PDA

View Full Version : spell like abilities

techpriest35
2019-05-26, 11:47 PM
hey all. i know it has been a while since my latest post.anyways i was reading a website with 3.5 SRD stuff. i came to a section that said there are unique spell like abilities but did not list the unique spell like abilities.it said the unique spell like abilities do not copy effects from an existing spell. so i was wondering if you all could save me some time. do you have a list of unique spell like abilities and which books they came from(full book names please i dont know all the abbreviations).i do not want to look up every monster that has spell like abilities, then cross reference those spell like abilities with the various spells in all the books. i have a massive collection of pdfs and that would take a very long time. any links to a list already in production or a place that has the info is also acceptable if you do not want to cross reference the spell like abilities and spell lists. thanks for any and all help you guys can provide.

ayvango
2019-05-27, 12:09 AM
Warlock invocations are spell-like abilities. And they are not based on spells.

Zaq
2019-05-27, 01:23 AM
Likewise, all truenamer utterances (Tome of Magic) are SLAs, and while a few of them reference spells, all of them have distinct attributes.

Even in the PHB, things like a paladin's special mount exist (it's technically a SLA for some reason!).

Shadowcaster mysteries (Tome of Magic) are sometimes treated as SLAs (they change classification as the shadowcaster levels up), and they're often unique.

There's a good number in the monster books as well.

Is there something in particular you're seeking to do with these SLAs-that-don't-mimic-specific-spells?

Thurbane
2019-05-27, 06:59 PM
If we're talking monster abilities, that would be quite a long list, which I don't think anyone has previously compiled.

I might be interested in doing so one day, but it would be very time consuming.

Vizzerdrix
2019-05-27, 07:02 PM
If we're talking monster abilities, that would be quite a long list, which I don't think anyone has previously compiled.

I might be interested in doing so one day, but it would be very time consuming.

Could tie it into an Assume Supernatural Ability handbook of some sort, perhaps. That could be interesting.

techpriest35
2019-05-31, 12:25 PM
i was talking about monster abilities since the srd specifically mentioned them.i agree it would take a long time to compile thats why i was curious if some one else had already done so.im just trying to find some cool new spell like abilities that i have never heard of. was thinking of making a super epic tome of my fav monster abilities spell like abilities and spells. when i looked at spell like abilities i saw they had unique abilities that were not directly related to a spell.this was something i must have glanced over in the PHB and or DMG. i never knew there were unique monster spell like abilities that didnt work like a listed spell in the PHB

MisterKaws
2019-05-31, 02:35 PM
There are too many to count. Invocations, Utterances, Mysteries, Soulmelds, just those alone are a good five hundred together, and there are monsters which use quite a few of those. That's not to mention class abilities, and the actual monsters themselves. Searching for all of these would mean scouring through around twenty thousand pages of content and listing every single instance in which a unique spell-like effect is written. That would net you a list of a few thousand entries.

Crake
2019-05-31, 04:02 PM
Just open up a (legally bought of course) pdf of the various monster manuals and just search “(Sp)” and youll find heaps

techpriest35
2019-06-04, 03:15 AM
thanks for the advice guys. i think i might compile a list of unique spell like abilities from monsters in the future when i get bored.