PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Gesalt Spell-warped sniper build 3.5

Nosta
2019-05-26, 05:03 PM
The Game I was going play with restrictions on building sounded fun
until Everyone realize how hard it was to craft character enjoyable

so We changed a few things we added more books and added the Gesalt Rules for play characters and special Npcs

I will start at level 3 with a 30 point buy and a extra feat as a boon

I am Debating Rogue on 1 side / Warmage -sniper on the other
but i am also Debating Rouge / Meta-magic Sorcerer -sniper

but of course i know if i do wizard i can get in faster so i am unsure

I like a fun strong build

Mike Miller
2019-05-26, 05:17 PM
That sounds like a rather dramatic change to your character creation setup! Any idea what the others are building? You want to be a blaster, I take it?

DMVerdandi
2019-05-26, 07:00 PM
The Game I was going play with restrictions on building sounded fun
until Everyone realize how hard it was to craft character enjoyable

so We changed a few things we added more books and added the Gesalt Rules for play characters and special Npcs

I will start at level 3 with a 30 point buy and a extra feat as a boon

I am Debating Rogue on 1 side / Warmage -sniper on the other
but i am also Debating Rouge / Meta-magic Sorcerer -sniper

but of course i know if i do wizard i can get in faster so i am unsure

I like a fun strong build

Okay... So if your DM is cool with it, Ask if you can use the Spell point wizard from arcana unearthed. And we will start the build from there. If none of the wizard ACF's are accepted, just go with a vanilla wizard.

Factotum 1/ Wizard [With spontaneous Divination & Eidetic Spellcaster]1
(This lets you trade any spell for a divination spell...that you know as per errata. Screw errata. And eidetic spell caster makes it so you can prepare without a spell book. Factotum is there so you can have all skills as class skills with able learner)

Hunter Spirit Lion totem barbarian 1/Wizard 2"
(This will trade rage and fast movement, for favored enemy and pounce)

Spellthief 1/ wizard 3
(This gets you the sneak attack you need to get into spell warp sniper. Take master spell thief so you can add caster level to spells you can steal, not necessarily needing to ever take another level in it)

Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Spellwarp sniper 1
(Sneak attack fighter has better hit die than rogue thus this build)
Sneak Attack Fighter 2 / Spellwarp sniper 2

Sneak Attack Fighter 3 / Spellwarp sniper 3

Sneak Attack Fighter 4 / Spellwarp sniper 4

Sneak Attack Fighter 5 / Spellwarp sniper 5

Sneak Attack Fighter 6 / Abjurant Champion 1
(Abjurant champion gives you better usage of mage armor and such)
Sneak Attack Fighter 7 / Abjurant Champion 2

Sneak Attack Fighter 8 / Abjurant Champion 3

Sneak Attack Fighter 9 / Abjurant Champion 4

Sneak Attack Fighter 10 / Abjurant Champion 5

Barbarian 2 / Arcane Trickster 1
(Finally, you come back to barbarian for more damage reduction, D12,And full BAB. Arcane trickster progresses your sneak attack, gives good skill points, and full caster progression)
Barbarian 3 / Arcane Trickster 2

Barbarian 4 / Arcane Trickster 3

Barbarian 5 / Arcane Trickster 4

Barbarian 6 / Arcane Trickster 5

Barbarian 7 / Arcane Trickster 6

Barbarian 8 / Arcane Trickster 7

Like, it's modded out, but in a great way. You are going to have tons of HP and BAB, as well as more than decent skills, Full wizard Casting without a spell book, and with spontaneous divination, Spell warping, Great sneak attack progression, Damage Reduction, and favored enemy [Favored enemy Spellcasters FTW].
Oh, and you can pounce.

Going ham and learning as many combat relevant spells as possible just makes you a monster. Using that roguish warrior side alongside the very tricky casting side kind of brings out a flavor of a unstoppable hitman. I am watching John Wick's marksmanship trainer videos, and this build is very calm cool, collected with nerves of steel. He's got a savage brutality, but is still very much trained in the arcane arts, as well as mundane skills.

He can stand and bang, or he can be completely sneaky, Shooting spells like blindness out like bullets, Charging and just crushing an enemy with a barrage of sneak attacks.
And then you still are a full wizard at the end of the day. Good Grief.

Nosta
2019-05-26, 07:00 PM
That sounds like a rather dramatic change to your character creation setup! Any idea what the others are building? You want to be a blaster, I take it?

Ya I know lol.

Yep I like to be a blaster but am Torn between warmage and metamagic Sorcerer

I am waiting to see if halting sub levels will be allowed for my Rouge side

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-05-26, 07:15 PM
You absolutely want to use Sorcerer or another spontanous class. Warmage can work, but Sorcerer would be best. This is because a full-round action spell that makes multiple attacks, such as a spontaneously cast spell with a metamagic feat, gets to apply precision damage such as sneak attack on every shot (Rules Compendium). So Scorching Ray with Invisible Spell (+0 metamagic) sneak attacks on every hit. Split Ray adds an extra attack for a +2 adjustment, you can take Practical Metamagic to make it only a +1 adjustment.

On the subject of metamagic, I'd also consider taking Twin Spell (with Practical Metamagic), Arcane Thesis: Scorching Ray, and maybe Energy Substitution in case you're up against something immune to that. Empower increases the entire variable numeric effect by 50%, so even if it's increased by sneak attack the total damage gets that increase, a lesser rod is only 9k gp. So Arcane Thesis reduces metamagic costs on the spell by one per metamagic feat. Split Ray + Practical is free, Twin Spell + Practical is +2, Invisible Spell reduces it by one, and Energy Substitution or a Lesser Rod of Empower reduces it to a zero total metamagic cost.

Starting out, consider taking Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell, learn Acid Splash, and you can spend two 1st level slots to cast it heightened as a 2nd level spell. This allows you to take the Acidic Splatter reserve feat at 1st level, but it's only usable while you have two available 1st level spell slots. That will also allow you to spend two 2nd level spell slots to cast a spell heightened to 3rd level, qualifying you for Spellwarp Sniper earlier than normal.

You can get Craven to add your character level to your damage when sneak attacking, Point-Blank Shot applies to all ranged attacks within 30 ft., and Knowledge Devotion can also give you a bonus on spell attacks. I'd go Human with Able Learner so you won't need to worry about buying cross-class skill ranks. For the build, you can't really go wrong with Rogue if you want to keep it simple. You can do something absurd like Rogue 1/ Psychic Rogue (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) 1/ Thug (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighterVariantThug)+Sn eak Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter) 1/ Spellthief 1, which gets 4d6 sneak attack in four character levels. Maybe grab a few Swordsage after that, which gives decent skills and some amazing utility maneuvers and stances.