PDA

View Full Version : Hybridizing Gestalt and Multiclass rules

Greywander
2019-05-26, 07:07 PM
Introduction

So a while back I was playing in a game with my sister where we both played gestalt characters since it was just the two of us. Perhaps in combination with leveling up too quickly and not being an experienced player, I found I just had too many new features, and would often forget about an ability at times when it would have been useful. Getting too many options too fast meant I was forgetting that I had them and overlooking them in my ever expanding arsenal of abilities.

If I were to play another game with a gestalt character, I think I might like to do things a bit differently, such as staggering the class levels so that I don't gain levels in both classes at the same time. That way, I'd have time to adjust and adapt to the new features of each class. Thinking about this, though, it sounds a lot like a variation on multiclassing, but where a multiclass doesn't increase your character level. This gave me an idea, and is more or less what this thread is about.

So why would it be appealing to play a gestalt character? Aside from increasing your versatility in a small party, it also lets you gain the same benefits of a dip without hurting your main class progression, and without worrying about what you'll be "giving up" at 20th level. Thus, what I want to do is allow a character to multiclass without hurting their main progression or forcing them to "give up" high level class features later on (but also without making them too powerful too quickly). Basically, so you don't have to worry about the "later". Here's what I came up with.

Gestalt?

I'm assuming most of you know what this is, but in case you don't: A gestalt character is a character that gains levels in two (or more) different classes at the same time. At 1st level, you can pick two different classes and get the features of both. Likewise, when you gain a level, you get to choose two different classes to increase your level in. For example, you can be a fighter/wizard who gains levels in both classes every time they level up.

What I'm doing in this thread is deliberately looking at a way to do a gestalt character differently. So, you no longer get that second class level "for free", but have to purchase it with XP. This isn't really a gestalt anymore, not quite, but once the XP fee has been paid it's going to look a lot like one.

Da Rules?

Here's the core rules:

Players can still multiclass as normal, which is important. You don't automatically have to be 20th level in any one class to be a 20th level character.
When you gain a level, you can instead gestalt into another class, raising your level in that class without raising your character level.
Since gestalting doesn't increase your level, the XP cost to gain a level doesn't increase.
While gestalting doesn't increase your level, it is otherwise treated like multiclassing. You must meet the same restrictions, and gain the same proficiencies.
You still can't gestalt subclasses. If you want to mix and match subclasses, you'll need additional homebrew.
You can gestalt into as many classes as you like. You can actually be 1st level in every class (3300 XP cost, 11 * 300), and your non-gestalt party members will only be 4th level.
You cannot gestalt into a class level that is higher than your character level. If you are 3rd level, you can't gestalt into the 4th level of a class. You must fully level up first.
There is no distinction between "real" class levels and gestalt class levels. Things like HP gain are affected, but you still count as being that level of that class.
Once you hit 20th level, you can spend epic boons to continue to gestalt into other classes.

Because your character level does not increase:

As noted above, it takes the same amount of XP to level up again, instead of increasing, see below for more detail.
Your proficiency bonus does not increase.
You don't gain hit points or hit dice normally (though see below).
Spell slots/caster level gets wonky, see below.

We'll look into some of the particulars noted above. Some of these will depend on what rules you're using for gestalt characters. No such official rules exist, but I've thoroughly (perhaps too thoroughly) explored the subject and various options for gestalt characters here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M1klFB07A7zeulumCZ6jqyd2XM8qkk2LaMVfC0sk_UY/edit?usp=sharing).

XP Cost
As noted above, the XP cost to advance does not increase after you gestalt. A 3rd level character, for example, has 900 XP and needs 2700 XP to advance to 4th level. This means they need to gain 1800 XP to advance. They can instead choose to gestalt into another class without gaining a level, and thus still only need 1800 XP to advance to 4th level. To put it another way, with 3600 XP (2 * 1800) they can gestalt once and then go up to 4th level.

This does add some cost/benefit analysis to your character advancement. You can have more class levels for a smaller XP cost by gestalting as early and often as you can, but this comes at the cost of your overall level progression. You're never prevented from fully advancing to 20th level, but it will take a lot longer (and the campaign might not run that long). On the other hand, if you wait until you're a high level before you gestalt, it will be much more expensive to do so.

One of the consequences of this is that players will be encouraged to dip early, and not very far. Getting Cunning Action or Action Surge on any build won't be too expensive, but getting Aura of Protection will be a lot more expensive. Thus, this allows players to grab low level class features that they want, but makes higher level features more prohibitive.

The minimum XP cost to raise every class to 20 is 3,798,000 XP. By comparison, it only costs 355,000 XP, less than 1/10, to get from 1 to 20 without gestalting. As noted, waiting to gestalt increases the XP cost to do so, so you want to immediately gestalt all classes to 1st level, and only then raise your character level to 2nd, and so on. However, the epic boons at 20th level only cost 30,000 XP, which is less than the cost to level up from 15th level and onward. Thus, once you hit 15th level, you want to continue without gestalting all the way to 20th level, then spend epic boons to raise your other classes to 20. There's also a similar oddity where it costs less XP to advance at 11th level than it does at 9th or 10th, so once you reach 9th level it's better to skip to 11th without gestalting.

I want to stress that whiteroom analysis looks a lot better than actual practice. Yes, you can get everything, technically speaking, but will you? Pretend that each campaign has an XP cap, only a certain amount of XP will ever be handed out (which is true, as the campaign will end at some point). For most campaigns, the XP cap doesn't even allow you to get to 20th level. For those that do, the less you gestalt, the sooner you will get there. And in general, the less you gestalt, the more likely you are to actually make it to 20. The only real problem is how many classes have their features frontloaded.

Hit Points and Hit Dice
I prefer to work things out in such a way that it doesn't matter what order you do something in. Since you can roll for HP, this makes it tricky, but I've found a solution that is "good enough" by yielding the same average HP. When you gain a real level up, you gain HP as normal, but when you gain a gestalt level in a class, you instead gain HP based on that class's hit die:

For a d6, you get no HP.
For a d8, you get +1 HP.
For a d10, you get +2 HP.
For a d12, you get +3 HP.

This works out to the same average HP regardless of what order you gain class levels, and doesn't distinguish between "real" levels and gestalt levels. The only thing that affects your final average is what class you started as at 1st level.

You always have a number of hit dice equal to your character level. Thus, gestalting doesn't give you more hit dice. You can, however, replace a smaller hit die with a larger one, even retroactively. A wizard that gestalts into barbarian can replace their d6 with a d12. Likewise, a barbarian that gestalts into fighter, then later gains a wizard level, can retroactively take the fighter's hit die instead of the wizard's.

Again, this means you always end up with 20d12 hit dice if you gestalt 20 levels into every class, regardless of what order you do it in, or which class levels are "real" and which are gestalt levels.

Spell Slots and Caster Level
I know I'm going to catch flak for this, but the easiest way to do this is to count all class levels, real or gestalt, toward your caster level. This means you can technically be a 6th level caster at 1st level (by being 1st level in the 5 different full casters, as well as the two half casters), which would only cost you 1800 XP (start with 1 class, plus 6 * 300). Your non-gestalt party members will be 3rd level on the way to 4th. Keep in mind, though, that even though you have 3rd level spell slots, you still only know 1st level spells in each class.

The flip side of this is that your caster level is still capped at 20. This means that a 10th level wizard who gestalts 10 levels into cleric has all the spell slots they're ever going to get.

There's a few different ways to handle spell slots and caster level, but those are a different discussion. An alternative would be to cap your caster level at your character level, with the "extra" caster levels only being applied once you raise your character level.

Would you use this?

There's a potential for abuse due to the low cost of gestalting early on and how many classes frontload their features, but this isn't really a new problem and already existed with the standard multiclassing. It's debatable whether this is a bug or a feature, though, as it does make it easier for players to grab character-defining abilities quickly and early before settling in to focus on a specific class. There's probably ways this could be tweaked or improved, so I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

My two initial thoughts are that we could put a cap on how many times you can gestalt (e.g. once per level), or make each subsequent gestalt level cost more XP that resets when you gain a real level, discouraging wide builds such as dipping one level into every class. Another idea might be that (pre-20, at least) you have to spend a real level to multiclass into a class before you can spend gestalt levels to improve that class, thus each new class you want to gestalt into necessitates increasing your character level, and thus the cost to gestalt.

Tiadoppler
2019-05-26, 07:58 PM
What an interesting idea. I utterly loathe it.

I usually like the idea of gestalt characters in small campaigns because it does allow great versatility in a small party (1-2 PCs), but I wouldn't call this leveling method 'gestalt'. Instead, it seems like a cheaper and easier way of taking lots low-level dips for powerful features. I realize that you mentioned that in your post, but that idea is not one that I can approve of. Some multiclass dips are already very, very powerful, and making those low-level side excursions into Fighter/Warlock/Paladin even cheaper in xp cost is just unnecessary.

This does not play nicely with milestone leveling, and I don't like that.

This will likely give players a lot of new, different abilities early-game, if they can even navigate these rules for leveling up. That will not be user friendly, especially for new players.

Given a choice, I think a more valuable leveling modification would be to give greater incentive for players to avoid 'dips' and stick with their second class for more levels.

Overall, I just can't tell what sort of campaign would use this leveling method. Did you have something in mind? This is much less powerful than gestalt (but gestalt is meant for smooshing two PC ability sets into one body for small-party campaigns). But it's more powerful than standard leveling, and makes it more likely for players to plan their characters around having 1-2 levels in several classes (as if they didn't do that enough already).

As a DM, I would not use this leveling method. If I had new players, I'd make sure to do a low-powered campaign with (mostly, until I knew they could handle multiple power sets) single-classed characters. If I had a very small party of experienced players, gestalt is a decent solution. If I had a larger party, but they wanted to get into epic adventures and surpass level 20 in terms of power, I'd just wave my DM hand and remove the level cap (You can still only get 20 levels in any one class).

intregus
2019-05-26, 10:20 PM
It's an interesting idea....I've actually played a game in 3.5 that used this.

Sorry to be "that guy" but here's the problem.

At levels 7+ 300-3000 exp is nothing. Its easily attainable and opens up the system for abuse. Mass abuse.

I like where your heads at though and if it works for your play group is the only thing that matters!

Greywander
2019-05-27, 12:25 AM
What an interesting idea. I utterly loathe it.
Is this the new "Thanks, I hate it"?

I usually like the idea of gestalt characters in small campaigns because it does allow great versatility in a small party (1-2 PCs), but I wouldn't call this leveling method 'gestalt'.
Yeah, it's not really that similar to a gestalt anymore. True to the thread title, it really is more of a hybrid of gestalt and multiclass, specifically in that one can multiclass to create a gestalt-esque character. So it's closer to multiclassing.

This does not play nicely with milestone leveling, and I don't like that.
True, any system that puts PCs at uneven XP levels won't work well with milestone leveling. You could modify milestone leveling to use a catch-up system, e.g. it costs, say, 10 XP to level, regardless of level, and the DM hands out 1 or 2 XP per plot point, but if you are "behind" you get extra XP, either double or just 1 extra each time it gets handed out. Not super elegant, but it gets the job done.

This will likely give players a lot of new, different abilities early-game, if they can even navigate these rules for leveling up. That will not be user friendly, especially for new players.
I think the complexity lies more in how gestalt levels are handled, which is a problem you're going to have in any gestalt system. The only major addition I've made on top of that is how gestalt levels are acquired. To wit, when you gain a level, you can choose to either gain a level normally, or to reset your level back and gain a gestalt level in a class.

Given a choice, I think a more valuable leveling modification would be to give greater incentive for players to avoid 'dips' and stick with their second class for more levels.
While the system I proposed above is more like multiclassing with a bit of gestalt, we could go the other direction. Instead of leveling up once and getting two class levels, a gestalt character could need to level up twice to gain a "real" level and get one class level each time. E.g. at 3rd level you need 1800 XP to reach 4th level, but after you gain 1800 XP you get to pick one class level then reset back to 3rd level. After gaining 1800 XP the second time, you pick another class level and get to go up to 4th level. This is similar to what I was talking about in the intro of the OP about staggering your gestalt classes so you don't get both at once. It also works fine with milestone leveling.

This doesn't really encourage you to stick with both your gestalt classes, the motivations for sticking with a class are pretty much the same as with a single classed character. Although a gestalt can more easily afford to use their second class levels to dip a lot, as they've still got one solid main class. It does make it a little harder get one level in every class, though.

If I had a larger party, but they wanted to get into epic adventures and surpass level 20 in terms of power, I'd just wave my DM hand and remove the level cap (You can still only get 20 levels in any one class).
This is another solution I've thought of, allowing players to spend epic boons to buy class levels. Coincidentally, the way these extra class levels are handled is the same way I'd handle gestalt class levels, e.g. your proficiency bonus doesn't get higher and you don't get more hit dice. This is fine, too, although it does mean you have to wait until you hit 20th level. If you could get extra class levels earlier, it would open up more tactical options while you're still weak. I mean, even if you do have 1 level in every class, if you're still a 1st level character you're going to go down easy and won't hit very hard.

I think it could be interesting to allow the option to deliberately delay your level progression in order to get more class features, a sort of "weak, but versatile" character build.

It's an interesting idea....I've actually played a game in 3.5 that used this.

Sorry to be "that guy" but here's the problem.

At levels 7+ 300-3000 exp is nothing. Its easily attainable and opens up the system for abuse. Mass abuse.

I like where your heads at though and if it works for your play group is the only thing that matters!
The only time you would be able to spend 300 XP to gain a gestalt level is at 1st level. At 7th level, it costs 11,000 XP to advance, making it more difficult to take gestalt levels. Or, did you mean that a PC could burn 3300 XP grabbing one level in every class, then get caught up with the rest of the party around 7th level or so? Yeah, that could be an issue, but you do have to actually get there first. Imagine still being a 1st level character when your party is all 4th level.

Requiring you to spend a real level to multiclass into a class before you can take gestalt levels in that class, or at least limiting the number of classes you can have levels in to your character level, would help alleviate this. If you want to dip into three classes, you have to be at least a 3rd level character. If you want to dip into all 12, you have to be at least 12th level, which is pretty late, and by then it will cost a lot of XP to raise that last class from 1 to 12.

Honestly, I should probably just learn to play a classless system where you can already pick and choose what features you want when you have enough XP. I've been eyeing Fudge, which looks pretty interesting and a lot more manageable than GURPS, but I haven't sat down and figured out more than just the basics of the system. I think I keep coming back to 5e because I do like to see how I can bend the rules to create interesting and powerful builds, and something like a gestalt character really opens up your options.

intregus
2019-05-27, 07:24 AM
I must have missed the part where it costs the same amount of xp as the level you're at. That could work. You should play test it and let us know how it goes, I'd be very interested in hearing how it works in practice!

If you're looking for classless is suggest you check out TORG Eternity.

Its super fun. Some mechanics are clunky in my opinion but its still a super fun classless system that works for any setting.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-05-27, 07:43 AM
This is a fascinating idea-- well done. It reminds me of old-school dual classing, only, you know...functional. I have no idea how it would work in practice, but I'd absolutely love the chance to find out.

Vulsutyr
2019-05-27, 09:49 PM
Honestly, I should probably just learn to play a classless system where you can already pick and choose what features you want when you have enough XP. I've been eyeing Fudge, which looks pretty interesting and a lot more manageable than GURPS, but I haven't sat down and figured out more than just the basics of the system. I think I keep coming back to 5e because I do like to see how I can bend the rules to create interesting and powerful builds, and something like a gestalt character really opens up your options.

If you are looking for a classless system but like 5e, I suggest the Adventurer class. https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-L7MxaZV26WwHwzaP-eD

All features and advancement are turned into feats that can be taken mostly at any time. I haven’t tried it but it looks awesome for a full party. It allows characters to get stuff like Action Surge and 1st level spellcasting with little investment.

Greywander
2019-05-29, 02:50 AM
If you are looking for a classless system but like 5e, I suggest the Adventurer class. https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-L7MxaZV26WwHwzaP-eD

All features and advancement are turned into feats that can be taken mostly at any time. I haven’t tried it but it looks awesome for a full party. It allows characters to get stuff like Action Surge and 1st level spellcasting with little investment.
What a glorious abomination, I love it. I've actually thought of doing almost exactly this, turning all class features into feats, but never actually sat down and did it. Not sure I agree with the exact implementation here, for example, each feat being worth only 1d6 sneak attack damage, so the balance is a bit off. Seems like it wouldn't be difficult to tweak the individual feats that seem too weak or strong.

Greywander
2019-06-05, 03:25 PM
After thinking about this a bit more, I do have to admit that there is a problem. There's not really any reason not to dip at least 1 or 2 levels into every class, as each class has some great benefits to offer at those early levels. Sure, it will set back your level progression, but it really will give you the most bang for your buck, so to speak. It's just the most efficient way to spend XP, and by 10th level or so you'll hardly delay in your progression.

Coming back to this comment, I think I do have a possible solution. What if we were to tie the number of classes you could have levels in to your proficiency bonus (unmodified, so the Ioun Stone of Mastery would affect this)? So, at 1st level, you can gestalt into a second class, but no more. When you reach 5th level, you can gestalt or multiclass into a third class, but now it costs more XP since you're a higher level. Once you reach 17th level you can have levels in only half of the available classes. Once you hit 20 (or maybe just at 17), you can take levels in any and all classes, but by then the XP cost will be much more significant than it was at 1st level.

(And yes, this would need to apply to multiclassing as well, as we're specifically trying to not distinguish between class levels from "real" levels or gestalt levels. We don't want to have to keep track of which classes we gained via multiclassing and which ones we gained via gestalting. That said, most multiclass builds shouldn't be affected by this, as few builds take levels in more than two or three classes.)

This has the effect of forcing us to consider more carefully which classes we want to gestalt into. Sure, there's a lot I could gain by dipping one or two levels into any class, but since I can't dip into every class I have to choose more carefully. Furthermore, since I can't dip into a third class until 5th level, I'm encouraged to take a second class that I want to take to at least 4th level. Then, my second or third class should be one I want to take to 8th level, etc. If I want to take a class to 12th level, e.g. fighter if I want three attacks, it should be my first, second, or third gestalt class, on top of my main class.

This restriction shifts our thinking from low level dips to mid or high level dips. A lot of classes get a really nice feature somewhere around levels 8 to 14, so since we're limited on how many classes we can take, but not on how deep we can take them, it pushes us to choose classes we would want to take to that mid level range or higher. Cleric is fantastic as a single level dip on just about any class, but it's less compelling to take cleric to mid to high levels except on certain builds. Meanwhile, monk isn't too popular for dipping, but Diamond Soul looks really appealing if you can stick with it for long enough. Warlock is often a coveted dip for Agonizing Blast or Pact of the Chain, but it still scales nicely to the mid levels with short rest spell slots. And of course I don't need to point out that a fighter 12 / paladin 12 / Hexblade bladelock 12 can be doing pretty insane damage adding 1d8 Improved Smite damage and Lifedrinker to three attacks.

Now, you don't always have to take your other classes to higher levels, and you don't even need to take your main class to higher levels (multiclassing is still an option). You could still do something like a classic padlock, paladin 11 / warlock 9, with no gestalt levels. But, what's the point? You reach 20th level a bit sooner? By (basically) doubling your XP cost, you can raise up a second class alongside your main class, and be a paladin 12 / warlock 12 with about the same XP cost that it would take to hit 16th level, surpassing the non-gestalt build and reaching it sooner. While straight class builds might chafe at the delay, half-and-half multiclass builds like the padlock find it much more efficient to gestalt the second class to high levels.

So, what I expect this change to do is as follows:
Your main class will always go to 20. You don't have to, as you can multiclass, but there's not much reason not to. We've moved from a level cap to a class cap, so any class we have levels in can go to 20 as long as we have enough XP.
At 1st level, you'll gestalt into one other class. You'll take this class to mid to high levels, perhaps even all the way to 20, but probably at least to 12.
At 5th level, you gestalt into another class, but only to dip. You might dip as deeply as 6th to 8th level. In any case, you'll get your deepest dip out of the way here.
At 9th and 13th level, you'll dip into another class you only want 1 or 2 levels in, as it's becoming too expensive to go deeper.
By 17th level, it's cheaper XP-wise to just wait until 20th level. Once you hit 20, you'll probably start by grabbing all the dips you didn't get earlier, then gradually raise levels according to the classes that best support your build.

I think I actually like this. Normally, I wouldn't want to put restrictions on things like multiclassing, but honestly when you open up the options too much it doesn't get you more interesting builds as it does cookie cutter builds that grab all the good stuff. By putting some restrictions in place, it forces people to consider their options, and makes for less cookie cutter builds.