PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Triton Feats

WorldOnFire03
2019-05-27, 12:49 AM
I’m still pretty new to D&D so I really rely on forums like this to get advice.

My Triton barbarian recently hit level 8 and I want to take anfeat rather then upgrade my stats since it’d have minimal effects.

I’m currently stuck between 3 feats:

- Charger: When you use your action to Dash, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack or to shove a creature. If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line immediately before taking this bonus action, you either gain a +5 bonus to the attack’s damage roll (if you chose to make a melee attack and hit) or push the target up to 10 feet away from you (if you chose to shove and you succeed).

- Skilled: You gain proficiency in any combination of three skills or tools of your choice

- Triton Deep Magic: You master more of the magic of elemental air and water. You learn the create or destroy water spell and can cast it as a 1st level spell at will, without expending a spell slot. You also learn warding wind and water breathing, each of which you can cast once without expending a spell slot. You regain the ability to cast those two spells in this way when you finish a long rest. Cha-risma is your spellcasting ability for all three spells.

The triton feat would be really cool and I always like having more spells, BUT my charisma is pretty low so spells with a save aren’t great and we have an alchemy jug that can create water whenever we need it.

Charger would be great because I could move 80ft in a dash and still get to attack and get a damage bonus HOWEVER Skilled would also be super useful because my character had a wyvern egg that is going to hatch in 1-2 months game time and I’m not proficient in animal handling which I think could screw us over, and depending on whether or not you can double up in proficiency(?) I would probably put the other skills into nature, stealth or survival.

If anyone has any experience with these feats or any advice (or even any names for the wyvern egg which at the moment is just called Eggy) please let me know! ❤️

djreynolds
2019-05-27, 01:07 AM
GWM and reckless attack goes together like PB&J.

Lalliman
2019-05-27, 02:20 AM
As djreynolds partially mentions, Great Weapon Master and Pole Arm Master are amazing for a barbarian. But you're evidently not really looking for more combat power.

For Triton Deep Magic, your Charisma shouldn't matter, since none of those spells have a saving throw. Do note however that you can't cast spells while raging, so Warding Wind at least is likely to be unusable when it matters.

You can consider Charger if your GM is distinctly fond of large battlefields with far-apart combatants. But for general use it's bad, since it's weaker than just using Extra Attack.

Skilled seems like a good investment to make sure you can tame that wyvern. You can't take the same skill twice to get double proficiency though, you'll have to take all new skills.

Sparky McDibben
2019-05-27, 09:06 AM
Is this an aquatic campaign? Because I'd look at Grappler maybe - grapple someone and drag them into the water where you don't have a problem breathing but they do!

Also Lucky, Magic Initiate, and even Mounted Combatant can be good ones, although only choose that last one if you can get someone to train your wyvern.

sophontteks
2019-05-27, 02:13 PM
Is this an aquatic campaign? Because I'd look at Grappler maybe - grapple someone and drag them into the water where you don't have a problem breathing but they do!

Also Lucky, Magic Initiate, and even Mounted Combatant can be good ones, although only choose that last one if you can get someone to train your wyvern.

Grappler doesn't actually help much. A barbarian can already do this vanilla. :smallwink:

Naanomi
2019-05-27, 02:41 PM
Mobile is surprisingly useful in a 3D Game (especially if the GM ever considers ‘turbulent waters’ to be ‘tough terrain’

Damon_Tor
2019-05-27, 04:08 PM
Create water at will is easy mode for a creative player. 100 gallons of water a minute. Come on man.

Vogie
2019-05-28, 09:07 AM
HOWEVER Skilled would also be super useful because my character had a wyvern egg that is going to hatch in 1-2 months game time and I’m not proficient in animal handling which I think could screw us over, and depending on whether or not you can double up in proficiency(?) I would probably put the other skills into nature, stealth or survival.

If anyone has any experience with these feats or any advice (or even any names for the wyvern egg which at the moment is just called Eggy) please let me know! ❤️

Instead of going that route, I'd pick Magic Initiate:Druid. You can grab Animal Friendship for the Wyvern, and pick yourself up some utility/ranged cantrips. You already can breathe water as a Triton, but being able to Shape Water into simple objects (potentially simple weapons, depending on your DM), or bust out with something like Frostbite to give you some debuffing/ranged damage options.

Segev
2019-05-28, 09:17 AM
Instead of going that route, I'd pick Magic Initiate:Druid. You can grab Animal Friendship for the Wyvern, and pick yourself up some utility/ranged cantrips. You already can breathe water as a Triton, but being able to Shape Water into simple objects (potentially simple weapons, depending on your DM), or bust out with something like Frostbite to give you some debuffing/ranged damage options.

Wyverns are dragons, not beasts, or this would be a cool idea. How's your Charisma, OP? Proficiency is only between +2 and +6, so if you have a decent Cha, it might not be needed. There are also rules in Xanathar's Guide to Everything for spending money and downtime getting trained in a skill, if you want to go that route.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2019-05-28, 09:37 AM
What sources are available, and what are your stats?

WorldOnFire03
2019-05-28, 06:27 PM
Here are my stats:

Str: 18
Dex: 12
Con: 16
Int: 9
Wis: 14
Cha: 7

I know traditionally intelligence is the barbarian dump stat but my last two characters (different classes) have both done this so I wanted to do something a little different. It works well with the character because she ends up just being very socially inept and a little oblivious.

I wouldn’t mind having more magic but as someone pointed out I can’t cast spells while raging. At the moment I feel like the best option is to take skilled for the animal handling since my whole party is convinced that once Eggy (still doesn’t have a proper name yet) hatches he’s just going to eat us all 🙃