PDA

View Full Version : Index General PC Shopping List

Bjarkmundur
2019-05-27, 06:08 PM
In conjuction with my Black Market List (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?591346-Black-Market-PC-Shopping-List&p=23999999#post23999999), this thread is created as a supplement to players, aimed to introduce them to the goods and services commonly available in 5th edition. As a DM you could print this list and keep it on your table during sessions.
This list assumes that daily exchanges such as food, mundane items etc are included in a character's lifestyle. Modest lifestyle already states that a character can maintain his equipment, so I assume that many of these smaller services are included. You can handwave a lot of smaller exchanges this way, having it be 'free' for players of a certain lifestyle or higher.

Lifestyles
0gp: Wretched lifestyle for a month
3gp: Squalid lifestyle for a month
6gp: Poor lifestyle for a month
30gp: Modest lifestyle for a month
60gp: Comfortable lifestyle for a month
120gp: Wealthy lifestyle for a month.
300+gp: Aristocratic lifestyle for a month

Services
6gp: Unskilled hireling for a month
60gp: Skilled hireling for a month

Magic Items consumable available at half-price.

​50-100: Common magic item
101-500gp: Uncommon magic items
500-5.000: Rare magic items

Goods
1gp: Rope
1gp: Bag of Caltrops
1gp: ​Oil (10 doses)
2gp: Grappling Hook
2gp: Manacles
5gp: Healer's Kit
5gp: Hunting Trap
5gp: Chain
8gp: Mule
10gp: Lock (DC 15)

25gp: Holy Water
25gp: Acid
30gp: Hire a spellcaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?591347-List-of-Long-Duration-Spells&p=24000033#post24000033) to cast a 1st level spell
Goodberry (Druid)
Identify (Wizard)
Mage Armor (Wizard)
45gp: Studded Leather

50gp: Hire a spellcaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?591347-List-of-Long-Duration-Spells&p=24000033#post24000033) to cast a second level spell
Aid (Cleric)
Arcane Lock (Wizard)
Continual Flame (Cleric, Wizard)
Darkvision (Druid, Wizard)
Gentle Repose (Cleric, Wizard)
50gp: Healing Potion
50gp: Antitoxin
50gp: Alchemist's Fire
75gp: Riding Horse

200gp: Greater Healing Potion
200gp: Splint Armor
400gp: Warhorse
400gp: Breastplate

750gp: Half-Plate
1.500gp: Plate

2.000gp: Superior Healing Potion
3.000gp: Riverboat

10.000gp+: Ship
20.000: Supreme Healing Potion
List compiled using DnDBeyond (https://www.dndbeyond.com/equipment?sort=-cost)

KyleG
2019-05-28, 04:37 AM
I love the idea of having the party find a chest with a single gold coin in it and a note saying haha bet ya. They take the coin and add it to their coin bag. Nek minute coin bag is empty save a single coin. Coin of Greed?

Bjarkmundur
2019-05-28, 12:12 PM
I'm working on a tiered wealth rank system. Meaning that player's don't count coins, but can support a certain kind of lifestyle and have either free or limited access to items of certain values based on their 'Wealth Rank'. Knowing what the milestones are is very important to make this system feel right. Any additional purchases or uses of money are greatly appreciated.

Kurt Kurageous
2019-05-28, 12:14 PM
I love the idea of having the party find a chest with a single gold coin in it and a note saying haha bet ya. They take the coin and add it to their coin bag. Nek minute coin bag is empty save a single coin. Coin of Greed?

And what happens if they take the chest and leave the coin inside?

KyleG
2019-05-28, 07:32 PM
And what happens if they take the chest and leave the coin inside?

They have a chest with a coin inside.

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-02, 10:39 AM
Modified lifestyles and hirelings to be represented as expenses over a tenday, which I feel is a more reasonable use of these services.

Tanarii
2019-06-02, 11:04 AM
Modified lifestyles and hirelings to be represented as expenses over a tenday, which I feel is a more reasonable use of these services.
I usually think of lifestyle costs in "per month" terms, or 30 days. That's how most of us think in modern life anyway, i.e. rent and bills. And especially for what you're trying to do here, that seems like the appropriate benchmark.

nickl_2000
2019-06-02, 12:31 PM
I usually think of lifestyle costs in "per month" terms, or 30 days. That's how most of us think in modern life anyway, i.e. rent and bills. And especially for what you're trying to do here, that seems like the appropriate benchmark.

How often do you have PCs that are in one place for more than one month at a time where this applies?

Tanarii
2019-06-02, 02:56 PM
How often do you have PCs that are in one place for more than one month at a time where this applies?Each campaign session day now has 5 downtime days. If a player only play a given character once a week, thats going to be 35 downtime days.

(T1 characters played significantly less than that usually need to working for a living to defray cost of living expenses. T2 characters often retire to business as well.)

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-04, 05:12 PM
I think to display the lifestyle expenses as monthly expenses make sense if only for the relative position they now have in the list. Look at it this way, if you're hireing cooks to make your food or an accountant to take care of your band of mercenaries financials, you're probably living at least a comfortable lifestyle. I might tweak the time period a bit further, just to give players a better sense of budgets (as in, if it's within my budget to pay an esteemed cleric with magical abilities to cast spell on four strangers, I must be rich enough to afford X)

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-07, 08:05 AM
Added healing Potions. Can't believe we didn't realise they were missing.
Decided I like the ten-day lifestyle listing better. If you imagine a player going down the list and buying everything, I think you'll first invest in a modest lifestyle before buying things like flask of acid etc. So this order makes more sense to me.

furby076
2019-06-15, 08:50 PM
They have a chest with a coin inside.

Take the coin to an evil warlord. Throw it in with a bag of gems. The evil warlord throws it into his valt of pillaged gold. All the gold disappears...he cannot pay for his army, and is stuck with a bag of gems worth a couple hundred gold.

Bjarkmundur
2019-06-27, 04:24 AM
I really felt the poisons were cluttering the list. Seeing how they aren't even regularly available at markets, I've moved them to here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?591346-Black-Market-PC-Shopping-List&p=23999999#post23999999)

I've added the +1 armor, weapons and shields, as well as some spell suggestions (discussed here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?591347-List-of-Long-Duration-Spells)). I mean to use these lists as a sort of a "Purchase Cheat Sheet" for my players, so having these here helps with giving them a feel for the economy of 5e.

Malfarian
2019-08-17, 05:02 PM
World of Darkness had a nice system for this called "Resources", it was almost like a monthly trust allowance, but could easily be adapted to what I think you want to do.

It was essentially a 0 - 5 rating and then things were priced based accordingly. So if you had a resources of 3 and purchased an item costing 2 or less, your resources didn't change (maybe you could do this 3 times per month). If you bought a 3 cost item, your resources dropped to 2. So you could say that living at X level in a city cost Y resources and a player might live that way indefinitely or run out of funds quickly.

An imperfect copy of the rules is here:
https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Resources