Human monk with the healer feat?

Provides healing, melee attacks, ok AC with no armor, if you want more mobility take the mobile feat at 4th level (or swap mobile and healer feats). Safe fall lets you drop from the mast and you eventually get to run on water.

Potato_Priest
2019-05-25, 07:00 PM
I am definitely leaning towards the thief after seeing all the love it's getting. Can an arcane trickster use mage hand legerdemain to heal with a healer's kit on their bonus action?

I'm liking the mechanics of the triton race, but struggling with the backstory aspects. They seem so special snowflakey that it'd be hard to explain being a mere ships' medic, unless I went with the classic little mermaid esque tale of a triton fascinated by surface dwellers. Might be amusing if I ham it up a bit.

Monk is an intriguing suggestion, but what would it be able to contribute out of combat?

Also, would the UA medic feat really be a good option? It looks incredibly mild, even for a half feat. (In fact, I recall the cook's tool proficiency rules in Xanathar's giving better healing than that).

8wGremlin
2019-05-25, 07:37 PM
Shepard Druid.
You can use your bear totem to give lots of tom hp to the crew.

Healing spirit will heal nearly all the crew when you get it at 3rd level.

Turning in to animals with climb and eventually swim is excellent.

For fears ritual caster -wizard for some great utility spells.

Naanomi
2019-05-25, 08:02 PM
For low level campaigns, it is hard to get better than a variant human Charisma Caster with Inspiring Leader for ‘virtual healing’

Potato_Priest
2019-05-25, 08:14 PM
For low level campaigns, it is hard to get better than a variant human Charisma Caster with Inspiring Leader for ‘virtual healing’

How is inspiring leader better than healer? It “heals” less, takes longer, and can’t bring people back from zero.

Lunali
2019-05-25, 08:19 PM
How is inspiring leader better than healer? It “heals” less, takes longer, and can’t bring people back from zero.

"Heals" people without taking time in combat, also doesn't require any resources. Arguably it could also bring people from zero as long as they were stable.

Potato_Priest
2019-05-25, 08:27 PM
"Heals" people without taking time in combat, also doesn't require any resources. Arguably it could also bring people from zero as long as they were stable.

Can’t you also use the healer feat out of combat after the first encounter? (the period after a fight is usually a lot easier to easily identify than the period before one in my experience) The resource cost seems pretty negligible, given the low cost of healer’s kit, and on a ship carry weight isn’t an issue either.

Also, in the section on temp hp it specifies that it doesn’t allow people to get out of unconscious if they’re at zero regular hp. Plus, being unconscious they can’t hear you to benefit from the speech.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-25, 08:50 PM
Monk is an intriguing suggestion, but what would it be able to contribute out of combat?
It's a high Dex/Wis class, making it a great scout-- which Way of the Shadow doubles down on. If you're allowed UA, the Way of Tranquility is an excellent healer even without the feat, getting a Lay on Hands pool twice the size of the Paladin's.

Healer is arguably more efficient than Inspiring Leader-- both will increase the whole party's endurance by at least 1 HP/level, but Healer boosts that by d6+4, vs Inspiring Leader's [Charisma Modifier]-- but it's also more reactive.

Naanomi
2019-05-25, 09:07 PM
Doing it preemptively out of combat, without resources, and helping stave off death from massive damage (which is much more likely levels 1-3 than at higher levels) have always made it more practical for me in practice

djreynolds
2019-05-25, 11:35 PM
What about someone who can fly?

Aarakocra, and you have a phobia about the water and getting your feathers wet

Dexterity and wisdom bonus

Flavor yourself like a parrot

I would have a god of a jungle area and play a cleric

Potato_Priest
2019-05-26, 12:57 AM
What about someone who can fly?

Aarakocra, and you have a phobia about the water and getting your feathers wet

Dexterity and wisdom bonus

Flavor yourself like a parrot

I would have a god of a jungle area and play a cleric

Ha! An aaracockra parrot on a Goliath pirate would be fun! This also makes me want to look into beast master ranger with a blood hawk as the beast.

MeeposFire
2019-05-26, 01:00 AM
It's a high Dex/Wis class, making it a great scout-- which Way of the Shadow doubles down on. If you're allowed UA, the Way of Tranquility is an excellent healer even without the feat, getting a Lay on Hands pool twice the size of the Paladin's.

Healer is arguably more efficient than Inspiring Leader-- both will increase the whole party's endurance by at least 1 HP/level, but Healer boosts that by d6+4, vs Inspiring Leader's [Charisma Modifier]-- but it's also more reactive.

If you really want to boost long term prospects you can take both. Rogues get an extra ASI and many can afford to take two ASIs for this sort of thing if you really want to.

The Kool
2019-05-26, 01:05 AM
I'm going to second the Celestial Warlock and Divine Soul, I'm rather fond of both and believe they don't see enough play. Some variation of the Bard would be right up your alley as well (though I'm not well versed).

Potato_Priest
2019-05-26, 01:17 AM
If you really want to boost long term prospects you can take both. Rogues get an extra ASI and many can afford to take two ASIs for this sort of thing if you really want to.

It’d certainly be nice... but if I had the stats to have good enough charisma to do that I’d not be playing a rogue.

MeeposFire
2019-05-26, 01:25 AM
It’d certainly be nice... but if I had the stats to have good enough charisma to do that I’d not be playing a rogue.

Well if it is only the cha bonus stopping you consider that if you take inspiring leader as one of your later ASIs you start getting more bonus from your level than your ability score. IN addition consider that the bonus from a high ability score and a lower one is not that much when it comes to temp HP. At most it would be a difference of 6 HP per use if you had a 20 cha versus a 8 but if you even have a decent cha the difference is even less than that.

Potato_Priest
2019-05-26, 01:32 AM
I'm going to second the Celestial Warlock and Divine Soul, I'm rather fond of both and believe they don't see enough play. Some variation of the Bard would be right up your alley as well (though I'm not well versed).

I’m seeing a lot of this suggested. What do those options offer in terms of mobility?

Well if it is only the cha bonus stopping you consider that if you take inspiring leader as one of your later ASIs you start getting more bonus from your level than your ability score. IN addition consider that the bonus from a high ability score and a lower one is not that much when it comes to temp HP. At most it would be a difference of 6 HP per use if you had a 20 cha versus a 8 but if you even have a decent cha the difference is even less than that.

Good plan, I’ll keep it in mind if this character gets higher level than I expect!

Trustypeaches
2019-05-26, 01:36 AM
Proactive healing >>> reactive healing, generally speaking, especially when it takes no time during actual combat.

Potato_Priest
2019-05-26, 01:47 AM
Proactive healing >>> reactive healing, generally speaking, especially when it takes no time during actual combat.

Your guys’ tables must play rather differently from mine. While the insta-kill protection is a nice boost I hadn’t considered, I can just about count on one hand the number of times in each campaign I’ve had good enough advance warning about a battle to use the 10 minute inspiring leader speech, making reactive healing decidedly superior.

That might be different in this game thanks to good visibility on the ocean, but I wouldn’t risk spending a level 1 feat on that gamble.

Edit: wait, I just realized that it lasts all day. For some reason I thought it had an hour duration. This makes it significantly better.

djreynolds
2019-05-26, 02:03 AM
1. Did you already roll for stats?

2. Who else is in the party?

3. Are going with a Paul Bettany from Master and Commander?

4. I feel anybody on ship is going to be able to climb and swim, maybe not well, but you'll need athletics as a skill anyhow. (or should, many sailors back in the day couldn't swim)

For a doctor feel, you don't make house calls, the come to you. Spirit Guardians and sanctuary and warding bond could all be flavored

Have looked into the new alchemist, it gives you a modern feel. Also the spell-less ranger gets some interesting stuff.

A knowledge cleric could also be cool with expertise in something like alchemy

verbatim
2019-05-26, 02:50 AM
I'm playing a bizzarly spec'd lizardfolk str grave cleric in a similar situation rn.

Being able to swim is awesome.
Being able to grapple people into the water and bonus action bite them with hungry jaws is even more awesome.

this also works with medkit thief rogue (expertise on athletics) and with druid (natural armor means not being able to wear metal armor isn't that big of a deal).

Arcangel4774
2019-05-26, 04:43 AM
Have you looked into the elf subrace: eladrin? Theyve got a built in misty step and the spring eladrin in particular can forfeit his own misty step to teleport a willing target. In other words you can just send allies out of harms way

Potato_Priest
2019-05-26, 02:02 PM
No, I never really considered eladrin, and wouldn’t want to play them simply because of the fluff (elves with added special snowflake). Thanks for the suggestion though!

Looking at what’s been said here, a triton thief rogue taking healer at level 4 is the way to go, but I might do one of the other suggestions if I get godlike stats. Thanks for the help, everybody!

moonfly7
2019-05-26, 02:11 PM
Whatever you do, by like 5 healer kits. Instant stabilize

MrStabby
2019-05-26, 02:11 PM
I am surprised Bard isn't higher up the list.

You get healing spells, feather fall, the mending cantrip, vicious mockery/cutting words seems a fitting for a swashbuckler.

You get a good amount of skills and can get expertise for athletics/acrobatics as fitting - because who wouldn't want to be an expert at swinging from the rigging.

If you go to level 6 then the college is pretty important. Swords seems a natural fit for the campaign type (you can still be a pretty good bow user) but lore can open up some options (boosting your magic with aquatic spells to play a preacher of a sea god for example).

swamp_slug
2019-05-26, 04:00 PM
I am surprised Bard isn't higher up the list.

Exactly my thoughts. Bard was the first class I thought of when reading the OP.

You get access to Cure Wounds and Healing Word and both Restoration spells and Magical Secrets can get you Revivify and/or Raise Dead. You also have the Charisma to make Inspiring Leader worthwhile and Song of Rest allows for improved healing during a short rest.

As to Colleges, Swords is the archetypal swashbuckler subclass, Valor and Lore can also be swashbuckler types. With Vicious Mockery and Cutting Words Guybrush Threepwood could be a Lore Bard.

Naanomi
2019-05-26, 04:01 PM
The triton rogue doesn’t get any healing until level 4, and doesn’t plan on going higher than 6... I wouldn’t call that much of a healer in the big picture

Potato_Priest
2019-05-26, 05:20 PM
The triton rogue doesn’t get any healing until level 4, and doesn’t plan on going higher than 6... I wouldn’t call that much of a healer in the big picture

That’s fair, vhuman would probably be the better choice. That or a caster class. What do bards get in the way of mobility and object interactions?

8wGremlin
2019-05-26, 05:58 PM
Can I ask why object manipulation is such an important concept for this build?

Potato_Priest
2019-05-26, 07:33 PM
Can I ask why object manipulation is such an important concept for this build?

Using the sails, using the ship, using the ropes and rigging for tricks, loading cannons. I basically foresee it being incredibly useful in ship combat.

Kane0
2019-05-26, 07:50 PM
Seconding Thief Rogue.

Bonus action cunning action + item use (ask your DM if you can use healing potions?), expertise, evasion/uncanny dodge, light armor so you don't sink, sneak attack at a distance, only Dex dependent, etc.
You just have to choose between a race that gets you swimming/water breathing or getting the healer feat faster. Shame you can't multiclass cause a fighter dip for second wind and mariner fighting style would have been great.

8wGremlin
2019-05-27, 12:57 AM
Using the sails, using the ship, using the ropes and rigging for tricks, loading cannons. I basically foresee it being incredibly useful in ship combat.

I would check your assumption with your DM just to make sure.
I'd hate for you to build a character around this concept and then have it not work.

Other than that, If you are set on that, then get the healer feat, and then look in to Ritual Caster (you'll need either wis, or Int of 13) you can then pick up some very useful ritual wizard spells, including find familiar (i'd pick an owl or hawk, and ask the dm if I can have it as a seagull or parrot) as you go up in levels at level 6 you'd be able to cast things like

Alarm (1st)
Find familiar (1st)
Tenser's Floating disk (1st)
Unseen Servant (1st)

Magic Mouth (2nd)
Silence (2nd)

Water Breathing (3rd)
Water Walk (3rd)
Leomund's Tiny Hut (3rd)

which might give you some extra versatility.

djreynolds
2019-05-27, 01:02 AM
A fighter might not be bad.

A battlemaster gets precision, you could possibly use this for firing

A scout fighter, from UA Kits of Old, get 3 free skills at 3rd level, in addition to background skills

And gets precision and can use SD for skill checks.

And the rangers natural explorer also

And 2 feats at 4th and 6th level

Mikaleus
2019-05-28, 04:20 AM
A Triton Bard. Valor or Swords.

I want to play in a pirate campaign so bad and that’d be my character 😆

Nhym
2019-05-28, 08:24 AM
You can reflavor a circle of the coast druid to be kind of like a Davy Jones in the Pirates of the Caribbean kind of character. Druids make awesome healers.

Potato_Priest
2019-05-28, 09:19 AM
You can reflavor a circle of the coast druid to be kind of like a Davy Jones in the Pirates of the Caribbean kind of character. Druids make awesome healers.

Do they make awesome healers without goodberry and healing spirit? Because I refuse to use either.

Goodberry ruins the entire survival mini game, while healing spirit is just way too good.

Bloodcloud
2019-05-28, 09:40 AM
I mean... make sure someone on the team is a Storm Sorcerer though. The wind change is not a ribbon suddenly (and comes at 6, so still within reach).

Combines well with inspiring leader (and I'd argue between spotting enemy ship and engagement, you got time for it often).

Aquatic capabilities with stealth capabilities is an interesting case. Sneaking on an anchored ship from underwater to blow the powder reserve could be VERY valuable. Especially with fire spells and misty step for some teleporting. Druid, aquatic race, all powerfull options here.

Nhym
2019-05-28, 09:52 AM
Do they make awesome healers without goodberry and healing spirit? Because I refuse to use either.

Goodberry ruins the entire survival mini game, while healing spirit is just way too good.

They have access to Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Mass Cure Wounds, Heal and Regenerate if you aren't going to go with those two. Obviously not as good as a Cleric, but you can still definitely heal. Alternatively you can also pick the Circle of Dreams. You can still retain the flavor but you can get a bunch of free Healing Words basically. I understand Goodberry for survival purposes but i'd be a shame if you didn't use healing spirit as you can re-flavor it to be like an ocean spirit or healing spring. If you think it's too strong, just nerf the numbers or only use it in-combat.

Druids very good in water campaigns because of Wild Shape too.

Potato_Priest
2019-05-28, 09:57 AM
Hmm, I am definitely liking the look of the storm sorcerer. It’s definitely got some of the mobility I’m looking for from tempestuous magic, and the wind control ability is awesome. Is there any way to get better object manipulation on it?

Naanomi
2019-05-28, 10:27 AM
Hmm, I am definitely liking the look of the storm sorcerer. It’s definitely got some of the mobility I’m looking for from tempestuous magic, and the wind control ability is awesome. Is there any way to get better object manipulation on it?
Very little influences object manipulation... thief getting to do it as a bonus action is the only non-magical example I can think of; and the rest is just summoning (Unseen Servant) or Telekinesis (Mage Hand) examples

Not a healing example, but an Arcane Trickster could easily man the rigging with Mage Hand skills... and if they were Gith they could do so with no obvious casting as well

2D8HP
2019-05-28, 10:35 AM
A PC that's both a physician and a Swashbuckler (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Blood_(1935_film)#Plot) you say?

https://anerdgirlsquest.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/captain-blood-article-header.png?w=699&h=312&crop=1
(It really was a good movie)

MrStabby
2019-05-28, 10:41 AM
A PC that's both a physician and a Swashbuckler (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Blood_(1935_film)#Plot) you say?

https://anerdgirlsquest.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/captain-blood-article-header.png?w=699&h=312&crop=1
(It really was a good movie)

http://drmcninja.com/ , for his nemesis?

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 10:49 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned Bard here?

Bards get Healing Word and/or Cure Wounds from level 1.

Bards are skill monkeys, and Party faces (like you mentioned you wanted)

Depending on which bard you pick, you can be effective in whichever you like - Casting, Charming, Combat.

And, finally, Bards are...Piratey.

Edit - I now see people mentioned Bard towards the back end of the thread.

Definitely i'd think the #1 choice here, if you're looking for a healer sailor who can specialize in some other skills, is bard.

Naanomi
2019-05-28, 12:55 PM
Bardic inspiration is also one of the few ways of getting bonuses to Water Vehicles and Navigation skill checks that may be more important in a nautical setting (along with Guidance and a small handful of other bonuses here and there)

8wGremlin
2019-05-28, 01:35 PM
Plus bard works very well with inspired leader, and healer as well.

Potato_Priest
2019-05-28, 02:23 PM
Plus bard works very well with inspired leader, and healer as well.

Well, everything works well with healer, but the charisma of a bard or sorc would definitely be good for inspiring leader.

I guess the reason I’m less excited about the bard than the sorc idea is the lack of mobility.

Mercurias
2019-05-28, 02:43 PM
I would probably run a Half-Elf or V. Human Bard. They have a lot of support/healing options, some armor, can easily be built for acrobatics, and they'd be great for a swashbuckling setting.

I would personally run as a Lore Bard and play as a trash-talking, shanty-singing, well-read renaissance man. REALLY play up those Acrobatics and wear out Vicious Mockery and Cutting Words.

If you want to be a much more relaxed sort of oddball herbalist type, a level in Life Cleric before swapping to Land Druid would serve you well. Scamper up the ropes to check out the horizon as a squirrel. Spy on enemy vessels as a bilgerat before escaping back to your own ship with information. Find out how many types of seaweed you can use to make yourself hallucinate. Make enough Goodberries to feed the entire crew! Good times!

Tallytrev813
2019-05-28, 03:02 PM
Well, everything works well with healer, but the charisma of a bard or sorc would definitely be good for inspiring leader.

I guess the reason I’m less excited about the bard than the sorc idea is the lack of mobility.

Mobility like run speed?
Be a variant human and take Mobile or something if thats a concern.
Or, take a race that has swimming or faster walking speed or something

There's easy ways to do it i'd think

MagneticKitty
2019-05-28, 03:06 PM
Dex based paladin
mariner fighting style if no swim speed from race. Uses light armor, rapier, shield and long bow
Magic initiate for mending and some minor water spell if desired. I'd go oath of ancients

Edit: you can find some neutral or chaotic god of the sea or maybe god of battle or thieves

You can do find steed, ask your dm if they will let you take an equal cr to warhorse water mount: giant sea horse, crocodile, or reef shark (small pc only). Maybe they can pull a small row boat for your group

Crocodile is fun for Peter pan references.

For race you could do:
lizardfolk (unarmored a.c. and hold breath and making things from monsters)
Tabaxi (themed after a tiger or fishing cat, both if which don't mind water) can climb up the ropes /mast be the lookout.
Goblin (light rogue flavor, can ride the shark)
Triton /sea elf /tritons/tortle (for obvious reasons)
Half elf / drow have good stats
Aarakocra (choose a crow design and be the lookout. Literal crow's nest.)

Bloodcloud
2019-05-28, 03:14 PM

Thief is the only one with an ability for object manipulation.

Otherwise, Unseen servant might be of use, or Tiny servant (although they are NOT strong). Those two are not on the sorcerer spell list, but unseen servant could be acquired with ritual casting. Mage hand can allow remote manipulation, but again lacks fine motor skill and strenght, unless you are an arcane trickster (still not strong). For strong manipulation ability, you need to go with like telekinesis or Bigby's hand (5th level spells, so level 9)

Warforged envoy could use integrated tool since technically vehicules are tools... but check with your DM how integrated with the boat you can be...

Rogue thief vhuman with healer feat works for you and check every boxes you set. There are other nice options that checks some of them or offer stuff you moght like. I think you got a quite comprehensive review of pirate-style options.

Keep us updated on what you end up playing!

moonfly7
2019-05-28, 03:24 PM
Do war forged need to breath? Because they have integrated armor and kick butt, so if they can't breath, go with a warforged whose magically connected to the ship.

Aaron Underhand
2019-05-28, 04:52 PM

Rogue thief vhuman with healer feat works for you and check every boxes you set.

This ^^

I've played a character with the Healer feat, and the amount of spell slots it frees up to allow other interactions is awesome. At first level in a party of 6 with two short rests a day it's often the equivalent of 18 first level "cure" spell slots, as well as infinite "wake up" effects. I was playing it on a bard - on a thief with the ability to do this as a bonus action it's the best combat medic possible.

MrStabby
2019-05-28, 05:10 PM

Otherwise, Unseen servant might be of use, or Tiny servant (although they are NOT strong). Those two are not on the sorcerer spell list, but unseen servant could be acquired with ritual casting. Mage hand can allow remote manipulation, but again lacks fine motor skill and strenght, unless you are an arcane trickster (still not strong). For strong manipulation ability, you need to go with like telekinesis or Bigby's hand (5th level spells, so level 9)

Warforged envoy could use integrated tool since technically vehicules are tools... but check with your DM how integrated with the boat you can be...

Rogue thief vhuman with healer feat works for you and check every boxes you set. There are other nice options that checks some of them or offer stuff you moght like. I think you got a quite comprehensive review of pirate-style options.

Keep us updated on what you end up playing!

There is also animate objects, get the objects to manipulate themselves. Also the image of taking charge of loose ropes on hostile ships and using them to drag crew overboard appeals. Or maybe a tiller that fights back to steer a ship onto the rocks...

The Kool
2019-05-28, 06:52 PM
it looks like the thief rogue vhuman would be your best bet, but I'm going to mention the Githyanki for their psionics (mage hand and Jump, later Misty Step). Their weapon proficiencies would bolster those of a class like the Sorcerer, too.

moonfly7
2019-05-28, 09:13 PM
it looks like the thief rogue vhuman would be your best bet, but I'm going to mention the Githyanki for their psionics (mage hand and Jump, later Misty Step). Their weapon proficiencies would bolster those of a class like the Sorcerer, too.

Yeah but hed be sacrificing water breathing, the ability to blind enemies with fog cloud, and to take out ships with wall of water of he didn't take triton.