PDA

View Full Version : Moon Druid Wildshape - Alternative Approach

Sindri Balrog
2019-05-27, 10:40 AM
Hello everyone,

I really like the idea of the druid, especially the moon druid.
However, wild shaping has some serious issues:
- the power progression is not linear, but goes from almost overpowered to quite weak
- it depends on available sourcebooks and DM. If dinosaurs are vetoed, most high level options vanish.
- certain beast "archetypes" are only low-CR, effectively limiting what should be the moon druid main advantage, flexibility.

So, I decided to have a limited number of shapes, each covering a specific niche, which grow based on the druid's level.
In addition, the druid can always choose to use a shape of lower level than his maximum, plus some non-combat small/medium versions he can remain in twice as long.

Please consider the following spreadsheet.
You should be able to modify the level to see the forms' progression.
docs.google_com/spreadsheets/d/1o1HjGJZbCi57wU5OidA9yIt8DJcuSyK1ZMSpX6xBqzU/edit?usp=sharing
(I do not have enough posts for links, please substitute the underscore in the link. Or if somebody can post it below...)

I'm looking for feedback regarding:
- missing archetypes. I can think badger (for burrow), turtle (high AC), bat, shark...however, the idea was to keep the number of shapes low
- balance. both between the different shapes and in general compared to official version
- restrictions. I would still keep the original level limitations for swim and fly.
Would you add a (growing) limit to the number of shapes the druid can use at "full level", while the other are, for example, at LEVEL -3?

Let me know!

Spectrulus
2019-05-27, 10:56 AM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o1HjGJZbCi57wU5OidA9yIt8DJcuSyK1ZMSpX6xBqzU/htmlview#

I love spreadsheets, I use them at work all the time. I don't quite understand how this one reads.

It looks like you want all wildshapes to be large-huge, which I guess makes sense. I didn't see where/how the forms' attacks grow more powerful, just a large set of numbers on one side, and smaller on the left.

Sindri Balrog
2019-05-27, 01:01 PM
I love spreadsheets, I use them at work all the time. I don't quite understand how this one reads.

It looks like you want all wildshapes to be large-huge, which I guess makes sense. I didn't see where/how the forms' attacks grow more powerful, just a large set of numbers on one side, and smaller on the left.

Thanks for sharing the link.
Actually the whole left part of the sheet should have been hidden, it is the underlying structure. But i guess it can be left visible.

You *should* be able to modify the "level" cell (the one in yellow) in order to update all the stats on the right side of the sheet. All other cells are protected.

Maybe there is a better way to do it?

Nhym
2019-05-28, 08:26 AM
Interesting...