PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Ways to Get Ranger Spells

krackenjack
2019-05-25, 11:38 PM
Working on a ranged concept. Character concept works best going through Fighter (Eldritch Knight probably) or Cleric of War. But Ranger has so many tasty spells for ranged attackers. Magic Initiate doesn't help because Ranger doesn't have cantrips, plus some of the best spells are level 3+. Doesn't seem like there are many ways as of yet to poach spells - other than beg the DM. Only one I know of is Bard, but that doesn't fit my concept. Plus a 6 level dip just to pick up a couple spells...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Xihirli
2019-05-25, 11:44 PM
Really all your options are Ranger levels, Magical Secrets, or being a Thief and finding a bunch of Ranger Scrolls.
If you're after Hunter's Mark, Hex is similar and can be grabbed with a feat, but that's all you've got.

Tanarii
2019-05-26, 12:35 AM
, or being a Thief and finding a bunch of Ranger Scrolls. Theif can't use spell scrolls. That requires having the specific spell on your class's spell list, and the UMD Theif ability only removes class, race or level requirements.

Crgaston
2019-05-26, 03:56 PM
Theif can't use spell scrolls. That requires having the specific spell on your class's spell list, and the UMD Theif ability only removes class, race or level requirements.

Why wouldn’t that fall under removing class requirements?

Xihirli
2019-05-26, 03:59 PM
One might even say that this is the exact point of the Use Magic Device feature of the Thief subclass.

LudicSavant
2019-05-26, 04:05 PM
Working on a ranged concept. Character concept works best going through Fighter (Eldritch Knight probably) or Cleric of War. But Ranger has so many tasty spells for ranged attackers. Magic Initiate doesn't help because Ranger doesn't have cantrips, plus some of the best spells are level 3+. Doesn't seem like there are many ways as of yet to poach spells - other than beg the DM. Only one I know of is Bard, but that doesn't fit my concept. Plus a 6 level dip just to pick up a couple spells...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

What spells do you want specifically?

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-05-26, 06:34 PM
I'm assuming he wants at least Swift Quiver, as well as the "Fire more arrows than arrows you actually have" spells. He mentioned a 6 level dip, which is the 3rd level spells if he was doing Lore Bard.

I dunno. Those archery spells are kind of the only thing differentiating Ranger archers from other archers, which tend to be superior in the pure ranged damage area.

I went the War Cleric 2/Ranger X archer route and relegated myself to probably never getting the higher level Ranger archery spells, but having some cool ones along the way. The DM respecced me to War Cleric 2/Bloodhunter to accommodate some story events and ended up letting me find a magic quiver that let me cast Swift Quiver, Conjure Barrage, and Cordon of Arrows once a day once I reached level 12 to make up for putting a damper on my ranger plans.

The short of it is, either multiclass Ranger, take Bard, or ask your DM.

Kane0
2019-05-26, 07:20 PM
Ask your DM to swap the EK spell list and casting stat to ranger/wisdom.

Mortis_Elrod
2019-05-26, 11:23 PM
Take Ranger levels. I dislike the idea of poaching class specific spells from Ranger, that just seems really mean to the class. Like why even have it if anyone can just steal its thunder without the work.

Course if you dont care, ask DM. See if he can make something for you.

Or just take the L reflavor Bard for 6 or 10 levels.

Tanarii
2019-05-27, 08:56 AM
Why wouldn’t that fall under removing class requirements?
Hmmm, I thought I was posting info based on what I'd seen of Crawford's (unofficial tweet) feedback on the matter, but apparently he's been inconsistent about this one. Couple of tweets from him are quoted in the answer to the following:
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/89098/how-can-a-rogue-use-use-magic-device-to-cast-spells-from-scrolls