vulnerable to many of the dangers that can
harm living creatures. For the duration of
the spell, the undead creature is subject to
extra damage from critical hits (and thus
sneak attacks), nonlethal damage, ability
drain, energy drain, fatigue, exhaustion,
and damage to its physical ability scores
(though it still lacks a Constitution score
and thus can’t take Constitution damage)
as if it were alive.
It loses its immunity to effects that
require a Fortitude save, as well as its
invulnerability to poison, sleep effects,
paralysis, stunning, disease, and death
effects. However, an undead affected by
this spell gains a bonus on its Fortitude
saves equal to its Charisma bonus (if
any). (The bonus doesn’t apply to Fortitude saves against effects that also affect
objects.) It must breathe, eat, and sleep
just like a normal creature (though the
last two aren’t likely to come into play
thanks to the spell’s short duration).
While it is under the effect of this
spell, both negative energy (such as
infl ict spells) and positive energy (such
as cure spells) heal damage to the undead
creature, rather than damaging it.
An undead creature affected by this
spell retains all other traits.

In your opinion, could an intelligent undead use this spell to enjoy carnal pleasures ( food, wine, drugs ecc. )?
Does it change his appearance? Does it develops lungs and stomach if is missing them?

Kayblis
2019-05-25, 03:53 PM
By the description, it doesn't actually give organs and parts that the creature doesn't have, since it still has CON --. Doesn't seem that it affects appearance either, other than the faint yellow glow.

It would be interesting if it allowed for reactivating lost senses, assuming the undead can't have them but still has the means to, like it has a tongue but can't normally feel taste. I'd rule Yes, it gives you effectively human senses, but the creature is still an undead with rotten flesh - if it has no tongue, it can't taste and such.

Conradine
2019-05-25, 04:00 PM
It must breathe, eat, and sleep
just like a normal creature

The problem is, if the undead does not regrows lungs, it should die.

Ah, another thing.
An intelligent undead with a Robe of Gentle Repose ( https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Robe_of_gentle_repose ) and a permanent Spark of Life would be more or less indistinguishable from a living?

Biggus
2019-05-25, 07:11 PM
Given that it doesn't gain a Con score, my guess would be that it gains a "virtual" metabolism rather than an actual one. Perhaps body parts made of force or something similar (the yellow glow) fill in any missing bits.

Btw, this spell was drastically reduced in level when they reprinted in the Spell Compendium.

Crake
2019-05-26, 04:05 AM
Given that it doesn't gain a Con score, my guess would be that it gains a "virtual" metabolism rather than an actual one. Perhaps body parts made of force or something similar (the yellow glow) fill in any missing bits.

Btw, this spell was drastically reduced in level when they reprinted in the Spell Compendium.

This is the fluff interpretation I would go with. It doesn't grow lungs, but it has to "breathe", it doesn't grow a spleen, but it is sneak attack-able, etc.

Zaq
2019-05-26, 09:50 AM
Regarding breathing, (many) undead can still talk without lungs, right? So there’s some kind of vaguely magic-related effect there allowing them to move air around. Spark of life might be said to piggyback off of said air-moving ability, requiring that they also move air “in” at roughly the same rate as a living air-breathing critter. No lungs needed.

I mean, it’s fantasy. I’m okay with a magic spell on a supernatural creature decoupling the ideas of “lungs” and “breathing” given everything else that’s already going on in this scenario.

Conradine
2019-05-26, 10:11 AM
Regarding breathing, (many) undead can still talk without lungs, right? So there’s some kind of vaguely magic-related effect there allowing them to move air around. Spark of life might be said to piggyback off of said air-moving ability, requiring that they also move air “in” at roughly the same rate as a living air-breathing critter. No lungs needed.

I mean, it’s fantasy. I’m okay with a magic spell on a supernatural creature decoupling the ideas of “lungs” and “breathing” given everything else that’s already going on in this scenario.

Ok.

Question: and if the undead is perfectly preservate ( lich or morgh with Robe of Gentle Repose ), and Spark of Life is cast, what happens?
Circulation, breath, metabolism...?