PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get pounce

Xan
2007-10-05, 11:38 AM
I was wondering, what ways are there to get the pounce ability, other than as a druid? Are there any spells or magic equipment that grant it? One of my party member is a monk, and it would make him a lot more powerful if he could get that flurry attack out more often.

Indon
2007-10-05, 11:40 AM
There's a variant Barbarian, the Lion Totem Barbarian, who receives Pounce at 1'st level.

If I recall, there's also a way to get Pounce with Incarnum, but damned if I remember what it is.

Keld Denar
2007-10-05, 11:46 AM
I wanna see a monk with pounce and the flying kick feat (extra d12 damage on a charge). Charging leaping flurry of feet!

Mechanics-wise, not really a great choice (bad class, bad feat)

But flavor-wise, this has bicycle kick (MORTAL COMBAT) written all over it!

Darrin
2007-10-05, 12:15 PM
I was wondering, what ways are there to get the pounce ability, other than as a druid? Are there any spells or magic equipment that grant it? One of my party member is a monk, and it would make him a lot more powerful if he could get that flurry attack out more often.

* Wildshape into an animal/dinosaur with pounce (Leopard, Lion or Deinonychus)
* Lion's Pounce feat (Complete Divine, requires Wildshape)
* Lion Totem Barbarian (Complete Champion)
* Snow Tiger Berserker feat (Unapproachable East, only light weapons)
* Catfolk Pounce feat (Races of the Wild, race must be Catfolk)
* Pouncing Charge (Tome of Battle, Tiger Claw 5 maneuver)

Note that the first two are also available to Rangers and Monks using alternate/variant base classes. You can also get Wild Shape via the Divine Minion template, but since that can be used at will rather than x/day, I'm not sure how that works with the Lion's Pounce feat.

Edit: Forgot Lion Tribe Warrior feat, from Shining South. Single light weapon works best, for some reason TWF only gets you two attacks.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-05, 12:18 PM
You could create, commission, or otherwise obtain a pair of boots of psionic lion's charging. The specifics of such would be up to you, (charges? x per day activation? always active?) and the cost of the item would reflect it.

RMS Oceanic
There's also Lion's Pounce (Level 2 Ranger spell, Spell Comendium) and Psionic Lion's Pounce (Level 3 Psychic Warrior Power, Expanded Psionics Handbook)

XBobbis
It's been said, but simplest approach is a one level dip in Lion Totem Barbarian from Complete Champion.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-10-05, 12:26 PM
It's been said, but simplest approach is a one level dip in Lion Totem Barbarian from Complete Champion.

Plus ye get a bonus rage 1/day, never a bad idea! :smallbiggrin:

Yeril
2007-10-05, 12:36 PM
Feral template seems good.

while the idea of a bloodthirsty snarling beast-man doesn't fit the monk (even though feral does give +2 wis!)

It gives abilitys that depend on your *HD not your RACIAL HD, meaning for that measly +1 LA dip, bought off with 3000exp, you get +4 str +2 con +2 wis, fast healing 2-5, speed increase, claws (1d8), pounce, rend, improved grab, rake...

*not 100% sure but It doesn't say Racial hd specificly.. does it?

brian c
2007-10-05, 12:50 PM
Feral template seems good.

while the idea of a bloodthirsty snarling beast-man doesn't fit the monk (even though feral does give +2 wis!)

It gives abilitys that depend on your *HD not your RACIAL HD, meaning for that measly +1 LA dip, bought off with 3000exp, you get +4 str +2 con +2 wis, fast healing 2-5, speed increase, claws (1d8), pounce, rend, improved grab, rake...

*not 100% sure but It doesn't say Racial hd specificly.. does it?

Feral is generally agreed to be one of the more broken things in Savage Species though, along with Anthropomorphic animal template. Good luck ever getting a DM to approve that. As +2 LA, it would be a bit more reasonable, but at +1 it's way too much (especially if you allow LA buyoff, then the character can buy it off and keep getting more HD-based benefits)

Person_Man
2007-10-05, 12:51 PM
Here's the classic opt board link (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=5305146). It's a couple years old, but still includes 20+ ways to get pounce.

The quickest way for a Monk to get Pounce is to be a Catfolk. If you're mid levels, you can PrC into Psionic Fist (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicFist.html) and use Psionic Lion's Charge.

Also, Monks suck. Had to be said.

Redblade
2007-10-05, 12:53 PM
Well as a monk you couldn't take a one level dip in lion barbarian could you? Or does the lion totem variant also have different alignment restrictions?

Person_Man
2007-10-05, 01:00 PM
Well as a monk you couldn't take a one level dip in lion barbarian could you? Or does the lion totem variant also have different alignment restrictions?

All Barbarians are Chaotic, including the variants. However, you can go Barb 1/Monk X, losing the ability to Rage, but keeping Pounce. However, that sort of multi-classing tends to be highly frowned upon by almost every gaming group.

darthpower
2007-10-05, 01:07 PM
There is a feat in the PHB2 that gives you pounce two handed pounce I think will check when I get home for the correct name

P.S. bard sing pounce of doom think about it and wonder

Darrin
2007-10-05, 01:10 PM
All Barbarians are Chaotic, including the variants. However, you can go Barb 1/Monk X, losing the ability to Rage, but keeping Pounce. However, that sort of multi-classing tends to be highly frowned upon by almost every gaming group.

To add:

Chaos Monk from Dragon #335 could multiclass with Barbarian (but the chaotic flurry thing is a little different). Also... I'm not sure, but didn't Oriental Adventures remove the alignment restriction from monks in that setting?

The unarmed variant of SwordSage is everything the monk should be and then some. It doesn't get flurry, but you can add that with Shou Disciple (although the 3.0 wording is kinda wonky) or feats like TWF/Snap Kick. Lion Totem Barbarian + Whirling Frenzy variant + SwordSage + TWF + Shadow Blade + BloodClaw Master = "Where would you like your fountain of blood?"

ocato
2007-10-05, 01:24 PM
Two Weapon Pounce allows you to attack with both weapons at the end of a charge with no penalty. However, it doesn't really work here. It's great for rogues or rogue/scouts though.

Kaelik
2007-10-05, 01:58 PM
Does nobody actually read the Catfolk Pounce Feat? It gives you Pounce only when your target is flat footed. That's an important qualification that no one ever seems to mention.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-05, 01:58 PM
If I recall, there's also a way to get Pounce with Incarnum, but damned if I remember what it is.

Shape Soulmeld (Sphinx Claws), Open Least Chakra (Hands). You now can full-attack with natural weapons at the end of a charge (which a monk's fists count as).

Indon
2007-10-05, 02:05 PM
* Snow Tiger Berserker feat (Unapproachable East, only light weapons)

I don't know the requirements for this other than the light weapons, but it seems this is the best choice for a monk.

A monk's unarmed attack, despite gaining strength and power attack bonuses as a normal weapon, is still considered to be a light weapon.

Darrin
2007-10-05, 03:13 PM
I don't know the requirements for this other than the light weapons, but it seems this is the best choice for a monk.

Whoops, I should have been clearer about the requriements.

Snow Tiger Berserker [Fighter, General]
Prerequisite: Dexterity 13, ability to rage, membership in the Snow Tiger berserker lodge (see Berserker Lodges Unapproachable East).

Also, listed under the Berserker Lodges, Knowledge [local - Rashemen]: 2.

The fluff says Rashemen is almost entirely human, but half-orc might be plausable. Your best build for a Snow Tiger Berserker monk would be to take two levels of Half-Orc Paragon for rage. Combined with the Overwhelming Attack variant monk style (Power Attack at 1st and Improved Bull Rush at 2nd), Leap Attack, Shock Trooper and Heedless Charge could be a very impressive build... add Iron Will for Fist of the Forest, Improved Natural Attack and Superior Unarmed Strike.

Otherwise, you can get rage via Wild Shape and Wolverine's Rage feat (Comp. Div.), or a variant class that offers Wild Shape (Ranger, Monk) or Rage (Druidic Avenger, UA and Raging Monk, Dragon #310). Raging Monk...? Can't recall if they changed the alignment there. I think I already mentioned the Chaos Monk earlier.

Oh, don't forget Unorthodox Flurry from the Dragon Compendium, allows you to designate a light weapon as a monk weapon and thus make it available for flurry. Add a one-level dip into Dervish and you could flurry with scimitars.

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-05, 03:34 PM
Just linking the lists of stuff (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=662842) because they're quite useful in this sort of thing.

Sir Giacomo
2007-10-05, 04:59 PM
For all those not wishing to go through all the links, in core the only way apart from being druid to get pounce are the polymorph spell effects, available to all via UMD.

- Giacomo

Roderick_BR
2007-10-05, 09:41 PM
I stumbled into this one by accident: Claws of the Leopard, in the Complete Adventurer book. Basically a +2 spiked gauntlet that gives you pounce when you make a charge attack using it. I'm not entirely sure if a monk can use it's own unarmed attack damage when wearing spiked gauntlets, though.
It's pretty expensive (over 38,000 gps), and there are no official version with more than the +2 bonus, but you could house rule a more expensive version.

UserClone
2007-10-06, 05:12 AM
As far as I know, Feral (or any racial template that gives abilities based on HD) refers to the HD you had BEFORE gaining the template - in other words, Racial HD. After that, it remains static. Come on, you really think you're getting all that for just +1LA? Not so much.:smallamused:

Curmudgeon
2007-10-06, 06:13 AM
All Barbarians are Chaotic, including the variants.Huh?
Barbarian

Alignment: Any nonlawful.
However, you can go Barb 1/Monk X, losing the ability to Rage, but keeping Pounce. However, that sort of multi-classing tends to be highly frowned upon by almost every gaming group. It's only a one step alignment shift from neutral (which will work just fine for a Barbarian) to lawful. You can go from NG to LG and make the switch without ruffling too many feathers.

This isn't like trying to pull off Paladin/Assassin.

The Duskblade
2007-10-06, 07:13 AM
Feral is generally agreed to be one of the more broken things in Savage Species though, along with Anthropomorphic animal template. Good luck ever getting a DM to approve that. As +2 LA, it would be a bit more reasonable, but at +1 it's way too much (especially if you allow LA buyoff, then the character can buy it off and keep getting more HD-based benefits)

Heck I made a guy in my campaign pay +3LA And his damage is crazy.

As far as I know, Feral (or any racial template that gives abilities based on HD) refers to the HD you had BEFORE gaining the template - in other words, Racial HD. After that, it remains static. Come on, you really think you're getting all that for just +1LA? Not so much.:smallamused:

By my reading? It appears to run off whatever hit dice you have. I'm looking at it right now.

UserClone
2007-10-06, 08:33 AM
I am not sure where I read this, but I think it was in Savage Species or a MM or so, and it was specifically referring to inherited templates, which Feral would have to fall under, since it isn't an acquired one.