PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dungeons/Modules for Jungle Hexcrawl/Settlement-Building Game?

Malimar
2019-05-25, 06:21 PM
I'm building a (small) hexcrawl/colonization campaign in Pathfinder. As all know, any good hexcrawl must include Something Interesting in every hex. So I'm looking for small dungeons and/or small modules and/or generally interesting things to adapt to fill all the hexes.

The setting is this: a 500-year global flood subsided 20 years ago, leaving a handful of islands scattered around the world. One such island is claimed by the sahuagin, who have driven out all who try to colonize it, despite having no use for it themselves. So, just for starters, we could do ancient pre-flood ruins (the pre-flood area was controlled by oh let's say humans), we could do sahuagin/merfolk/triton ruins, we could do recent ruins from people who've tried unsuccessfully to colonize in the last 20 years.

The PCs are part of a human expedition to colonize this island. So it'll be part hexcrawl, part kingdom-building.

So basically I need to populate my hexes, of which I have about 55, most of which are coastal or jungle or both. So I'm looking for small dungeons and/or small modules and/or generally interesting things to adapt to fill all the hexes.

EDIT: They're starting at level 3. They'll be going to level [mumblemumble], so anything in the first ten level range is probably fine.

bean illus
2019-05-27, 12:13 AM
Find any old module, and cut-n-paste it together in new ways?

DrMartin
2019-05-27, 03:24 AM
hot springs island is a good tool for setting up an interesting hexcrawl on a tropical island. It includes a pretty cool dungeon generator, taking into consideration the forces at odds with each other on the island.

Palanan
2019-05-27, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Malimar
So basically I need to populate my hexes, of which I have about 55, most of which are coastal or jungle or both. So I'm looking for small dungeons and/or small modules and/or generally interesting things to adapt to fill all the hexes.

Since this is Pathfinder, I recommend you take a look at the Ruins of Azlant (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pathfinder+ruins+of+azlant) adventure path, especially the first three books. It’s set in a semitropical archipelago, with small temples, ancient ruins, and interesting encounters in abundance. Should have plenty of things you can drop in directly, as well as ideas you can develop further with your own spin.

DrMotives
2019-05-27, 08:24 AM
Huh. Tried to Google another site I still haven't found, but it looks like WotC did a random dungeon tool back in the day that's still up.

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/mapper/launcher.htm

You select parameters and let it go, this looks like something I'll be using myself.

Palanan
2019-05-27, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by DrMotives
...it looks like WotC did a random dungeon tool back in the day that's still up.

That's really nice for what it does. Looks like they never quite finished it, but it's great for kicking out small dungeons in a pinch, fully populated and ready to go.

The one downside I'm seeing is that it doesn't seem to generate a single image, more like a mosaic, so it might be a little involved to try to print this out at standard scale. Otherwise this looks like a great tool for the harried DM.

Malimar
2019-05-29, 05:19 PM
Random dungeon generators are my usual method, yes. Donjon is my go-to, but I'll definitely look into Hot Springs Island. We play a lot of adventure paths, but haven't played Ruins of Azlant, so that'll probably be a good source to raid, thanks.

Find any old module, and cut-n-paste it together in new ways?
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking to do. I'm looking for suggestions re: "any old module"s.

Xgya
2019-06-04, 01:19 AM
If you have access to Eyes of the Lich Queen, the first excursion into an underground temple is technically CR 4. A rather harsh CR 4, for having run the module myself, but fun.

The first part is outside the temple with a camp with various lizardfolk (along a few blackscale Adepts), while the inside is traps, loot and a rather ancient artifact.

Edit: Eyes is 3.5, of course, but the compatibility between Pathfinder and 3.5 is pretty awesome.