PDA

View Full Version : Quick 2 questions

ReluctantDragon
2007-10-05, 12:43 PM
Hypothetical: A party consisting of four bards. They all sing. Do all four separate bard songs provide a stacking bonus?

Hypothetical: A charging fighter wields a bastard sword two-handed. For the purposes of the argument, he has standard two-weapon fighting feats, but no full attack abilities(i.e. pounce). At the end of the charge, he makes a single attack with the two-handed wielded bastard sword. Would he then be able to wield it one-handed and hit again, if he has two-weapon fighting? Keep in mind no full attack adjustments exist for this person.

Just wanting to clarify a few things here. If possible please cite the rules that clarify, deny or pertain to these situations.

Thanks for the help guys,
RD

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-05, 12:50 PM
2 quick answers.

Hypothetical: A party consisting of four bards. They all sing. Do all four separate bard songs provide a stacking bonus?

Only if they are part of a barbershop quartet...

Depends on what they are "singing", but if they all use the same ability that grants say a morale bonus, the morale bonuses will not stack.

Bonuses or spell effects from the same source generally do not stack.

Hypothetical: A charging fighter wields a bastard sword two-handed. For the purposes of the argument, he has standard two-weapon fighting feats, but no full attack abilities(i.e. pounce). At the end of the charge, he makes a single attack with the two-handed wielded bastard sword. Would he then be able to wield it one-handed and hit again, if he has two-weapon fighting? Keep in mind no full attack adjustments exist for this person.

No, just as he would not be able to use two weapon fighting at the end of the charge if he was running with two pairs of scissors or even short swords.

Flying Elephant
2007-10-05, 12:50 PM

If you could do that, couldn't you just two hand any medium weapon to do TWF? Like a longsword?

ReluctantDragon
2007-10-05, 12:58 PM
2 quick answers.

Only if they are part of a barbershop quartet...

Depends on what they are "singing", but if they all use the same ability that grants say a morale bonus, the morale bonuses will not stack.

Bonuses or spell effects from the same source generally do not stack.

No, just as he would not be able to use two weapon fighting at the end of the charge if he was running with two pairs of scissors or even short swords.

Let's say this guy is a scout and has Dual strike. Is that feasible? Making two attacks with the same weapon, but with different hands?

And thanks for the quick answer, if possible can I get sources cited?

darthpower
2007-10-05, 01:11 PM
you may want to reread Dual strike it let you attack with two weapons on one attack roll there is nothing about attacking twice

Nermy
2007-10-05, 01:14 PM
Let's say this guy is a scout and has Dual strike. Is that feasible? Making two attacks with the same weapon, but with different hands?

Think of it this way: would your DM allow you to make a full attack with a two-hand wielded bastard sword and then put it in your left hand to attack again as part of a twf attack?

If the answer is yes, tell him next campaign you're going to play Pun-Pun since he will probably allow it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-05, 01:19 PM

No, you cannot use the same hand that has already been used to make one attack to also TWF. Just as you cannot attack with a weapon and then drop it as a free action and make a claw/slam attack if you have such a natural weapon.

You could dual strike with a TH-weapon and Armor Spikes though. :smallwink:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-10-05, 02:20 PM
Just as you cannot attack with a weapon and then drop it as a free action and make a claw/slam attack if you have such a natural weapon.
I don't see anything in the rules that actually prevents that. There is certainly no rule that prevents you from using the same limb more than once in a given full attack. Otherwise the whole idea of iterative attacks goes right out the window.

There are plenty of places in the rule that already establish the ability to use a free action in the middle of a full attack. And once you drop your weapon, your claw or slam will be free and qualify to make the attack.

I don't even see a good logical balance reason to prevent it either, since you'd be disarming yourself—a significant disadvantage.

As to the situation at hand: Two-weapon Fighting only applies when wielding two weapons. (Hence the name.) Changing you grip on one weapon does not change the fact that it is only one weapon. You do not qualify for any benefits from Two-Weapon Fighting as you are not wielding two weapons.